Hive mind required for vibration problems (Vibration, not vibrator

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

FlatLine

Car
W211 2006 E280 Cdi Auto Avantgarde
W211 e280V6

I recently had a Volvo v5 diesel that required a new top engine mount, which I fitted and all is well

My Merc has the same problem vibrating on start-up and idling as well as an underlying noise, "thrummm" as well a vibration as I drive

1. When I drive and go round a left-hand bend, the vibration reduces/stops as does the noise

2. When I go round a right-hand bend, it vibrates more and it's louder

3. When I push the airbox on the passenger side to the left, the vibration reduces/stops depending on how hard I push it

It's been suggested that the airbox mounts need replacing

So, here are my questions for those of you that know these things inside out and more

1. Do the airbox mounts ever break/stop working?

2. Are they easy to check if they are in fact at fault?

3. Is it easy to check the engine mounts? Presumably, there's a way to do that?

Discuss :D:D

Thanks for that, I didn't know if that would work, I'll give it a go

I'll check youtube for a video on how to do it :)

Check engine mounts by opening the bonnet and revving the car , you will see if the mounts are worn. YouTube has many videos of this. In some extreme cases it looks like the engine is trying to climb out of the car...which it is in a way. Not all the mounts are the same, some are oil filled. Not sure what your car has.

Thanks, Pete,, I'll have a go. I must admit to failing to find any on YouTube. Must have spent an hour searching....... Obviously not entering the correct search terms 🙂

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Thanks for the video:) I'll do this

Right, using that method, it's the passenger's side where the engine lifts up looking for a way to escape

The driver's side lifts a bit but doesn't seem excessive

I assume I can change the one mount and see if it still vibrates before splashing out on the other side? :)

There are a couple of options: Original Mercedes £?? or Lemforder, Febi, Swag, Imperium, anywhere from £40 to £100

Is it necessary to stay with original parts? I believe Febi is Bilstein :)

Last edited:
Of course, it would be a good idea to ask, with these symptoms, :) which one is knackered? I've assumed it the passenger side mount

Having thought about what I typed above, most of it's crap:rolleyes::rolleyes:

So, I'm going to change both front mounts as well as the rear, the car is on 137k and the parts are only about £150 for aftermarket ie Lemforder

The only question is about genuine or aftermarket. Does it matter?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom