Hmm...decisions, decisions!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Will

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
GL63 AMG / 190E 2.5-16 / Porsche 911
Just going through one of those cold feet moments, looking at what car options are available etc. I'm reasonably happy with my current car ('97 C230 Kompressor Sport), but a part of me is bored! I've spent a fair amount recently, and as much as love it, I am slowly facing up to the fact that W202s are now OLD cars and my car is to most people just an old C-Class. They're also getting too common now, and lack modest exclusivity.

I like the spec of my car (Kompressor engine, full leather, heated seats, air con, sunroof, auto/cruise, sport trim and AMG wheels etc etc), but it's not stopped me from looking at alternatives!

Do I keep the C-class for say another year, upgrade now and get something else for a bit more ££££ (C43s are tempting with there ~ £10K price tags) or look at some more modest newer cars (I've seen a cracking deal on an Audi A4 1.8T Sport cabriolet - 2 year lease at £289+ VAT on a 3+23 basis) Even if I bought one (which I doubt I would do!) the residual values seem excellent, so although not a Merc or particularly exhilarating, it could be a sensible purchase.

Part of me wants something newer, the sensible side would say go for a new car (I've never had a new car myself), the other says go for something fun and special (eg a C43) but I am conscious that the running costs (servicing/repairs and the extra insurance/fuel etc) would be pretty high. I suppose the lower depreciation may help there though.

New W203s don't do a lot for me at present - the lower spec ones would bore me, a decent spec one new would be too expensive IMO, and a secondhand reasonable spec one would not be either brand new or very special!

I've got a thing against BMW, sorry if it sounds a little prejudiced, but after years of being a Merc man I don't know if I could change sides so easy!

So, under no ties or restrictions at present - I'm a free man, I can upgrade now, or whenever.

What would you do?

Will

Same position. However, I regards the C230K so good, nothing else I look at can match it without beeing beyond my budget by about 3 times!

I'd keep it for a bit longer.

I'm waiting to see what the w204 c-class looks like, might hang on for one of them when they're a year old or so in 2008 maybe :)

Hmm (again!) - Not sure if I can wait long enough for a W204 (2008?) - not sure if I can wait until 2006 lol ;)

I could lease the A4 1.8T Sport Cabriolet for 2 years and that'd take me to 2007? Might be some more interesting options then? After all, it seems to make financial sense (virtually zero running costs, ie a brand new car will not need anything significant for the first year or two as I don't do large mileages)

If I was to be negative about the Audi, I'd fault it for not being a Merc :D, FWD! :eek:, lower specification overall than my current W202 (features and performance overall), but it would have that 'brand new' appeal to it, and being a cabrio would make it more interesting IMO :) I'd not be interested in speccing it up too high as that defeats the purpose of the excercise, and makes it a less attractive option.

Adding leather and heated seats pushes the price up to £344 (+VAT) I think (means I basically pay the full cost of the upgrade :( ), but I am not sure if I could put up with a cabriolet without these options?

If I bought say a C43 and budgeted say £3-5K PA for maintenance (I'm talking less than 10K miles a year here), any extra would be a bonus and may just pay for the extra insurance and fuel (probably be about a grand on top of what I currently pay and fuel would be a few hundred a year more at a guess). Downsides would be that it'd be my third W202 (they aren't quite that special!) and the fact that it would still be an OLD car :(. Maybe the £10K price point means that they are less likely to depreciate, but is it enough to choose one over a newer car?

So being a fan of German cars (well, mainly MB) I don't feel that I have a lot of tempting choice at present. Half the reason I am tempted away from my current car is that it is becoming old and is naturally costing more to run than a newer car. Newer MBs don't seem as bombproof as the W201/W124 era, and the W208 CLK appears to similar in age to my W202s that I have had. I couldn't really afford a W209 (and I'm not sure that I'd buy one if I had that budget anyway), which leaves the W203, and apart from a C32 (probably not viable yet - ie max budget plus potentially expensive running costs, insurance and depreciation still), they don't really excite me (not for the five figure price tags they command anyway).

Which takes me back to the Audi. A great deal if I can be satisfied with the standard spec of an A4 1.8T Cabriolet (with Sport pack), and a not so great deal if I am not. For £289+VAT over the 2 years (ie under £4.5K a year all in, not MOTs or repairs etc) I can't really think of a more tempting new car at present.

I don't mind spending a large chunk of my money on something that presses the right buttons for me, but I hate driving something once the boredom sets in. You're never happy with your car, and are still paying money out to be in that position (in terms of running costs and depreciation).

So all considered, shall I go for a change which is IMO a 'sensible' decision (ie A4 cab), go for an older higher-spec car (something that I have always done to an extent) and what I save in depreciation, I spend on maintenance, or shall I stick with what I've got until I either see an incredible deal (lease or otherwise) or a car that I cannot resist (might be letting my heart rule my head if I do this! :rolleyes: )

Confused even more,

Will

It seems to me, (and far be it from me to try to second-guess someone I've never even met!), that you really want the Audi, you just don't want to 'abandon' Mercedes.

FWIW I say go for the Audi. You can afford it, you want it, and Mercs will still be around in two years' time.

PJ

imadoofus said:
It seems to me, (and far be it from me to try to second-guess someone I've never even met!), that you really want the Audi, you just don't want to 'abandon' Mercedes.

Good morning Will,
I would go along with imadoofus.

Reading your messages gives me the impression that you want a change of wheels? Once you get this 'itch' then usually the car you now own is on the way out?

Only you can decide on the next car, but it certainly reads like you are leaning towards an Audi.

Good luck,
John

Thanks for the words of wisdom guys :)

PJ and John, you're probably right. I think I don't like the idea of 'abandoning' Mercedes. I did this once before with a Lexus, and as much as it was an excellent car (and I can say with 100% confidence as it was probably far better in most ways than any MB for the price!), I became 'homesick' and returned to the marque in a matter of months.

The thing with the Audi is that I am only considering it really because of a process of elimination. I wouldn't be looking at an A4 cabriolet if either a) there was a MB which fitted my current requirements, or b) the Audi wasn't on such a fantastic deal (lease price works out at virtually just the cost of the depreciation on the model, leaving me my cash to play around with and I don't have the hassle of having to sell a nearly new car in two years' time :) )

So it comes down to a few things:

Will I enjoy driving the A4 as a FWD 1.8T engine varient?
Can I be happy with the standard spec + 'Sport' pack?
Am I willing to be tied into keeping it for two years?
Can I be happy leaving the Marque for the near future?

I'm going to go and see an Audi dealer this afternoon for a test drive to see what they are like (this is one of the most important factors after all!). If I like it, I have a feeling I'll be happy with the more standard spec and the two year tie will be forgotton (time goes quickly if you ask me - I've had my current car for over a year and it seems like a few months!)

I may not have to leave the marque completely, I still keep an eye open for another nice 190E 2.3-16 / 2.5-16 (still miss the old one ;) ), and that would do nicely to keep me in the MB community!

Should hopefully report back after the test drive!

Will

Your description of your thoughts sound very similar to mine.

A late w202 C230K with a few choice options is a very hard car to beat.

The FWD of the Audi would put me off.

I personally think you will like the turbo - what BHP is the A4 Cab varient though? About 180BHP? That migh be enough. The 225 TT felt really good when I drove one, likewise a 3ltr BMW 3 series not so.

The 230K spoils you - a match has to be forced induction or very large cc in comparison. To find that, German engineering, a high spec list and newer is why finding a replacement is not easy.

Still fancy a Audi A6 4.8, but I also fancy a drive of a BMW 330D. I hate to say it, but I think the low down torque could sway it for me.

Too many things happening in my life right now, but when things settle, the BMW test drive will be on my list.

Having said that, I have almost adjusted to the 190E I have been driving for the last 10 days - when mine returns it will feel like a rocket ship!

I've been through this 3 times now. The first time I considered a W203, the second time an X type ( close call I know!) and the third time, the facelifted w203. Each time I didnt do it. My car has no rust, does 130+mph (where permitted) looks great and is worth £1.50. Three people last week commented out of the blue about my car looking great...........so why change, I'd have to spend £15-£20k, thats money that just depreciates and my car is still getting better!

Will, yes your car is just an old C Class but it is better built then nearly everything on the market. Save your money and enjoy a great car! (all IMHO!)

That's the other thing. How many saloons of the same age look as good and as mean as a W202, slightly lowered on staggered AMG rims? None IMO.

Recently, whilst discussing finances with colleagues (how to raise funds for something), they all commented why don't I just sell my car. They all assumed it was worth in excess of £10K. OK, so they are very wrong, but it still gives that impression to the average Joe.

Last edited:
Will. Your car looks great on its 18in wheels and black paint! Keep it and enjoy is great ride, body control, handling, grip, build quality, image, looks, relative value for money

This is all really interesting, because I'm someone who's had loads of new (company) cars and only recently has been able to afford to buy a half-decent secondhand car outright, as opposed to with a loan or via leasing.

I've just bought a 1998 W202 C230K Sport and I have to say that in the £4000-6000 bracket I could've bought something far newer, such as a 52 plate Vectra SRi with leather, or a Y-plate Saab 9-3 HOT Turbo. I'd even contemplated leasing a new C180K Classic SE with leather as the deal was superb, but I was somehow less than turned on by that particular model; dunno why. I'd been looking around for ages when this Merc came up and the minute I saw it, I was hooked. It has character, subtle prestige (stealth wealth, as some people call it) and it's beautifully made - better than the new C180K I'd been considering, in fact. It's also much quicker than I'd anticipated and the running costs appear quite reasonable for a car with close to 200BHP. For the money, it seems as if it's too good to be true.

Just the thoughts of a Merc newbie. The grass may seem greener on the other side to those who've had these cars for years, but there's very little out there which will give you more for your money. That said (in response to Graham's comments about the BMW 330d), the dealer I bought the Merc from had a 1999 BMW 530d SE auto with leather and satnav, 90,000miles (FBMWSH) for a very reasonable £7995. With these kind of cars available used, I'm going to find it very hard to consider buying new, regardless of my finances.

BearFace said:
Part I
I've just bought a 1998 W202 C230K Sport It has character, subtle prestige (stealth wealth, as some people call it) and it's beautifully made - better than the new C180K I'd been considering,

Part II
the dealer I bought the Merc from had a 1999 BMW 530d SE auto with leather and satnav, 90,000miles (FBMWSH) for a very reasonable £7995. With these kind of cars available used, I'm going to find it very hard to consider buying new, regardless of my finances.

Your post makes very good reading and if I understand Will correctly he has complied with 'Part I' and is now approaching your Part II.

Well said,
John

I would say keep your Merc if you can. Hold onto to it as it will cost you less in the long run.

I was in similar position and was thinking of going to an Audi 4 sport Quattro as a stepping stone to another Merc later. But believe me once the Benz is gone your always left thinking you should have kept it. For me I had logical reasons to sell it and it made sense. I would never buy another car just so to wait for the one yiou want....always buy the car you can afford and want. The audi will be a compromise and where your heart isn't really there. it seems your trying to justify the swap to Audi. The ride in an Audi is not as comfortable as a merc.

I would keep it until you find something you really like and then make the change.

I have myself traded my car in and put a deposit on new IS.

However the new IS has not been well received in terms of pricing with BMW pricing strategy....ie base car and add options to make it worth having.

The IS sport or SE-L is the only spec worth having and it comes to over 30K which would get you a nice 330i or even a new C320cdi.

So unless lexus change their pricing for options which is not yet final i will steer away and probably either go for a Mbz next year or something totally different. The advice is save your money if you can and buy a benz with that money...it will hold your money better than most cars.

Will you can come and try the C43 and see if you like it, silly question you know you would like one.

Thanks everyone - great advice as always :)

I'm still at the 'thinking' stage. Hand on heart I can say that the performance of a C36/43 is tempting, but half the reason I want to change my current car is that it is costing more to run as it gets older and that I have had W202s for quite some time (with a few month's gap between the two ;) )

I agree with Graham. A couple of years of so back made the W202 C230K a very good car. German saloon, RWD, good value retention (they have/had lost the majority of their money by now) and close to 200 BHP. If you were to look for a newer replacement today, it's difficult.

So, if I had to change my car, what would you be looking at?

I've drawn a bit of a blank, and the A4 cab does seem like a sensible choice. I wouldn't have normally considered it, but as it's on such a great offer it makes it very tempting. Not that it's entirely relevant (as the only reason I started looking at the A4 cab was because of a particular offer I have seen), but can anyone think of a better 4 seater cabriolet (new) for ~ £25K?

Oh, and the test drive! It was good. Dealer friendly and helpful (as you would hope ;) ) and the car was nice. Interior is better than a W202 by quite some way, very tactile and neat. Reminds me of one of the bugbears with a W202, a more 'flimsey' car than the W201 190E before it.

I hate to say it, but to be negative about the W202, you could almost say it was the 'first of the not so well built Mercedes-Benz'? :eek:

Driving wise it was nice, but a little 'generic'. You certainly feel quite special driving in an MB, and this is not quite so in the Audi, although I am sure if I was to be 'snobbish' about it, most people today would prefer the look of a brand new A4 cabriolet to a aging W202? The 1.8T engine is smooth and responsive. Ultimately not quite as quick as my 230K, but the 1.8T could be worked harder without noticing, if that makes sense? It's in quite a 'low' state of tune compared to some of the other varients using this engine (225 etc) but doesn't feel as gutless, say, as my old C200. Certainly not frustrating enough to be off putting. Ride was fine (not something of great concern to a member with 18" AMG wheels, sport springs and Lorinser shocks!), and the driving experience was more than pleasant.

So - some decision making for me today. I think I'm going to have to decide pretty quickly if I am to proceed with the 'offer', but I'm under no other pressure. I discussed the offer that I have on the lease with a salesman from Audi, and he is going to get the 'Brand Manager' of the particular branch (who I met the other day whilst 'looking' at the model) to call me on Monday.

Peter - thanks for the offer but I would be worried of the temptation, letting my heart rule my head :eek:
I might take you up on it though - thanks :)

Will

Will said:
Oh, and the test drive! It was good. Dealer friendly and helpful (as you would hope ;) ) and the car was nice. Interior is better than a W202 by quite some way, very tactile and neat.

Hi Will,
It sounds like the A4 is definetely growing on you. You only live once and if you can afford it, then get back to the dealer and go for it.

What a boring World it would be if we all had the same taste.

Good luck with the decision,
John

A colleague had a brand new A4 (admittedly, the previous version) but had to get rid of it within 3 months because he suffered severe back ache from the driving seat. He said it was akin to sitting on a block of concrete. He now drives a Volvo.

I test drove an Audi A4 with sports suspension fast over roads I know in rural Somerset and it's the only car I've had to stop in because of car sickness.The suspension just does not work on UK roads, it never settles and deflects rather than absorbs bumps.AVOID the sports pack!The standard setup is better but lacks steering precision in FWD form over RWD cars.
A BMW 330i over the same route was brilliant,like most BMW's if feels so perfect in handling feel that the likes of Lexus can never match in press on driving.
My own W202 with new shocks fitted is somewhat dated in feel but way better than the Audi in comfort.If only Audi used the likes of Lotus to set up their 4x4 chassis for uk road conditions rather than smooth low camber German ones.

adam

bahamars said:
A colleague had a brand new A4 (admittedly, the previous version) but had to get rid of it within 3 months because he suffered severe back ache from the driving seat. He said it was akin to sitting on a block of concrete. He now drives a Volvo.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom