Hmmm. Y Reg W202. Discuss ???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

poormansporsche

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
W209
Alright good peoples.

I have owned and followed W202's for about 10 years now and in that time ive seen 3 or 4 Y reg cars for sale and on the road. They were all Wagons with the 200K engine and were all boggo spec and were of completely zero interest to me up until now.

I currently own a CLK320 CDI which is nice enough, powerful etc etc. Due to an upcoming change in my job it looks like I will have to get a lease hire van as my daily. I will still need a car though and what with the upcoming ULEZ (despite being 18 months plus away), I will need to sort a car 2001 or newer.
There are quite literally no petrol engined MBs after 2001 that float my boat what with the m271 / m272's and all the inherent problems. OK I could buy a m112 CLK but will be slower and more juicy than what I already have so not overly taken by that.

The W202 is my fave so I have 18 months to find one and sort to my liking if any still exist ?

So go on, anyone else ever seen one or know of one for sale ???

PMP

there are c30 listed on autotrader...

albeit some are older than 2001....and I thought production of the W202 stopped in 2000

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the clue is in the title :D

Well the OP does hint at that in the first post - he’s only seen 3 or 4 in the last decade ;)

From memory, and having had one, the estates don't seem to suffer from rust to anything like the same degree as saloons. Before my P reg estate became a pile of mangled metal there was no rust at all on it. I think it's because the wagons were all built in Germany,

The last estates had the 220CDI engine fitted. Finding one that hasn't been a builder's truck and isn't completely knackered will be next to impossible, I'm afraid but if you can stomach something older, then tax exempt vehicles can circulate freely in the ULEZ, so now's the time to buy that pagoda!

There are quite literally no petrol engined MBs after 2001 that float my boat what with the m271 / m272's and all the inherent problems.

Not tempted by something with an M113? Thirsty admittedly, but not slow, and bombproof.

From memory, and having had one, the estates don't seem to suffer from rust to anything like the same degree as saloons. Before my P reg estate became a pile of mangled metal there was no rust at all on it. I think it's because the wagons were all built in Germany,

A p reg would be pre facelift which always were better rust wise. It's always been my intention to build a C36 estate as they never existed. A few years ago I did buy a post facelift wagon project and the C36 kit to go on it. But it turned out it was suffering terminal rot to the windscreen Pilar's and ended up having to scrap it. Still it looked good for a few days :)

A m113 would be the engine of choice just not taken by any of the cars after 2001 bar the 209 and wouldn't be substantially better than my dirty diesel to justify 5 times the cost !

In a ideal world I'd want a y reg 202 with a m112 engine so I can bung in a m112k but he ho it ain't gonna happen :)

If I had to get shot of my CLK, it would have to be for something like this...

Mercedes CL 500 2004 | eBay

I would be extremely reluctant to buy a car to meet something like the ULEZ because they can move the goalposts in a heartbeat. I'll just take a few £12.50's on the chin and/or catch a few more uber's.

I'm with you on that but unfortunately a CL (or a w211 for that matter) wouldn't fit in my garage (not 100% a w202 will fit either - got to get my tape measure out - there wasn't alot of spare space length wise with my 190s !!! ) and the drive will be full with the van and the strifes SUV.

Unfortunately or fortunately depending on my hatred of the van the car will be used every other day so will need to be ulez compliant :(

The last estates had the 220CDI engine fitted. Finding one that hasn't been a builder's truck and isn't completely knackered will be next to impossible, I'm afraid but if you can stomach something older, then tax exempt vehicles can circulate freely in the ULEZ, so now's the time to buy that pagoda!
Indeed , and if it has to be estate look no further than W123 , probably the best tax exempt estate there is , and easy to drive every day .

but a pre "Y reg", or rather a pre 1st March 200 could be cheaper VED, depending on the emissions?

Pre 1 March 2001 and > 1549cc = £265
Post 1 March 2001: anything from £325 if petrol
- Mercedes-benz c-class (w202) MPG (Fuel Consumption)
- Vehicle tax rates

The ulez in London requires euro 4 for petrols but all mercedes petrol engines on a y reg (when co2 levels were started to be measured) meet the required levels of co2 so are not required to pay the £12.50 a day despite being euro 3

What goes around comes around.

Ive owned several X reg cars and had many a years of 100 quid tax saving smugness, not so smug now :) Most noticeably when I had my X reg 330i E46 and my mate had a 53 plate 318 and my tax was 100 quid less !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom