HMRC- has anyone ever won an appeal?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

englishdas

Car
57 E200 Kompressor
I have 4 solid cases of 'The Revenue's' cockups that have meant they're unable to still proceed with some of my tax calculations months after submission. And I've been penalised om all 4 cases, some of them twice as its now gone over 6 months past filing date, so it will be my second appeal on 2 cases.
I've never come across a more deluded misinformative bunch into life. Even the blooming prime minister had the moral high ground on their disorganization last year (which led directly to my issues with them) yet after assurances to the prime minister that things were now on control, I noticed no difference in improvements.

I even asked them what they've changed. I was told 'no comment'. It's not the desk staff that do my head in, its the rat runs of departments and crappy organisation and myriad systems.

So ill let you know if I win this appeal. I doubt it. Has anyone ever won an appeal against their decision, and inevitable penalty fine.

I have 4 solid cases of 'The Revenue's' cockups that have meant they're unable to still proceed with some of my tax calculations months after submission. And I've been penalised om all 4 cases, some of them twice as its now gone over 6 months past filing date, so it will be my second appeal on 2 cases.
I've never come across a more deluded misinformative bunch into life. Even the blooming prime minister had the moral high ground on their disorganization last year (which led directly to my issues with them) yet after assurances to the prime minister that things were now on control, I noticed no difference in improvements.

I even asked them what they've changed. I was told 'no comment'. It's not the desk staff that do my head in, its the rat runs of departments and crappy organisation and myriad systems.

So ill let you know if I win this appeal. I doubt it. Has anyone ever won an appeal against their decision, and inevitable penalty fine.

Only where they sent me a £100 fine for late payment when my accountant hadn't done his job properly.

They cancelled the £100 upon appeal.

I don't know of many appeals that have been won on a personal level but then it can depend on the circumstances and in some cases the amount that they would be set to receive from the fine.

I know of schemes that some companies run regarding tax relief through investing in certain industries that utilise loopholes within the taxation system which HMRC try to block (in unlawful ways if you were a normal company/individual - one rule for one and one for another?) but fail so then both parties appeal to the high court for some sort of ruling where HMRC lose but then try to appeal again to drag it out a bit hoping the other party will give up (which they inevitably don't).

If you've got all your evidence and a solid, detailed paper trail then you should be alright but you'll meet some stiff resistance from them so be prepared for a long battle.

Re penalties................... Played two, won one

Re appeals..................... Played one, won one

I submitted at least two appeals against an incorrect demand, both of which they ignored, but on submitting a formal complaint they sorted it out and apologised. Write copious complaints and complain also to your MP.

Yes, I've won loads - all corporate. But then, it is my job ;)

If you are appealing on technical grounds, then best of luck - make sure you/your advisers really understand the technical legal issues; this is where HMRC are reasonably strong. If you are appealing on administration grounds (i.e. you believe they have messed up) then don't forget you can also go to the Adjudicator, and after that if necessary to the Parliamentary Ombudsman (via your MP). This may be of some use.

Thanks for your advice chaps. I've informed them in my latest apppeal that my MP will be hearing about it next and that it is their administrative errors that have caused confusion. So We'll see. I fully expect them to deny my appeal and for it to go to Londonderry for the appeal against their decisions and have informed them that the letter and documentation to send there is standing by.

They fined me load over the last few months. We final came to agreement 3 weeks ago and they issued me a cheque for what they owed me. Only yesterday I recieved a fine for late submission of taxes....when they have agreed i was right. I had paid the full amount and was waiting for a rebate. If you ask me they dont knwo what they are doing, very frustrating when you call them as it seems on the phone very few have had enought training and its like banging your head againd a brick wall...with little bits of glass sticking out!! Rant over!!

They fined me load over the last few months. We final came to agreement 3 weeks ago and they issued me a cheque for what they owed me. Only yesterday I recieved a fine for late submission of taxes....when they have agreed i was right. I had paid the full amount and was waiting for a rebate. If you ask me they dont knwo what they are doing, very frustrating when you call them as it seems on the phone very few have had enought training and its like banging your head againd a brick wall...with little bits of glass sticking out!! Rant over!!

To make you and EngDas feel a little better about your situation, my BIL has just been sequestrated (Scottish bankruptcy) by the taxman for a long standing unpaid tax bill.
The Accountant in Bankruptcy is now involved, determining what assets they have that may satisfy the tax bill, and the house is top of the list :(.

Actually, I'm now thinking this may not make you feel better :eek:.

Haven't appealed as such... but following a VAT inspection at our business I demanded a letter confirming that no issues have been found (the lady took away with her copies of some documents 'for further inspection'), it took several requests and six month to receive said letter. But she did apologise for the delay saying she was on sick leave...

But she did apologise for the delay saying she was on sick leave...
That sounds oh so familiar. Mind you i am not complaining having just been informed of another four figure tax rebate :bannana::bannana:

In the early days of company cars, my Father decided he would claim the cost of garaging and cleaning his company car. The IR turned that down. He appealed. He lost, and appealed again and won, 3 years worth thanks to the time the appeal took. He enjoyed it....

They then changed the rules.

I appealed 4 years worth of no return being filled and won. Simple basis - they had failed to take note of the letters my employees had been sending them re my change of address.

If you have reasonable evidence and proof - I find they are normally very easy to work with and decent folks.

My son when he was about 18 and doing labouring work for countless builders received a tax demand for over a grand for "unpaid taxes".

They probably thought " 18 years old - labourer - probably a bit of a divy".

I got my accountant on the case and he worked wonders.

It turned out THEY owed him the money.

My accountant said it was a typical stunt pulled by the IR if they perceive the profile of an individual is likely to just pay up without further investigation.
Their coffers are so empty they really are resorting to quite shallow tactics.

Who has won...? Hmmm... that'll be Vodafone. (Amazingly, tax-paying Vodafone customers don't seem unduly perturbed by the multibillion tax dodge.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom