HMRC & Police raids on illicit alcohol shops

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
After the infamous London City Bond Case here and here, perhaps they are trying a different way to handle an investigation badly?

Now, call me a simple soul, but if I was planning to raid premises in the hope of catching suplliers and retailers of dodgy booze, I may be tempted to keep my mouth shut until after the raids...?

BBC News - Customs raids target shops selling counterfeit alcohol

Bit like announcing a campaign to catch speeding motorists.

The main aim is to try and deter. They'll hope that the announcement might dissuade some retailers from purchasing the stuff.

In terms of resources it's the distributors they really want to focus on.

The main aim is to try and deter. They'll hope that the announcement might dissuade some retailers from purchasing the stuff.

In terms of resources it's the distributors they really want to focus on.

Yep, it's all to do with allocating resources.

If you announce it in the press, then carry-out a couple of high-profile raids, you don't really need to do much else as this will deter others. A lower-cost (and similarly-defective) method than actually chasing these shops one by one.

They did that yesterday, announcing on local radio that there was a saftey campaign on the M4 with extra camera vans and Police patrols

Just the latest in a long string of HMRC PR puff pieces to prove they do "add value" and detract from the dreadful truth

Unlikely in this case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom