"Hold" Function not working.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rosetta

Car
C 200 SE 9G-Tronic Plus Auto
New member, new Merc.
Two issues:

(1) On my old C180 2005, the car would automatically "hold" the brakes if I was at traffic lights and was on an upward incline to stop it rolling.
Now I have a 2017 C200 that I bought on Saturday, but it doesn't seem to have this function, or ANY brake hold function, but it's supposed to have. I did an internet search and watched a couple of videos on how to hold it and it's supposed to hold, no matter what position the car is in, ie: waiting at lights on a flat road, or upward or downward incline. And, as you'll all be aware, to activate it, you're supposed to slightly release the brake, then press it again. However, this doesn't work!! As soon as I lift my foot off the brake, it just moves forward and when I press it again to try to activate the brake hold, it just stops, it doesn't hold because as soon as I release it again, I go forward again! Nothing appears on the dash, either. I've tried it a few times, but I just can't do it. Inevitably, I look like I'm stood at the lights and moving forward a few inches, then braking, moving forward again a few inches, then braking again. I also start to roll backwards if I'm on an upward incline.
It's seriously annoying!
Is there something in the settings that I need to activate?

(2) There is a red triangle with a car in it that lights up every so often on the dash. Only for a few seconds here and there and it's not very often, but I'm wondering what it is!

TIA.

The red triangle is the collision warning system, is to tell you it has detected an object in front, if you fail to brake in time the car will for you.

Brake hold, with your foot on the brake and the car stopped, (keep foot on brake) imagine you are doing an emergency stop and press it down once again, without lifting off.

Check my video here: (1:10)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The red triangle is the collision warning system, is to tell you it has detected an object in front, if you fail to brake in time the car will for you.

Brake hold, with your foot on the brake and the car stopped, (keep foot on brake) imagine you are doing an emergency stop and press it down once again, without lifting off.

Check my video here: (1:10)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Thank you so much! It works! All the videos were saying I had to release the brake, then press again - which on reflection, doesn't seem right. I knew it would be something simple.
I've checked out your channel, some great vids, so I've subscribed.

Thanks for the info about the triangle. :)

New member, new Merc.
Two issues:

(1) On my old C180 2005, the car would automatically "hold" the brakes if I was at traffic lights and was on an upward incline to stop it rolling.
Now I have a 2017 C200 that I bought on Saturday, but it doesn't seem to have this function, or ANY brake hold function, but it's supposed to have. I did an internet search and watched a couple of videos on how to hold it and it's supposed to hold, no matter what position the car is in, ie: waiting at lights on a flat road, or upward or downward incline. And, as you'll all be aware, to activate it, you're supposed to slightly release the brake, then press it again. However, this doesn't work!! As soon as I lift my foot off the brake, it just moves forward and when I press it again to try to activate the brake hold, it just stops, it doesn't hold because as soon as I release it again, I go forward again! Nothing appears on the dash, either. I've tried it a few times, but I just can't do it. Inevitably, I look like I'm stood at the lights and moving forward a few inches, then braking, moving forward again a few inches, then braking again. I also start to roll backwards if I'm on an upward incline.
It's seriously annoying!
Is there something in the settings that I need to activate?

(2) There is a red triangle with a car in it that lights up every so often on the dash. Only for a few seconds here and there and it's not very often, but I'm wondering what it is!

TIA.
Just press the brake a bit harder and hold will come on

:O)

I've not used HOLD before, but I've just tried it tonight. It works both ways for me, providing that if I lift slightly and repress that I don't lift enough that the car starts moving. If I release the brake and it starts moving I've lifted too much.

Hold brake is one of my favourite features on Mercedes cars. I've been driving Mrs RTR's Bimmer 1 Series this week and the number of times I've double pressed the footbrake before reaching for the handbrake is enormous.

Hold brake is one of my favourite features on Mercedes cars. I've been driving Mrs RTR's Bimmer 1 Series this week and the number of times I've double pressed the footbrake before reaching for the handbrake is enormous.
I agree. It’s a fab thing. I was gutted when I got my Auto Vito and it didn’t have to ‘hold’ function like the car does. 🥴😕👎

Surely the BMW has a way to hold the car in stationary traffic?

Surely the BMW has a way to hold the car in stationary traffic?
Sure just put in neutral, and handbrake up😀

No seriously my father who had a 3 series 2017, now sold, didn’t have any sort of hold function, I think the newer models do have now, but I have no first hand experience, I am just going by the hold button I see in pictures on the centre console.

My father’s Lexus has a good system which I like, switch engine on, press the hold button, and this will enable the hold function whenever the car comes to a stop, and you lift your foot of the brakes, no need to double press the brakes, but one has to press the hold button every time you switch the engine on, as it reverts back to the default off position when engine is switched off.

Glad I read this thread.. Didn't realise the feature existed till now. Been sat there with foot on brakes because its a faff to put it in park at traffic lights etc.

I had read the manual when I got the car but evidently missed the section about this.

Glad I read this thread.. Didn't realise the feature existed till now. Been sat there with foot on brakes because its a faff to put it in park at traffic lights etc.

I had read the manual when I got the car but evidently missed the section about this.
You are not the first nor will you be the last, who didn’t realise this function existed.😀

Whenever a post pops up about the hold feature, there is always some reader who never realised the function existed, but are overjoyed at discovering it, and having used it for the first time.

Would be keen to find out from what year this function was added, I know I had it on my 2007 W211.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom