hole in exhaust pipe - mot question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SilverSaloon

MB Enthusiast
Car
1994 W124 E300D Estate, 1985 R107 280SL
Hi

my wife's picasso failed the MOT on a couple of things. One being the "rear exhaust is blowing". Quote for £80 from Kwikfit to replace, so i thought i'd have a look as you can get the part for £40 on ebay.

Got car on ramps and the actual hole is on the pipe bit that the rear box connects to, so the middle section is the bit that would need to be replaced (no idea on price though).

I spent £15 on a patch kit from halfords that contained some "metal putty" stuff and a roll of silver tin tape. Seems to have done the job.

My question is that is a repair kit good enough (assuming it fixes the blow) to the car to pass then? or will they turn round and tell me the exuast needs changing?

As long as the repair is solid I see no reason as to why it should fail :)

truth is the exhaust does need changing a patch is only ever a temporary repair , should get you through the mot though

truth is the exhaust does need changing a patch is only ever a temporary repair , should get you through the mot though

I wasnt expecting it to fail on a hole to be honest so it took me by surprise.... once its through the MOT then i will buy the bits ready to replace, hopefully it will last until the winter is over.

i'd prefer to fit myself and save the cash but would prefer to do it in my own time rather than 10 days before the retest.

As long as it's not actually blowing it can't be failed.

Easiest thing to do, once you've repaired it is put a couple of exhaust clips over the patch, try and get the clips with the flattened band, they should help seal it plus making it look better than just a patch aswell as helping you through the winter.

I usually use some exhaust jointing compound, an old baked bean tin (opened up and flattened) and some jubilee clips.

£15 for a halfords repair kit, you were robbed :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom