hole in spare wheel housing w124 estate

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

michaelk3289

Car
2007 W211 E280 CDI Avantgarde
can anyone please advise if i should have a very small hole in the housing floor.

i took the spare out today and found it was wet on the bottom where it had been touching the floor

it sounds and looks to me like i have a leak and some corrosion but im hoping you can point me in the right direction

:dk:

..i wouldnt say small but there should be a rubber grommet (hole) in the wheel well.. thats assuming the grommet has gone walkies and you are left with a hole?

pics would be better to distiguish..

Last edited:
Neat round hole with a rubber grommet is meant to be there. Jagged round hole, brownish in colour...rust. Not rocket science.

Not a vital place, you will not fail the MOT because of it since its not regarded as structural in that area.

will try and upload pics, it was very grubby and all i could see what the floor below, couldnt make out a grommet or rust for that matter, i guess i should clean it and take pics

but now that you say there should be a rubber grommet that sounds like it may be that

thanks

grommet is in the middle-ish of the well, you will be able to make it out.

put it this way, if you see tarmac through the hole then you missing somthing or you got corrosion buddy

Check the other side aswell. There should be a grommet just anterior to the rear washer bottle. They frequently get blocked with muck. Also the rear side windows are a known place for water ingress as the seals tend to fail so its important to keep the drain holes clear.

Check the other side aswell. There should be a grommet just anterior to the rear washer bottle. They frequently get blocked with muck. Also the rear side windows are a known place for water ingress as the seals tend to fail so its important to keep the drain holes clear.

yep ^ apparently very common on the estates with the seals at the rear

yep ^ apparently very common on the estates with the seals at the rear

After rain, with the spare wheel removed reach up to feel the underside of the rear window area. If it's damp then that's probably the source. Worst case scenario it'll be crumbly rust......

The grommets are cheap and easily available from MB dealers. Whilst you are checking the drains there are 2 with cone shaped rubber grommets in the floor behind the front wheels. Also check the drains from the sunroof and the ones at the corner of the windscreen. The water should drain out behind the plastic insert under the front wheel arch.

Water drain doc

i have a doc that shows drain holes for various 124's helped me wonders.

attatched:thumb:

Edit: its too big! i'll email it to you..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom