Holes on the floor

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

01alam

Hello All,

I have a 1973 W114 Coupe, found some holes on the rear floor and when cleaning the car.

I am tempted to just weld them, HOWEVER, they all seem perfectly well formed and the floor looks rust free and also checked underneath, seems neat.

Just wondering if anyone know whether this holes are there for a reason? I notices on the both side, one on each side of the rear passenger floor, there is one big hole each side, one side have a soft rubber cover and the other doesn't, this led me to think whether it is designed like this?

This design (or flaws, not yet identified) might also be happening in W123's, it would be useful if anyone could shed some light on this issue.

Thanks very much.

Angus

As above, you can plug the holes with BLANKING GROMMETS, scroll down to the bottom of this page.

Dec

Thanks Laf and Dec,

Attached are some photoes, could very well be drain holes.

Cheers
Angus

Last edited:
The oblong shaped hole in the front is for the parking brake. There should be one on either side to accomodate LHD and RHD. I'm not sure if the holes in the back are meant to be there. Chances are someone drilled them to allow water to drain from the floor.

Thanks 74Merc,

Any idea how to cover the large oblong size hole? I am actually tempted instead of welding it, use what Dec has suggested, some removable rubber plates, just incase it needs draining int he future.

Angus

Any waterproof gap filler like Mastic or expanding foam from your local hard wear store will do that, the idea is to keep water out, if you need to drain water out in future then just force a hole though whatever filler you use.
The grommets that I was suggesting are only for clean round holes in metal.

Dec

Gaffer tape inside and a little smear of silicone sealant from undernteath to finish it off, easy to remove in the future if need be.

Lynall

Thanks Dec and Lynall,

Great idea about the gaffer tape, hopefully I will be ale to find all the holes on the floor, and only drive it when its dry!

Thanks,
Angus

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom