Holford Motors: Finally, an affordable, trustworthy garage for the Classics :)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Screwdriver

Greetings,

I've been on the lookout for a trustworthy garage following an outright disastrous experience with Automerc in North London and being conned by Mark Cosovich, who mechanically restored my W123.

I found Holford Motors through a fellow Mercedes enthusiast, and was able to establish a rapport with Paul, the co-owner, rather quickly. Paul and his partner were trained on the 70's models (he is in his late 50s). Very friendly and direct, he was surprised to see a W115 240D pull into his garage. By his own admission, he thought most of them had rusted away. On my fist visit, he had a W113 and a R107 parked in the rear of the garage (he laughed when calling it the "special attention" area). The front of the 5 car garage housed the newer released models which he also works on.

We got talking about the Classics and you could tell right away that Paul has learnt all the lessons needed to work on these cars. For instance, he has a zero power tool preference. Every part typically comes off or goes on by hand and feel only. Another great example is that he will source or accept only MB parts for his work, as he has to provide a guarantee and cannot do this with parts from companies like URO. If these aren't available, OE suppliers next. This was music to my ears! I could see several discarded dealer parts boxes and knew that I had found the right place. If he can't find something at his MB dealer, he'll let you know. It would serve you well to help him locate parts for your vehicles directly, as I do.

His £55 per hour labour rate, and 2 minute proximity to the Tube, sealed the deal for this Londoner.

If there are downsides, it is that he doesn't rush his jobs, so you must budget for this time wise. This also limits how many vehicles he can accommodate but he will book you in if he is busy. They don't do bodywork, and are ideal for mechanical expertise only.

Feel free to PM me for more specifics if needed. Let me know that you heard of him through Aviv (me) and he'll be sure to take care of you.

Cheers!

Took this picture after spending a good hour talking about classics with the guys and checking up on the W115 they are helping me restore. Every time I visit, I always leave with a wide smile on my face.

Attachments

• IMG_7774 2.jpg
    IMG_7774 2.jpg
    629.3 KB · Views: 43

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom