Holiday to Egypt

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nigel cross

MB Enthusiast
Car
W164 ML350 Audi S4
Never been before any tips?
Whats the best currency to take?

ummmmm... Egyptian pounds?

seriously... and some travellers cheques for US Dollars

Sorry I forgot the tips bit..

Always always carry some change (depending on where you're going there's bound to be some entertainment - and they have entertainment tax there).

Also if you get sucked into a shop in the bazaar be prepared to be fed and watered - thus obliging you to buy something you probably didn't know you *wanted*.

Tip little and often if you have a guide.
Take some hydration salts with you, and some imodium or similar - I believe Pharoah's Revenge is inevitable despite not drinking stuff with ice-cubes in, avoiding salads I got it pretty bad.

Take bottled water everywhere you go - don't forget to drink it - it's easy to get dehydrated without realising.

If you're going to Luxor or even further south - consider a one day trip to Cairo - it's well worth it for £40.

Oh and finally if you're offered 17 camels for your wife - take it, it's probably a good deal!
(wish I'd accepted the offer for my now ex)

1. Dont buy egiptian pounds. They worthless to them. Use dollars, pounds, euro.

2. Always try to drop prices - there is always room for that. Never accept first offer NEVER!!

3. Dont drink water diffrent then from bottle.

4. Go for all-inclusive - you cant go wrong with that.

5. Be very patient (?) when they tring to sell things. They will be doing this ALL DAY LONG :p

6. Enjoy it as much as possible - Egypt is great for holiday destination.

7. Remeber to look for transfer.

8. Look for closed reasorts.

9 Go scuba or snorkling.

10. Dont forget your hotel voucher (like I did).

11. Make sure you buy good insurance (just in case) - I had to pay £100 for nurse treatment when I cut my toe badly.

12. Its a good idea to go for injections at your local GP before you go. That way you prevent yourself from stomach problems.

Ive been there with my wife only once (Hurgada) and we loved it. Its was great to spend a week in 4 star resort.

Other then that I cant say much becouse I dont know much :D :D

I usually take a couple of hundred Egyption pounds for the first few hours/day and then withdraw money as required via hole in the wall.
Where abouts you going, that will make a differance?

Regarding the above post:
1/ why not?
2/ correct, always barter
3/ yep, bottled every time
4/ don't, enjoy the local eateries, usually very good
5/ correct, run away!
6/ correct, superb place
7/ ?
8/ see 4
9/ a must, best in the world (that's all I go for! note to self : need to see other stuff)
10/ not sure if thats all hotels
11/ always required, anywhere
12/ injections will not stop the trots! not drinking tap water will. salads washed in tap water can cause problems but you wont now if it was for about 4 hours.

Last edited:
Been to Cairo once and would never go again. Although we went as I had a job interview there and were flown out by the company for the weekend. Apart from the job thing ,which turned into a nightmare,the town is dirty ,people are rude ,you dont feel safe walking around, you stick out like a blind cobblers thumb as westerners and become a target for money, you dont know what your eating, and we didnt expect to see a Burger King 20 yards from the sphynx which kind of took the spectacle away.

9/ a must, best in the world (that's all I go for! note to self : need to see other stuff)

I completely disagree with this statement.

Great Barrier reef is the best
Palawan is in second place
Red Sea comes a close 3rd

Genuine story - we had a little chappy for our room service, he would knock 3 times a dad at different times, each time, i open the door - he walks right in checks the fridge etc. This went on for 5 days. I placed a do not disturb on the door, he knocked!!! I opened it, he went to walk past i told him we were getting some rest - he walked past!!! "i come to check TV" ???? i thought. Turned it on Saddam was being sentenced to hanging he looked and said "you like saddam?" "i dont know about politics" i said, "saddam good man" he said. No more said - every where you go, there are bomb detectors - not good!

If you're heading to Egypt, bring lots of immodium.

Also factor in you might need a week off work on your return to get over the Delhi Belly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom