Holiday to Jersey - suggestions?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robert.saunders

MB Enthusiast
Car
W210 E300TD
Hi gang

We're off to Jersey for 4/5 days (9-12/13 Jul) and we're flying from Gatwick and staying at the Pomme d'Or hotel in St Helier. I don't intend on hiring a car as I want to relax a little.

I haven't been before, and apart from the underground hospital museum which I intend to see, I don't know what else to fit into the few days whilst there.

Any ideas as to what to see etc?

Many thanks in advance

Rob

Depends what you're into really! There's a good zoo, which was founded by naturalist Gerald Durrell and the subject of some of his books. There's a big prehistoric burial mound that you can go inside. There's a castle you get out to by DUKW (WW2 amphibious truck). Will see what else I can remember!

We did hire a small car .. makes getting around a lot easier.

See if you can get a boat trip to some of the other islands - Herm, Jethou(sp?) Sark.
Herm, IIRC has a beach entirely made of shells, and Sark has no motor vehicls, and is almost a fairy tale island.

Just don't forget they are not part of the Europea Common Market so duty free entitlements are worth checking out. Weather at the moment is not to brilliant, but it will certainly be better that where you are. :)

Have a great time and enjoy yourself.

Regards
John

Watch out for the local beer, I think it's called Mary something.
I had the worst hangover of my life in Jersey, we hadn't intended going at all but discovered that we'd misplaced our passports at the last minute and Jersey was the only place where we didn't need them.
I spent an awful morning sharing a bench in the centre of St Helier with some OAPs trying to nudge me off their seat, feeling like the world will end any second (secretly wishing it would end and put a stop to the hellish hangover!)

The underground museum was great, as was the zoo. I think you'd be best getting a car for a few days as it's easier to get around and at your own pace.

Just treat the local brew with some suspicion!

To this day I console myself when I've overindulged that nothing could ever be as bad as that morning in Jersey

Thanks for the comments. I may well decide on a small car for perhaps 1 day, we shall see how we get on. I was under the impression the bus :devil: service was reasonable?

At the moment, the prospect of any break from the money-pit (house) will be a bonus; after this relaxing break we've got a hectic week in Brighton at the folks so it'll be nice to recharge before the usual mayhem when we head for the south coast!

I have heard about the local-ish beverages, I think I'll have to let you know what happens :D

Any suggestions on eateries?

Hmm I know they have been having a lot of problem with the Ducks at the minute. Although I believe they Castle should have re opened last week.

St Brelades Bay is probably one of the nicest beaches on the island.

It depends what you are after really. I have vistied the Zoo, Underground Hospital and Gorey Castle, Grouville is another really nice area. Great food from the Village In. I think its called.

St Helier. Very nice restaurants in town. You should be able to pick up some visitors guides when you land. If its your thing then you can visit the Isle of Sark. Approx £40 pp for the day. Thats like taking a step back in time.

I would recommend getting a car although parking restrictions can be a pain. Especially in St Helier during the week. Esplanade car park in the centre fills up by 8:00

Last time I vistied was coming over from St malo after travelling to Spain so I had my motorbike to travel round on. Just remember if you drive its a 40mph max limit out there.

I would also recommend going on one of the Coastal island tours.

Think thats about it :)

Thank you very much, some helpful suggestions, I think the car is looking an option - can I hire something unusual (like a BERGERAC model :D ) for a day or so?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom