Holiday to Russia in a Mercedes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DITTRICH

MB Enthusiast
Car
S205 C200SE & W202 C230K
Just come back from my trip to Russia and thought I would relate my experiences. This is a cut and paste from another travel forum and icludes some travel/hassle type information. I've added bits to explain where necessary.

I bought car insurance on the Finnish side of the border at Brusnichnoye. Did not cost alot - about 40 euros for 30 days. Green card doesn't extend to russia yet.

Border crossing on Russian side was okay except they didn't know about migration cards (like landing cards) and did not give me one (Ha Ha see later). I got only a 2 week temporary import permit for the car in spite of my protests to give me one for the length of my visa (2 months). Did not need to give photocopies of any documents. They just looked at my Russian insurance certificate and my english car registration documents. I already have a russian driving license but took and international driving permit as well just in case. I made an ordinary customs declaration in duplicate and kept a stamped copy.

Visa registration without a migration card in moscow took a whole day. Very exhausting ans lots of pushing but eventually got a migration card from OVIR and got it stamped. result! I could have not registered at all, but since I needed to extend the temporary import certificate at Tsaritsino (Customs HQ), I needed it.

Trip to Tsaritsino wasted a whole afternoon but everybody was quite kind and helpful. The administrator tried to infer that my migration card wasn't in order because they messed up the dates (visa to 15/9 but registered only to 30/8. Migration card is need to extend temporary import. Car was inspected and assessed. Paid about RBL 4,000 fixed fee for good with value $5k - $10k. Received certificate. Inspectors offer to buy my car!

Got stopped by the DPS (cops) 3 times in 5 weeks. Twice for documents - all in order. Once for speeding but got let off! (116kph in 75kph zone).

Officer:You were going very fast!
Me:Really? But this is the Moscow-St Petersberg motorway with a 110kph limit. (It was a section through a small village - not a motorway).
Officer: you were going 116 in a 75 zone (shows me radar gun)
Me:Really? Where is the 75kph sign?
officer: It's over there (points)
Me: Really? I'm sorry I didn't see it cos I was overtaking a car at the same time (this was on the equivalent of double white lines - but this was not the issue here).
Officer: Where are you from? (looks at number plate, wife etc in car)
me: Returning from holiday to london, United Kingdom.
Officer: Okay, go a little more slowly in future!
me: Thank you, have a nice day! (cue swift departure)

Cruising around was very easy as cars tended to get out of the way for the mercedes!

Disaster struck on the last day in heavy traffic in moscow when a ZIL-130 rear ended me and took out one tail light and the whole estate tailgate. DPS handed sitation very well and were really helpful and polite. Filled in accident form and exchanged details with truck driver.

At the site of accident, DPS write report. Vehciles moved of the road and everyone has to write a statement which the DPS keep. Given date to turn up at DPS office for decision. Got lots of contact phone numbers for all other drivers involved. Owner of vehicle turns up with his friend who speaks a little english. They feel guilty and give me some cash to buy a new tail light. They tried to find and buy one for me (really!) but failed.

I stop off at mercedes office in moscow and discuss car with mechanic who recommends and independant outfit who can do work at short notice. Book car in at garage same day and authorise gathering of spare parts needed.

Next day go to truck drivers insurance comoany to ascertain claims procedure. Everybody helpful and gives me list if stuff I need to gather.
Note the claim is made by the innocent party to the guilty party's insurance company.

Three days later turn up at DPS office for decision. Other driver doesn't turn up. Phoned owner of vehicle and gave my mobile to the DPS officer dealing with our case - he has words with the owner(!) After 90mins other driver appears (!). Driver admits guilt and I get some forms - protocol, prilozhenie 12 and 31 and reshenie (decision). Note protocol can only be written in the presence of all parties to the accident.

Travel to the garage. Pick up the car - not yet repaired (needs to be inspected in damaged condition). Drive to the insurance company and fight to get claim registered. They said english registration document and passport need certified translations. I throw a fit in their office and the claim gets accepted (using the temporary import certificate to back up the vehicle registration) They still claim I can't collect the money in cash until I get certified passport translation but I solve this another way. I fill an application/claim form.They take the forms from the DPS and the accident form where details exchanged. they give me copies and stamp them. Allocate me a claim number. They say payment only after 15 working days. Alot of sitting around then car gets inspected. Inspector writes up the report REALLY well. I get copy of the report. Drive back to the garage to install new parts previously bought and painted. Garage does job in 24 hours (tailgate already painted).

Next day I give a doverenost (power of attourney) to a relative to collect the money on my behalf using their russian passport which doesn't need a certified translation. Collect the car at 6.30pm. This is Friday - 4 days after accident, 2 days after DPS office and insurance company.
Garage owner offers to buy my car!

Next day set off for finnish border. Getting out of russia was easy. I made one customs declaration for whole family of 3 people. Customs kept the temporary import extension from Tsaritsino. Passport control didn't even ask about a migration card (kept it hidden to see if they would notice).

So that was it. Alot of hassle but my russian improved alot. Fantastic journey through europe and back plus travelled alot in Russia. It hasn't put me off one bit.

Rgds

Les

PS drove 8,000 miles - 3,000 there, 3,000 back, 2,000 in Russia.

Hi. Interesting read. You say you have a Russian license, but I am unsure of your nationality (hope you don't mind me asking) and I presume you are a Russian speaker, or not?

I'm English by birth, but learned to speak Russian whilst working in Russia there 94-98 .
Les

Hi Dittrich, What an experiance you had, If i understand it right you went in the 300d W124, How old is the car., and did you have any problems, or did you have to check the merc ever so often for levels and other generally,if so did you have to replace anything?? (I have a 300d salon - 1988),its very interesting to know you did 8000miles-and how long/weeks were you driving?. - You know you should have attached a camcorder in front and recorded the whole return trip,showing the milage, iam sure even mercedes would find this interesting to know.Sorry about the hit,hope all is well now? -

The car is 08/94 . The day before I set off, the glow plug light came on, but since its fairly hot out there, starting wasn't a problem. Had a big service beforehand oil/atf/filters and replaced some rubber bits in the propshaft. Going 2,925 miles in 4.5 days with 1,119 miles in one 18 hour period. Did 2,000 miles over 1 month. Back 3,000 miles in 8 days with family in the car. Car performed flawlessly. Theoretically, I could have / should have had the oil changed - but I figured once the insurance comes in I'll get it done - 2 weeks. Oh and the dashlight went on the last day in Belgium. Mileage ranged from 36 - 40 mpg. Took some advice off of a russian MB forum before buying a diesel. Petrol in Russia not too kind to engines even though they have unleaded there now. Video? Maybe next year!
Les

Thanks very much for sharing your adventure with us. It certainly highlights the benfit of being able to speak the language of the country you are visiting.

What do you think would have happened if you could not speak Russian?

Thanks again,
John

Russia by car

DITTRICH said:
I wouldn't have gone!!!
Glad to hear your trip was success. Hope your visa procedure went smooth with Finnish agency. I did spend about half of my time for 5 years in SPb without proper knowledge of Russian language having no problems. The turist should know the Cyrillic letters for sure, otherwise navigation by car is quite difficult. I did 150 trips mainly to SPb by car (Volvo 940 Diesel) with no problems, nobody ever touched the car, had the car properly insured for sure.

Still miss the feeling of St. Petersburg, not to mention the most helpful and friendly Russians and cultural offerings.

Dear Markku
I eventually got my visa in London but your Travel Agency contact told me exactly where I could buy insurance at Nuijamaa and the opening times. Thanks for that. By the way, I learned to recognise Finnish and Swedish speed cameras and even saw one in Finland that had been 'adjusted' by (I assume) an over-enthusiastic motorist! At the Russian border, you would not believe the number of Finnish drivers staring at my car (and everyone else too) because the EU number plates are from WALES (letters=CYM) yet I had also put a GB sticker on the car. No-one knew what country CYM was for! Also the Russian outfit that repaired my car after an encounter with a ZIL truck managed to put an advert for their moscow garage on my rear plate so now I have GB sticker + Wales number plate + Russian garage advert!
Rgds
Les

My wife is Russian (I'm Lithuanian) but we've decided not to go there in my W140, since only mafia drives in cars like that. There's a lot of hijacking going on in Moscow and afterwards there's a lot of trouble... I prefer plane in this case. :)

The russian insurance company just paid me 38,000 roubles (£760) on my insurance claim! Yippee! I feel like I've beaten the system!
Les

Reactions: PJH
congrats Les.

My best friend and flatmate is a Moscovite. He has lived in the for 12 years and recently got his british passport. The people are wonderful and I am looking forward to the caviar and vodka that is waiting for me at home - courtesy of the Chkalovs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom