Home AV questions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DavidL

MB Enthusiast
Car
s203 C55, x218 CLS63
I'm no great audiophile but I quite like the surround sound experience on the odd occasion I get to watch a film. My old speakers were quite useable but not very in keeping with our old cottage so I kept an eye out for some more and bought a whole bundle of monitor audio rosewood speakers which are very smart and, I gather, fairly decent quality.
The old 5.1 system was a pioneer one which had the disadvantage of having the powered amp in the sub but I have an even older yamaha 5.1 amp which gave good service a while back and I hoped would do so again. But the process of connecting them is a bit of a problem so I wondered if any more knowledgeable folk may be able to help.

DVD is from a pioneer xv-dv 990. I have discarded the speakers but the dvd player has no direct to plug power lead. There are 2 leads going to the sub/amp which I assume must be power and comms.

Is there a way of connecting this to the power without the sub? The ones marked A and B are the 2 in question.

Next the other amp is a yamaha DSP A592. Mostly ok to connect the speakers except the sub. The MA 360 HD has connections like this

2 stock 2 way phono leads (3), but the amp has only one input for the sub

So again can I link them all together? I have a horrible feeling I know the answer but thought I'd ask. Why is nothing ever straightforward!
Thanks
David

David if you have no help on this i would go to an audiofile site and see if you can ask the question on there ..I have used them before ,but a long time ago now to tell you the mame of it . Sorry but when it working i hope the sound is out of this world ..

David,

If I'm not mistaken what you have there is an all-in-one system where DVD and surround amp system were combined as a package.

Unfortunately you have little chance of integrating it individually with other AV equipment, certainly this was the case with the Sony DAVS kit I used to deal with.

Last edited:
I can answer the second question.

Amps only output a single phono output to active subwoofers (a sub that has its own amplifier) as all the connection is doing is carrying the signal, all you need to do is connect that phono on the amp to the right input on the sub using a single cable. See below

BlueRigger Dual Shielded Subwoofer Audio RCA Cable with Gold plated connectors - 2.4 Meters https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008UGPBXM/?tag=amazon0e9db-21

I'll have a better look at your first question when I have more time this evening. If you don't get an answer by then.

Unplug A or B one at a time to find which one gives power to the xv-dv 990. When it fails to light up you will have located which one supplies power to the DVD player. Unfortunately it may be that all power transformer and rectification circuity lies in the woofer unit and it only supplies low current/ voltage dc power to the dvd player[ home theatre] in which case you will be forced to use the woofer unit to power the dvd if nothing else.

DVD , and even Blu-ray , players are so cheap these days I wouldn't bother messing with the Pioneer .

If you still have all the bits of that system , stick it on Gumtree or eBay and get something back for it , then pop down to Currys and get a new player to use with your Yamaha amp .

I think that seems to be the best course of action, keep the amp but change the dvd player.
As Doodle correctly sadi it is an AIO system which has done it's job but the sub is too large to keep as a power source. I'll just see if there is a circuit diagram for the sub and see if I (or anyone esle) can make any sense of it.
Thanks all
David

Don't blow too much on the DVD/Blueray player....physical media is well past it's sell-by date these days. Just look on it as a way to play your old disks.....and we all know how often that happens!

Content all "comes up the wire" in the 21st centuary..

Good luck getting it all working, it will be worth it in the end. There's nothing like a decent 5.1 system to bring out the best in a blockbuster..

.....or even a concert...

Having had a quick look at blu ray players most seem to major on their connectivity, which we already have through the TV, and seem to minor on connections. A HDMI and a LAN cable if you're lucky.
I shall need to find one that allows RCA connections for the amp.
All fun and games.

You really need to use the SPDIF (optical/coaxial) output for best quality.

"Phono" connections are interference-prone in areas where digital "stuff" is around (which is everywhere!)

Unfortunately the game has moved on quite considerably since that amp was released - HDMI is the defined standard for any sort of hi-definition AV.

RCA will quite probably be 2channel only, and I'm not sure the A592 has optical connections.

There seems to be some sort of hdmi convertor (Tendak) which splits audio and video from a single hdmi output. Seems to be the way to go.

Having had a quick look at blu ray players most seem to major on their connectivity, which we already have through the TV, and seem to minor on connections. A HDMI and a LAN cable if you're lucky.
I shall need to find one that allows RCA connections for the amp.
All fun and games.

I found that a couple of years back when shopping for a Blu-Ray player - most seem quite minimalist in their socketry - I ended up looking on Gumtree and buying a used Panasonic unit which had been quite expensive in its day but on offer at a low asking price .

The base models in the shops tend to have HDMI out and not a lot else .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom