Home CCTV Camera advice please

• Thread starter Deleted member 113659
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Plenty of good systems about. We have a system Q set up, six cameras and nvr. Accessible from an app, can be viewed from anywhere and is set up to send pictures via email if required.
Most decent systems will be able to do this.
Fairly straight forward to fit with Poe cameras and the tech sort of does the rest for you.
Good lighting is the key to good night pictures, IR will just show “ readybrek“ people at night.

Sannce (or however it is spelled) do some great setups, I feel though the Ring offerings are easier in the long run being modern/easily accessible tech

I really do not like the way Ring has given away to police without any warrant, access to recordings, in the US at least.
I saw UK Police forces ‘giving’ 5000 Ring doorbells away almost like a way to establish an additional surveillance system outside of any legal framework.

I agree with going for some PoE cams and an NVR. Synology NAS devices have a decent solution with support for two cams without additional licences.

Again, thanks for the input all. 👍

I’ve ordered this: (Thank you @Delderek 👍)

Along with a solar panel.

Just because of limited budget and one camera is all we need (already have a good door bell with 4 plug in chimes around the house)

Would have loved to go for a more elaborate system as suggested by @Bobby Dazzler & @Wagon but too far out of budget. I’m also too tight to pay a subscription as it’s not intended/needed for security reasons.

and I’m definitely too tight to employ a butler Mr @Abb 😁

I think English Rose is more fitting.
You've obviously not seen her in "the outfit" then....... 😇

Again, thanks for the input all. 👍

I’ve ordered this: (Thank you @Delderek 👍)

Along with a solar panel.

Just because of limited budget and one camera is all we need (already have a good door bell with 4 plug in chimes around the house)

Would have loved to go for a more elaborate system as suggested by @Bobby Dazzler & @Wagon but too far out of budget. I’m also too tight to pay a subscription as it’s not intended/needed for security reasons.

and I’m definitely too tight to employ a butler Mr @Abb 😁
You’ll be delighted with it Ant. When it’s up and running look into a Ring Chime. It will sound an alert inside (or outside) of the house when it detects movement. I have them for this very reason. It will will alert Mrs Ant to there being someone there before they’ve pushed the doorbell.

That will be useful as It can take a few seconds to connect to the video feed, so there’s a small chance that the caller may have gone or moved position before Mrs Ant has seen the video feed. With a Ring Chime it will partly offset the delay.

....... When it’s up and running look into a Ring Chime......

Cheers Rob. Ordered ✅

One thing I’m apprehensive about is the camera can’t be hardwired via Ethernet cable. I guess I could install a WiFi booster in the loft just 1m away from the camera if needs be.

Cheers Rob. Ordered ✅

One thing I’m apprehensive about is the camera can’t be hardwired via Ethernet cable. I guess I could install a WiFi booster in the loft just 1m away from the camera if needs be.
Yes could fit a booster, you may be surprised by how little bandwidth they use. I have a couple in a spot away from the house with weak Wi-fi signal but they work OK, so it’s worth trying them first.

What happened to the obsessive thread? Surely this requires more (obsessive) thought? ;)

I’ve turned a corner now. Well on the road to recovery. I’ve decided to ask others to research on my behalf. The downside to this route is it ain’t cheap. I’m awaiting invoices from @Bobby Dazzler & @Wagon 😱

I’ve turned a corner now. Well on the road to recovery. I’ve decided to ask others to research on my behalf. The downside to this route is it ain’t cheap. I’m awaiting invoices from @Bobby Dazzler & @Wagon 😱
Outsourcing is never cheap 😁

I have a Ring doorbell and Blink (by Amazon) indoor and outdoor cameras and never had an issue with any of that. Good quality video on both, motion sensors on both and an app to view for both.

Interesting reading here. Am I right in assuming things like Ring operate when someone pushes the doorbell? If so, what use are they for the callers who just tap on the door? It never ceases to amaze me the number of people who do this, mostly delivery people. We’re fortunate enough to have a large house, one that can be seen to be large from the front, but it often happens that someone taps on the front door and we’re too far away to hear it. A motion sensor could alert us, but we don’t want to have to travel to the door just to find a flyer for a distant takeaway. Other than covering the front door with a neon sign saying “Ring the f****** doorbell” I guess we’ll have to put up with contacting Royal Mail / DHL / Amazon / whoever to request another attempt at a delivery after spotting their “You were out ...” note on the doormat!

Reactions: 219
Interesting reading here. Am I right in assuming things like Ring operate when someone pushes the doorbell? If so, what use are they for the callers who just tap on the door? It never ceases to amaze me the number of people who do this, mostly delivery people. We’re fortunate enough to have a large house, one that can be seen to be large from the front, but it often happens that someone taps on the front door and we’re too far away to hear it. A motion sensor could alert us, but we don’t want to have to travel to the door just to find a flyer for a distant takeaway. Other than covering the front door with a neon sign saying “Ring the f****** doorbell” I guess we’ll have to put up with contacting Royal Mail / DHL / Amazon / whoever to request another attempt at a delivery after spotting their “You were out ...” note on the doormat!
A video doorbell will alert and record when the doorbell is pushed, but if you choose to then you can set it to alert and record when there’s motion (but no push).

Ring doorbells record clips, whereas Nest/Google record continuously and “bookmark” pushes, motion and other things like person, sound, talking, and dogs barking.

You can decide which of those things you wish to be alerted about. Nest/Google can even tell you who is at the door, or tell you if they’re unknown.

In my experience video doorbells are never accidentally ignored, proximity sensors detect a person and illuminate the button brightly enough to be seen in daylight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom