Home CCTV Cameras - Recommendations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martyp87

Car
W166 GLE350d
Hello all,

I'm assuming as these are now fairly popular I might as well ask if any of you guys have CCTV cameras at home and can recommend some to me.

Only looking to cover the drive way, must be wireless and I'm looking at 2 cameras.

Loads showing up on Amazon and looking for input!

No strict budget so long as they aren't crazily expensive (>£300)

I understand you need to put up a sign, so that isn't a problem.

Thanks in advance.

get it wifi operated so u have alerts on your mobile anywhere in the world

I use a camera from here - https://www.y-cam.com/

You only pay for the camera which can hook up to the internet via Wifi or wired.

Free 7 days recording inc sound to the cloud if motion is detected and it also emails you and the phone application advises you when motion has been detected.

You can moitor the home via the phone app.

It is HD and also provides a reasonable picture in the dark.

You only pay for the camera which can hook up to the internet via Wifi or wired.

Free 7 days recording inc sound to the cloud if motion is detected and it also emails you and the phone application advises you when motion has been detected.

is their cheaper self recording/wifu portable camera for door/post box monitor

Thanks for the input on the thread guys.

Regarding a NAS solution, I don't actually use a NAS rather a Thunderbolt based enclosure and as it sits in my office hooking cameras to it would be more of a pain.

Initially I was thinking they must be wireless however, quickly realised you need to run power to them for IR (stupid me lol). Therefore, wired cameras won't make much of a difference really.

I was ideally looking for one with a box incl. hard drive so I don't need to rely on my internet for uploading the content to the cloud etc, it isn't the best!

Found this one on Amazon at what appears to be a really good price, includes 1TB drive, 720p cameras (1080p come in kits of 4 which I don't need) and the box can connect to the router for remote viewing which may or may not work for me.

Interested to hear your thoughts, gets good reviews from people... Link

Y-Cam Homemonitor fan here as well.

Got 2 external and 2 internal at home and 1 external + 2 internal on our place in Spain
Via your mobile they can be set to stop recording as soon as you arrive home and start again when you leave, great feature for the internal ones, just leave the external to record 24/7
£200 per camera and thats it, no other cost and they work on a desktop, mobile, iPad etc.
They are live / recording all the time but dont store the footage until they are tripped and then they back date approx 10 seconds so you see what ocured and just before.
You can set two seperate trip zones for each camera and also the sensitivity of each zone. Great if you have say a cat or dog wondering around your house or garden.
Best part about them (besides the price) is they are so easy to set up and operate.
Had 4 of mine for over 2 years now :)
No signes advertising mine thats for sure, they only look over my property and if folks dont like that then dont come on it

Last edited:
I've given the Amazon one a shot, £150 incl. two cameras, DVR w/1Tb drive and two sets of 20m long BNC/DC White leads. Going to test the cameras then spray them white also to match the building.

Will report how it is once installed. Reviews for it seem to be glowing so it's worth a shot in my book.

Likely being over cautious but once my CL comes back, if anyone touches her I want to know about it. lol

A couple of incidents prompted us to get cctv. We went for a 6 channel swann system.

CCTV kits, cctv systems, home cctv from Swann

Great value, 2 years on very reliable and importantly easy to install addons or obtain (should anything go wrong) new cables and other bits. It has a remote facility and we can view live or review.

We watched the snow build up on the drive from a beach in Barbados the other year , pointless but fun.

I am not an authority on them but all my research tends to suggest hard wired is more reliable. Ours are and they were a piece of piss to put out through the eaves via the loft.

I would suggest careful plotting of fields of view are equally as important to work out. We initially went for 4 cameras but soon realised in practice 5 were needed. Now we can see the area of each camera from the one next to it just in case someone decides to tinker.

Good luck

No signes advertising mine thats for sure, they only look over my property and if folks dont like that then dont come on it

Couldn't agree more. :thumb:

Ours are visible in the eaves in daylight and at night the more observant ****bag may spot the glow form the IR but that's it.

If you decide to go wired then make sure it's POE or Power over Ethernet. Only one cable to the camera which takes its power from the DVR so no need for a socket at each camera site.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I'm close to buying a system mentioned above.

I need two outdoor cameras just to watch over the cars and exterior of my property and have heard good things about the Y-Cams but the large HDD of a DVR box system also appeals. At the moment I'm swaying towards the Y-Cam but I'm struggling to find any screenshots online showing the night vision quality which is fairly important to me as the streetlights go off around here at midnight.

Would anyone who has the Y-Cam setup be able to post (or private message if happier) a preview of the day and the night picture quality. It would be very helpful!

I haven't ruled out the 2-camera DVR set up either so am also keen to see what users think of the Amazon system mentioned above.

Thanks so much.

Have you looked at the Nest cams? I have 4 of them, easy to install compared to a CCTV system and remotely accessible also. You can also hear sounds and speak through them for additional features. The app also highlights movements (and sends notifications and emails) so you don't have to spend hours watching everything if you need to find something specific, this feature costs £80 a year for the first cam and £40 a year for additional ones.

Not a complete replacement for CCTV but may be a worthy stop gap until the full HD systems are more affordable.

I use UCam247. HD Wireless Security Cameras - WiFi IP CCTV - UCam247

Been using them for over a year now. You have a facility to install a memory card for local record, a NAS in the home connected to your router and even cloud storage if you want it.

In today's market, cameras more or less all do the same thing, so it is a personal preference.

I use UCam247. HD Wireless Security Cameras - WiFi IP CCTV - UCam247

Been using them for over a year now. You have a facility to install a memory card for local record, a NAS in the home connected to your router and even cloud storage if you want it.

In today's market, cameras more or less all do the same thing, so it is a personal preference.

I'm interested in this solution. Thank you. Can you help here. I need a four camera set up. Looking at their website it takes you to Amazon to buy (and others). There it shows a set up for £144. Do I just order 4x one of the these? And get everything I need for a four camera set up?

Can I view between camera's if viewing remotely (say from an iphone)

Do you need to run power top each camera?

Sorry if these are really stupid questions, but to date I have been baffled by most of the adverts. I start off thinking I am buying something great and end up paying almost as much as professionally installed system, that still has faults.

Every professional company we have had in (four now) has advised against wireless. All saying they would not fit by choice. One saying he would just not do the job. All saying that the wireless signal is the killer as you get break up, black spots etc. All also said that this typically happens at the point that you needed the evidence (jammers being used).

If you have to run power? Then a wired system may be no less hassle to install.

Not being critical as I like what you have here. I just don't want to shell out my dosh on something that for an extra few quid would have got me a purpose built pro install.

I'm no authority but the quality of viewing and playback is hugely affected by the DVR, I can recommend Hickvision and my friend had QVIS both widely used by professionals.

I initially had an eBay kit but the DVR gave up and I replaced with a Hikvision 2TB model and the picture quality was way better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I should have added that all four quotes I had, for a four camera system, with remote access and control, came in around the £1k min to £1.2k max. You could then buy annual maintenance, warranty etc on top. These were all hard wired camera's with mains, battery back up (power cuts, anti tamper etc). All were HD and evidence quality with 2tb HDD system.

My neighbour installed a wireless system and says his gate opener causes grey out on the camera's. Rather interestingly a visitor with a camera on her horsebox (don't ask). Noticed that the monitor in her LR was picking up his security camera's.

So is wireless not really wireless? You need power?
Is it less secure, as it can be open to interference (deliberate or otherwise)?
Should I just bite the bullet and get a professionally installed hard wired system?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom