Home Cinema speakers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alps

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E63s s213 2019, E55 2004 Silver-SOLD, E63 w212 Weistec AMG-SOLD, E55 2004-SOLD, C36 1997-SOLD
Need some help here guys

delving into the pit of home cinema, got a nice tv, just bought a nice onkyo 608 amp, need to get some speakers, any reccomendations?

so far people have said

Bose Acoustimass
Kef 3005
cambridge 225 or 325 audio also looks good

i dont want to pay the earth, but i dont want tat either, needs to be fairly descrete so that it doesnt take over the room size wise.

any suggestions advice appreciated

Hello

I've got some B & W's and simply put they are suberb.

bw.jpg

If a little large you can go for smaller ones. They connect to a 7 * 100W Amp and I've yet to hear them distort.

They are also wall mountable with brakets they provide making then actually very neat.

3005 Kef pm me if you want a good deal on a new set i sell them.

It depends on the size you want/room you've got - I've got a Monitor Audio Silver set up (cabled for 6.1 but running 5.1).

As I've said on here before, What HiFi Sound and Vision recommendations are rarely wrong for the average Joe Public end user.

Last edited:
cheers guys, gives me some food for thought, Phil, thats the conclusion im coming to with bose unless i pick it up dirt cheap! i read an article and was shocked they were standard duel cone paper units with foam (not rubber) around the cones.

im gonna go listen to a few (where i can) and take it from there, not always going to be easy to compare as setups are all going to be different and different yet again from my front room.

I have Q Acoustic speakers which are really well balanced however the sub died after about 18 months.

I replaced this with a BK Gemini II sub that is truly awesome (they do a bigger model dependant on the size of your room) and fits in really well. Plus being hand built, I was able to select a wood finish that means it matches everything else in the room.

Avoid Bose unless you're more interested in branding than sound.

+1 they are overpriced to say the least.

I'm a big convert to Bowers & Wilkins now, they are excellent, as can be demonstrated by my zeppelin....

Try Boston Acoustics Soundware XS, you can pick the SE model up for £299 they may be a lot cheaper than the ones you have highlighted but it also depends on the room size as to whether they will be suitable.

I have the Onkyo 608 with a matching set of Onkyo speakers. As this amp sounds quite warm you should be careful when matching speakers. Most by Mordaunt Short or Kef will be more than sufficient, take your time to set it up correctly and don't rely on the Audyssey to do it for you. Get a tape measure out for setting speakers diatances from the main listening position.

I have an Onkyo 609 & use a combination of SVS across the front 3 & SVS sub with M&K rears, puts a smile on my face when ever I break out the Star Wars blurays.

careful attention to setup is the key to getting good results, don't belive the auto setup either its a good base line but one should still calibrate to ear aswell.

Avoid Bose unless you're more interested in branding than sound.

"Bose...better sound through marketing" :rolleyes:

Have a Look at the Bowers and Wilkins M1 range Their brackets allow you to wall mount or shelf mount, and their optional floor stands are gorgeous.
And they look a hell of a lot more expensive than they are (wife friendly too!)

Combined with their AS2 sub is a great all round package.

Bose are super if size is a premium; have had mine for 11 years now; knocks bumps, 2 kids and 2 moves later; they are still superb.

if you're an audiophile; you can do a lot better though... as others on here have suggested...

What width of room/shape and distance from the screen Alps?

Get an AV amplifier with "auto set-up" or "room equalisation" microphones like the bigger Denon examples and they will compensate for the audio compromises the real world 'living' room throws up. It's a real ear-opener! OK, won't sit well with audiophile purists but for those of us that have to live with normal domestic 'clutter', it's a godsend :)

Last edited:
Get an AV amplifier with "auto set-up" or "room equalisation" microphones like the bigger Denon examples and they will compensate for the audio compromises the real world 'living' room throws up. It's a real ear-opener! OK, won't sit well with audiophile purists but for those of us that have to live with normal domestic 'clutter', it's a godsend :)

I think the 608 has the auto set up facility.....sometimes those can give interesting (or infuriating) results with standing waves etc. but as the above poster says an quick and easy way to get the best from your system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom