Home electrics question.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Druk

Gone but not forgotten - RIP
Car
2011 S212 E350CDi. 1981 R107 300TurboDiesel.
My wifi router (BT Infinity 5) is upstairs and the signal to downstairs is carp. So I bought a wifi extender (TP-Link AV500) but cannot get it to work.

Now I read that it needs to be on the "same electrical circuit". So...if my upstairs is on a spur main and the downstairs is on a ring main (but going back to the same fuseboard but not the same fuse) does this mean these are 'different' circuits or do they all link via the common busbar inside the board? There are mini-breakers on all circuits and two RCD's on the board. I've tried plugging the slave unit in upstairs but the wifi signal is good throughout here so it's difficult to see if there's any improvement or not. I certainly has no noticeable improvement downstairs.

confused.com:dk:

Last edited:
Only needs to be on the same system, different breakers / rings on the one board doesn't usually stop it working.

Assume this is connecting an ethernet port on the router to a device plugged into a socket. Then the there is another device which is plugged in to the mains which is a wifi device?

You could switch off the wifi on the router, or take the aerials off of it to stop / reduce the signal strength from the router. Or just turn down the strength in the settings.

Assume this is connecting an ethernet port on the router to a device plugged into a socket. Then the there is another device which is plugged in to the mains which is a wifi device?

This is exactly how it is.

You could switch off the wifi on the router, or take the aerials off of it to stop / reduce the signal strength from the router. Or just turn down the strength in the settings.

There are no aerials on the router but I need the wifi upstairs so turning it off or down is not an option.

Sounds of penny dropping...you mean to test the Ethernet? :eek: . OK but I don't think the wifi will turn off alone and am unsure of how to get at 'settings'.

Last edited:
Powerline extender works best on the same ring circuit. It may work on on different circuits off the same fusebox depending on the types of circuit breakers installed.

If the circuit breakers are plain old fuses, then usually this will not cause a problem. But if the circuit breakers are RCCB or other types of "active" breakers, then these can and usually cause a degree of degradation of service and in extreme circumstances no service. This is because "active" circuit breakers often cause too much reflection of the powerline signal resulting in a reduced signal being passed through.

I have exactly this problem in my house and I managed to resolve the situation by installing AV2 MIMO 1000mbs devices. The 1000mbs capability is significantly reduced by the active breakers, but to a speed that is still usable. The MIMO devices also uses the earth pin/wire to improve the signal. So I get about 200mbs from the 1000mbs which is still quite acceptable for our purposes.

Problem is that I cannot find a 1000mbs Powerline adapter with built-in wifi, so the above set up requires a separate WiFi device.

Last edited:
The signal goes over the wire to the extender upstairs. Assume you have had to tell it the name of the SSID it is rebroadcasting?

If so, switching off the wireless on the router should not stop the other device from giving out a signal. This is only to test it on the same ring as the router.

Installed dozens of powerline adapters across RCCB breakers for people on different rings and never once had any of them suffer any issues or reduced bandwidth.

Only time I have found it not work is when it has to cross between two separate boards.Not saying you can't get issues, just not experienced it having done quite a few of these for people over the years.

Last edited:
The signal goes over the wire to the extender upstairs. Assume you have had to tell it the name of the SSID it is rebroadcasting?

If so, switching off the wireless on the router should not stop the other device from giving out a signal. This is only to test it on the same ring as the router.

Thanks Stu. See edit above re: penny dropping. However I think wongl has hit it on the head. I sense a return trip to Lewis's for a refund.

Has the extender box also got an ethernet port on it? If so, try connecting to that and see if it is working.

Also, these usually have indicator lights on them telling you if they are working or not.

I would suggest setting it up first on the same ring main- maybe in a different room upstairs-- this will eliminate any "pairing" problems. You can test the " pairing"aspect via ethernet at first but the display lights on the units should tell you when they recognise each other. this will eliminate any fuse board problems. Having got them linked try the av500 down the stairs.

Last edited:
Installed dozens of powerline adapters across RCCB breakers for people on different rings and never once had any of them suffer any issues or reduced bandwidth.

Only time I have found it not work is when it has to cross between two separate boards.

Let's put it this way, our upstairs and downstairs ring circuit are connected to each other via two fuses. Beyond this there is a RCCB circuit breaker. Our 200mbs AV powerline adapters were working fine in this configuration.

Everything still fine after we installed halogen spot lights to our house, but when ever the halogen blows, it would often trip the RCCB circuit breaker causing both ring circuits to be taken down.

Our electrician suggest we replaced the plain old fuses with some active circuit breaker (not RCCB) so that when each circuit has it own breaker to avoid the halogen bulbs taking down the RCCB. Following the installation of the active circuit breakers to our fusebox, the powerline adapters stopped working (red light flashing). Foolishly I replaced them with more of the same with poor results. Replacing them with 1000mbs AV2 MIMO devices restored service.

Here you go "circuit breakers can also negatively affect the performance." Home networking explained, part 7: Power line connections - CNET

I would suggest setting it up first on the same ring main- maybe in a different room downstairs-- this will eliminate any "pairing" problems. You can test the " pairing"aspect via ethernet at first but the display lights on the units should tell you when they recognise each other. this will eliminate any fuse board problems. Having got them linked try the av500 up the stairs.

I would try this as my first port of call. I too have the set up as you have, ie a range extender (TP link) in a separate part of the house, ON a different circuit! When you initially get the extender, its has to be set up using the the ethernet cable so it knows its on the same wifi signal (albeit will have a different network name).
Had mine in 3 years without problems. Definitely try the set up procedure again on the same ground floor level, and it should then retain its settings when its unplugged and moved elsewhere in the house.
The 'it's has to be on the same wiring circuit' is a new one to me :dk:

That article also says they don't work or won't work very well at all if plugged into a surge protector or power strip. Both of which a rubbish as well. They work perfectly well on both.

Its rare for them not to work over pretty much most domestic systems in houses these days. Only tends to have issues where there is an extension of outhouse which has a second board of its own. It can happen, but is pretty rare, you have just been unlucky with your setup.

I usually do the pairing and setup on the same double socket to make sure it is as easy as possible before moving them to their final locations.

Can you run a cat 5/6 ethernet cable from the router upstairs- downstairs? [effective distance reckoned to be 75-100 meters] Only has to go as far the Link adapter in the nearest 13 amp socket on the downstairs ring main you want the AV 500 to broadcast from? http://www.cabling4less.co.uk/category.php?cat_id=160

ps I subsequently edited my instructions after I read the router is upstairs :doh: but you get the idea. Set up THE LINK on the same circuit

Last edited:
That article also says they don't work or won't work very well at all if plugged into a surge protector or power strip. Both of which a rubbish as well. They work perfectly well on both.

Its rare for them not to work over pretty much most domestic systems in houses these days. Only tends to have issues where there is an extension of outhouse which has a second board of its own. It can happen, but is pretty rare, you have just been unlucky with your setup.

You can rubbish the article all you like, fact remains that I have personally experienced the sort of problems described and found a solution that works for me. Only offering my experience to the OP in the hope that it may help him.

The fact that you have never seen this problem before is not really helpful to the OP, nor is it helpful to me. The fact that I have never experienced a blow out tyre doesn't mean that it cannot happen to others.

Last edited:
I haven't said it couldn't happen, just said its rare and unlikely to be the OP's problem to put into perspective that they shouldn't give up just yet and return it. As others have said, start with the basics and do it on the same ring main first. You may well have hit the nail on the head, but lets get there through elimination not speculation.

Chill, no one is saying what you experienced didn't happen. I even said you have been unlucky.

In that article I was pointing out an inaccuracy that whilst it may happen occasionally is not the norm as they have claimed in it. Technology moved on past what they claim a decade or more ago. Just correcting a factual error, thats not picking holes, its correcting an error.

This might be rubbish but what would happen if the router was downstairs?

Ours is and it works all over the house including outside.

Maybe yours has 3' thick walls and a West wing?

Good point, they are designed to push the signal out and up, not down. Guess it depends where there are phone lines to plug it into (assuming ADSL). Master socket is obviously the best one but could be an extension if it is of sufficient quality to not suffer degradation.

This might be rubbish but what would happen if the router was downstairs?

Ours is and it works all over the house including outside.

Maybe yours has 3' thick walls and a West wing?

Yeh, I wish. It's upstairs because: a. that's where the (non wifi) PC is. and b. there's domestic resistance to having it in the hall downstairs where the main phone socket is but where there's no power; which would entail a trailing extension from the lounge next door. Upstairs is all timber construction including to just outside where the conservatory is and where the signal is at it's worst. Through> 5ft of timber wall and down 6ft through a glass roof. Signal there is non-existent.

Good point, they are designed to push the signal out and up, not down. Guess it depends where there are phone lines to plug it into (assuming ADSL). Master socket is obviously the best one but could be an extension if it is of sufficient quality to not suffer degradation.

It's a dedicated extension I put in for the router with ADSL. I'll give the other suggestions a try tomorrow and if unsuccessful try running a power lead to the hall.

Thanks everyone so far. :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom