Home HiFi - what`s your poison?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A Teac Reference 500 system and some Mordaunt Short speakers. Sounds good to my uneducated (and now somewhat deaf) ears.

Cheers,

Gaz

gaz_l said:
A Teac Reference 500 system and some Mordaunt Short speakers. Sounds good to my uneducated (and now somewhat deaf) ears. Cheers, Gaz
Not sure what speakers he has got but my brother has this system. Still sounds good at around 16 years old.

Sansui. Well, that was many years ago. Manyyears ago LOL

Our systems are nothing special, Denon in the kitchen & Panasonic surround sound in the lounge, both with ipod docks
But what infuriates me is SWMBO & the yoofs playing music (loud) direct from their phones/tablets speakers & believing it to be entertainment:doh:

Naim Uniti with Ruark speakers in the sitting room. An old Linn movie thing with Quad speakers in the kitchen. What I have been really impressed by is the Naim Muso that we have in Italy. For a one box system the sound is amazing.

Naim Uniti with Ruark speakers in the sitting room. An old Linn movie thing with Quad speakers in the kitchen. What I have been really impressed by is the Naim Muso that we have in Italy. For a one box system the sound is amazing.

Thinking about getting a Muso to replace my old Arcam amp, cd, and Spendor system. I know it probably won't quite be the same sonically, but then again, my ears ain't as sonically sound as they were when I bought the system. :D
I know it's difficult to quantify, but how far away from a reasonable hifi system is the Muso? Also, if you don't mind saying, where do you stream your music from?

Impressive gear. For me it's non-audiophile stuff playing ogg, mp3 & flac. I got rid of 99% of my CDs years ago, but couldn't bear to lose all my hard searched-for LPs (in real record shops, remember those days?). I've an excellent Plantronics BBT Pro bluetooth (BT) & noise cancelling headset, Lexon Hoop BT speaker, a BT receiver on a low end Samsung HT-Z220 cinema surround sound system, a Roberts DAB radio. All good enough for my ears so hasn't warranted further research or trading up. Would like to get a proper record player sometime though, for my old LPs.

Of late got into Sonos gear and with the Sonos-Deezer deal get to stream more uncompressed CD quality sounds than you could ever listen to in a lifetime.

Currently got a Play 5 Gen. 2 in the kitchen and ye olde HiFi streaming capable via a Connect. The Connect has a line in capacity, so possible to stream the output from turntable (via suitable dedicated amp or line out from existing amp) through the connected Sonos kit in house. Yes, streamimg your vinyl.

Possible that Father Christmas might deliver a pair of Play 1's for my home office, one of which will be hardwired to the router and thus dedicated Sonosnet established.

Who knows, someone even might add a Sub. to those in the future.

Last edited:
Well I've had loads of Sony ES in the past, moved to basically anything Richer sounds was doing, now ditched the lot for Sonos speakers all over the house..

Now planning on adding Echo dots round the house waiting/hoping that the Sonos/Echo integration rumours are true.

Thinking about getting a Muso to replace my old Arcam amp, cd, and Spendor system. I know it probably won't quite be the same sonically, but then again, my ears ain't as sonically sound as they were when I bought the system. :D
I know it's difficult to quantify, but how far away from a reasonable hifi system is the Muso? Also, if you don't mind saying, where do you stream your music from?

The Muso comes alive when the volume is turned up. It is a very detailed sound for a one box system. We replaced an Arcam Solo with Quad 12L2 speakers with the Muso just because it saves so much space. The sound quality is pretty close. Unless you are a real audiophile it is very very good. A friend of mine deals in high end HiFi and he rates the Muso as excellent. I use the built in internet radio or stream via an Iphone or Macbook. When using the phone I use a USB cable as the sound seems to be better. It also works as a pretty good soundbox if connected to output form the TV.
The room is about 6mx6m. It will easily cope with a larger room
My only criticism is that station selection via the phone app is not very intuitive.

The Muso comes alive when the volume is turned up. It is a very detailed sound for a one box system. We replaced an Arcam Solo with Quad 12L2 speakers with the Muso just because it saves so much space. The sound quality is pretty close. Unless you are a real audiophile it is very very good. A friend of mine deals in high end HiFi and he rates the Muso as excellent. I use the built in internet radio or stream via an Iphone or Macbook. When using the phone I use a USB cable as the sound seems to be better. It also works as a pretty good soundbox if connected to output form the TV.
The room is about 6mx6m. It will easily cope with a larger room
My only criticism is that station selection via the phone app is not very intuitive.
See this review- one remark I noticed

Fans of high-resolution music are in luck, with support for everything from MP3s all the way up to 24-bit/192kHz hi-res tracks in WAV, FLAC and AIFF. The only catch is that you’ll need to be hardwired to get the very best sample rates – any hi-res tracks streamed over wi-fi will be downsampled to a still respectable and “better-than-CD-quality” 24-bit/48kHz.
Read more at Naim Mu-so Qb review | What Hi-Fi?
Personally I find digital processing too clinical, too pure, lacking in colour warmth and overtones, but each to their own. People seem to focus on power and purity of sound but to my mind Hifi is as much about silence and low sound levels as handling volume.
Just listening to a quick blast of Sibelius Pelleas et Melisande op 46 reminded me of this.

After close to 20 years ownership , my IMF TLS80's are finally leaving the household .

Sadly , much as I loved them , they caused a fair amount of domestic disharmony , came close to being sold a couple of times , and actually were sold to a gentleman who paid a £100 deposit then never came back to conclude the sale - that was a few years back now .

Anyway , I have just bought a pair of freshly factory serviced Quad ESL63s , which look like new and come with a year's warranty - getting them on Monday and the IMFs going in px .

I'm quite looking forward to their arrival , having previously had ESL57s and being already familiar with the 63s , they will hang on the end of my otherwise complete Quad system .

Photos will follow

Following up from the post above , the Quads have been out in the living room for the last several weeks , and seem to be 'domestically acceptable' :D Perhaps it is because they just sound so nice and so natural . I do have them pushed fairly well into the corners , which is far from the best place for them , but they don't sound in any way awful , even if they do sound much more open when pulled a few feet forward if SWMBO isn't around .

They are just so nice and easy to listen to , vocals and acoustic instruments are superb , the speakers don't draw attention to themselves and one listens to the music , not the Hi-Fi .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom