Home insulation/heating information

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wemorgan

MB Enthusiast
Car
A205 C220d
Does anyone know of a free website that allows users to enter their house profile (size, build type, heating, windows etc) that then shows typical heating bills or thermal efficiency with/without different insulation or other measures.

I guess the kind of software surveyors use for the EPC report.

Thanks.

Thanks. :)

Shame it doesn't split out loft insulation from cavity wall insulation.

Any knowledge of DIY cavity wall insulation?

All manufacturers will declare the R value of their products on their website or packaging.

That's not as easy as what you asked for, but it will allow comparisons between different products in the same sector (eg product A vs product B).

There are grants available for some and it's always worth the ask.

I should add I'm not aware of DIY cavity wall insulation for existing properties, i.e. drill and fill procedures.

Last edited:
Thanks John. useful information to know.

The next step would be able to compare different products from different sectors, say, cavity wall insulation to loft insulation.

In short for each product list the £ saved per year and to then know the pay back period. I guess I ask for too much :)

Thanks John. useful information to know.

The next step would be able to compare different products from different sectors, say, cavity wall insulation to loft insulation.

In short for each product list the £ saved per year and to then know the pay back period. I guess I ask for too much :)

There are generic websites around for the basics - saying, for example, that most heat is lost through roof and windows - Google will be your friend.

There are generic websites around for the basics - saying, for example, that most heat is lost through roof and windows - Google will be your friend.

Thanks, I did try Google of course :) But there was a lot of generic and sales stuff.

I think ultimately I'm looking for cavity wall insulation and solar hot water. But would like some numbers before I commit any money.

I also need to some valves and hot water thermostat added to the current rather bizarre plumbing I have. But again, I'd like to quantify any potential gains. Plumbers are quite expensive these days.

Thanks, I did try Google of course :) But there was a lot of generic and sales stuff.

I think ultimately I'm looking for cavity wall insulation and solar hot water. But would like some numbers before I commit any money.

I also need to some valves and hot water thermostat added to the current rather bizarre plumbing I have. But again, I'd like to quantify any potential gains. Plumbers are quite expensive these days.

Rad stats (I assume that's what you mean) are cheap and easy(ish) to DIY if you're replacing like for like. What's good about rad stats is the instant comfort factor you get by being to control individual rooms, as well as being good for the pocket.

Rad stats (I assume that's what you mean) are cheap and easy(ish) to DIY if you're replacing like for like. What's good about rad stats is the instant comfort factor you get by being to control individual rooms, as well as being good for the pocket.

I have radiator thermostats. I suspect I don't have the necessary valve and/or thermostat on the hot water tank. My heating and hot water are linked. So when ever I want hot water I also get heating, unless the radiator thermostats are up to temp and vice versa. The timer is also broken, which doesn't help having to manually turn in on/off. So as you can tell, lots of jobs to be getting on with, it's just a case of cost and prioritising. But oil at now £30/week plus wood and coal, something needs doing.

Just do the plumbing side yourself, it's easy.

It sounds like you either don't have a tank thermostat or more likely the three way valve has gone faulty.

My advice would be to get the cavity infill and loft insulation done as the grant will make it cheaper than doing it yourself, do a quick repair job on the heating, then look to replace the cylinder with a solar one and then install a solar system.

Bit of an update to this thread.

I've had a quote for cavity wall insulation of £99. The company seems reputable as they are on the local council list, so I think I'll go ahead with it, especially at that price.

I had cavity wall insulation done in current property, chose a local installer via a grant.

He told me what an expert he was and how he took more care than national installers.

The product used was a white blown fibre/foam

I have had cause to open the cavity in 2 places since the install and at both locations found that this product has not fully filled the cavity.

One location was the replacement of a window cill - there was virtually no cavity fill below the cill and I was able to slide a 1200 x 450mm mineral fibre cavity batt into the void.
The other location was cutting in an electric meter cabinet. There I found again a large void, caused by old wiring in the cavity - a single cable had stopped the spread of the cavity fill.

There is another location where the external wall is very cold & we get condensation forming - I'm convinced that the fill is missing here also.

In the new property currently undergoing complete renovation/rebuild I have been able to access the top of the open cavity all around.

I first investigated a product that I could buy in bags to pour into the top of the cavity, if I remember correctly called Silvapor. The cost to buy was going to be around £360.

I then found a firm, again grant aided to fill the cavities from the top with polystyrene beads, cost just under £200.

I think I'm happier that the polystyrene beads will have filled the cavities better than the blown fibre/foam which seems to get stuck on small obstructions

^ Worrying...cables are not designed to be surrounded by insulation, they can and probably will overheat...fire risk!!

^ Worrying...cables are not designed to be surrounded by insulation, they can and probably will overheat...fire risk!!

I would have thought that any cable that has enough heating effect to overheat, whether surrounded by insulation or not, is carrying a current far in excess of what it is specified for

Nick Froome

Note the use of the phrase "old wiring"

This is a 1960's bungalow and it appears that using the cavity for wiring may have been common at that time.

I've totally re-wired so any remaining "old" cables in the cavities carry no current!

I have had cause to open the cavity in 2 places since the install and at both locations found that this product has not fully filled the cavity.

One location was the replacement of a window cill - there was virtually no cavity fill below the cill and I was able to slide a 1200 x 450mm mineral fibre cavity batt into the void.
The other location was cutting in an electric meter cabinet. There I found again a large void, caused by old wiring in the cavity - a single cable had stopped the spread of the cavity fill.

There is another location where the external wall is very cold & we get condensation forming - I'm convinced that the fill is missing here also.

Must admit those issues have stopped me having it done. When we had our extention done, the builders were adamant that if the house wasn't designed with having its cavities filled in mind then it shouldn't be done.

If it goes wrong it's not going to be easy to rectify!

If you are with British Gas for gas or electric or on their Homeserve scheme, they'll install loft insulation & cavity wall for free (we had the survey today). The BG guy who came reckoned that the offer wasn't about to disappear anytime soon.

I would have thought that any cable that has enough heating effect to overheat, whether surrounded by insulation or not, is carrying a current far in excess of what it is specified for

Nick Froome

Nick, wiring should never, ever, be covered in insulation.

Nick, wiring should never, ever, be covered in insulation.

Hi,
Wiring can be covered in thermal insulation, but allowances have to be made on its current carrying ability, in fact the 17th edition IEE regs set out allowance factors for this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom