Home network

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Satch

MB Enthusiast
Car
S211 E320Cdi Avantgarde Estate & Toyota Land Cruiser
This should be easy, but no.

New computer arrived and I want to set it up to share printer & scanner linked to existing computer. Also set up a LAN so children can thrash each other virtually for a change.

Already have Linksys router in place which is used to share the cable connection between existing PC, Playstation and my laptop.

New PC connects fine to internet via said router. Enabled file sharing and printing sharing using the XP wizard but SFA happens.

Am I missing something?

Has the new computer got the printer you want to share connected to it?

You need to set file and print sharing up on the pc that has the printer physically connected to it, in the printers window right click the printer icon and choose Sharing - give the printer a share name then choose to "connect to network printer" on the other pc.

If both pc's are XP the shared printer name should be displayed in the printers window on the other pc.

Last edited:
Do the icons for the printer etc have a hand underneath them indicating sharing?

If not then thye are not shared. Just enabling sharing isn't enough, youi have to share each resource.

Craig

I also find that making sure both PC's use the same networking protocols helps as well. E.g. if one is using IPX/SPX and NetBios then make sure they both have this protocol enabled. Another idea that springs to mind do both PC's belong to the same Workgroup? i.e. if you go to My Network Places can each PC see the other and the new PC see the printer over the network?

S.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom