Home Office set to approve new SPECS3 cameras

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robert.saunders

MB Enthusiast
Car
W210 E300TD
The use of average-speed cameras in residential streets is nearing reality, as the Home Office confirmed that it would be approving SPECS3 camera technology (Feb 09). Transport for London claims time-over-distance cameras are essential for the successful implementation of 20mph zones.

Source: www.localgov.co.uk

Clusters of speed cameras that will monitor drivers’ average speed on all routes across a wide area are to be deployed on hundreds of roads next year. It will be impossible to evade detection because the digital cameras will cover every entry and exit point. Drivers who slow down briefly or who make a detour from the main route will still be caught because up to 50 of the cameras will work together in a network. They can be positioned more than 15 miles apart and will automatically read numberplates and transmit data instantly to a penalty processing centre

Source: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/driving/article4909662.ece

Further info: http://www.speedcheck.co.uk/SPECS3_overview.pdf

As much as I hate the governments big brother attitude I would actually welcome this. There is no reason to speed in urban areas whatsoever.

Unfortunately our road has become a short cut that isn't, they use the road to avoid the traffic lights but get caught at the end trying to make a right turn onto a very busy road so make no savings on time. Twice I have caught van drivers speeding on the pavement to avoid the congestion that builds up on waste collection day.

It's worse in the evenings when there are relatively fewer cars parked and the 100 yards from the corner to the junction is seen as a challenge to attain the highest speed.

It will be impossible to evade detection
Unless you order 'show' numberplates off the internet with:

a) somebody else's reg. on (since theres no checking involved), or
b) your own reg. but using dodgy font(s) & spacing (plus a few bolt heads) so it can't be read automatically

:rolleyes:

Surely average speed cameras are fairer than radar?

No more will a moment's lapse of concentration be penalised, but only sustained speeders will be caught.

20mph zones around schools etc are vital for our children's safety.

No more will a moment's lapse of concentration be penalised, but only sustained speeders will be caught.

20mph zones around schools etc are vital for our children's safety.

Agree. They do this in several european countries already (I was flashed in Germany once, but no fine received). Me bad.

As much as I hate the governments big brother attitude I would actually welcome this. There is no reason to speed in urban areas whatsoever.
I think it depends on how much tolerance is used, and how big the gap is between cameras. Ideally this would be 'intelligent' i.e. a couple of mph over the limit past a school at 9AM would generate a ticket, but averaging 31 mph at 2AM on a deserted road wouldn't necessarily.

Not all cars have speed limiters, and having everyone constantly looking at their speedo in case they stray slightly over the limit is arguably not a good thing in an urban environment where a child may step out without warning at any time. But I agree that average cameras are much better than Gatsos in this respect.

Last edited:
A mate of mine has been working on the IT networking side of this for a major telecoms provider, not only will they improve safety in urban areas the police also intend to use them to throw a "net" over problem housing estates that way they will know when a car enters or leaves from under the net so apprehending criminals just got easier.

I totally agree that safety near schools should be a precedent and no more than 20mph. Can you believe here in Yorkshire there are schools within 10 miles of my house that have a 60 mph limit going straight past the front of them, absolute madness.

Last edited:

Well , the radar sites are only supposed to be where there is a problem that needs sorted and if you believe the figures they are working.

These are nothing short of another form of spying. At any time within the network they can pinpoint you and where you are , who's in the car ( as im sure facial recognition will come soon too) etc etc....

Minority report here we come ...

Unless the law has been changed technically they cat enforce 20mph zones as speedo's dont have to be accurate or even start working untill you hit 30mph, and vehicle restricted to 30mph doesn't even require a speedo.

I'm happy for them to have cameras all over the place on housing estates, the bloody idiots that fly round ours are lethal, luckily our road is bendy and the parking is heavy enough to slow cars down, but we still get the occasional bike or quad zipping round.

Unless the law has been changed technically they cat enforce 20mph zones as speedo's dont have to be accurate or even start working untill you hit 30mph, and vehicle restricted to 30mph doesn't even require a speedo.
That's an interesting point. You could exceed 20 on a pushbike or even a horse!

The 20mph speed limit is a joke.

Yet another excuse to monitor the citizens and fleece them of their income.

A car doing 20mph has less than half the energy of a car doing 30mph. This makes a real difference to any injuries caused during a collision.

If a 20mph zone starts and ends 1/2mile from a school, then travelling at 20mph rather than 30mph will add 1 minute on to your journey. I can live with that.

Last edited:
A car doing 20mph has less than half the energy of a car doing 30mph. This makes a real difference to any injuries caused during a collision..

I'm a busy man, if I wanted to limp around at 20mph I'd buy a milkfloat.

People should learn how to cross the road.

There are no kids crossing roads near schools anyway. They are all delivered to the door in bloody great SUVs ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom