Home paint spraying

• Thread starter Deleted member 11979
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 11979

A few years ago I restored my Land Rover and spray painted it with coach enamel using and low pressure paint sprayer from Fuji.

I may have my eye on a 123 that needs paint, but only if I can again paint it at home.

I know nothing about paint spraying, other than it appears I’m ok at the actual act.

The car is non metallic, what kind of paint would I need to use and is it easy enough / safe to use at home with just a gun and garage to do it in?

Many thanks

I was going to try and answer this,but as I thought it out I came to the conclusion that you have had much better ideas than this CCAALLVVINN. :D

I did two cars with a low presure warm air spray gun . Called Apollo it looked like a small vacuum cleaner . I chose to do the wings off the car .And the car in question was at the time my blue V8 Rover . Wings were bolt on ,,. I chose a time and a place to do it,, in the spare room of our new house .Waited till war` depot {wife } had gone out . I used ironing board to rest it on . I then coverd everything with news paper . I mixed the paint per instructions .Started to spray, i applied three coats waiting for 15 mins before i applied the next ,,then last and final coat i ended up with clear thinners . What a cracking job. Well the wings were fantastic . Along with the walls of the room ,my face was blue my beard was blue the hairs in my nose were blue and my hands the same . So choose a good place to do this ,,and above all these paints are health harming , so cover up you nose and mouth . Ha ha good luck

Thanks for the replies, you’re right optimus, I came out pale grey when I did the Land Rover, do you know what type of paint to use? If it needs heat to cure it or is extremely toxic then it’s not for me I don’t think. Coach enamel was very easy to spray but I don’t think that’s available in Mercedes colours? Maybe it is, I have no idea

Google Cellulose paint car, not sure how many paint shops still supply it, a few years now since we sprayed anything.

Read up on coach painting and do it with a brush . The depth of the paint is out of this world . Its time you want , and a good dry free place to do it in . I love spraying and preping before the spray job .Rule of thumb is,, if you can feel it, then it will show up in the paint after . Rattle can paint spraying is easy. if you use normal paint .It is not a job to be done with metalics . I just use the rattle can on the wing and wait till its dry , and hrdened off , and then wet and dry it till i can not feel any imperfections in the paint if you can then its not ready for polishing up .

My car paint guy always jokes that a good mopper can make a bad painter look good everyday of the week! 😂

As with most things, the painting is in the prep; it’s amazing what you can see under “proper” lighting, so just make sure you prep like hell and the actual painting should be the easy bit!

This may give you an idea of what types of paint are available, cellulose used to be the thing for home painters but times change...
I use acrylic basecoats followed by clear laquer.
There are plenty of paint suppliers online as well as loads of videos showing how to do it.
As said previously, preparation is the key, usually lots of flatting down, few coats of high build primer...good luck

A few years ago I restored my Land Rover and spray painted it with coach enamel using and low pressure paint sprayer from Fuji.

I may have my eye on a 123 that needs paint, but only if I can again paint it at home.

I know nothing about paint spraying, other than it appears I’m ok at the actual act.

The car is non metallic, what kind of paint would I need to use and is it easy enough / safe to use at home with just a gun and garage to do it in?

Many thanks
Hi you could either use cellulose paint which means you don't need all sorts of breathing gear. And if it looks dull or like orange peel you can polish it to a nice glossy shine. Or use water based paint. You can get some great ideas off you tube. I hope this helps

Hi you could either use cellulose paint which means you don't need all sorts of breathing gear. And if it looks dull or like orange peel you can polish it to a nice glossy shine. Or use water based paint. You can get some great ideas off you tube. I hope this helps
I have had good results using Hycote acrylic spray cans. Used their Mercedes Brilliant Silver on a front wing and it was a very good colour match.

Use cellulose as that is what is on it and anything else could have a reaction. Solid colours don't need a clear coat. Give the Mercedes paint number to Autopaints Brighton who I use who will mix it and supply everything else you will need. A reasonable spray gun is necessary but cellulose is quite forgiving if you keep the gun moving and if you do manage to get a poor finish it is possible to polish it with a cheap machine.

I used to use cellulose and was always told by suppliers that two pack is illegal in a domestic garage. Better finish of course.

Thanks for the replies, you’re right optimus, I came out pale grey when I did the Land Rover, do you know what type of paint to use? If it needs heat to cure it or is extremely toxic then it’s not for me I don’t think. Coach enamel was very easy to spray but I don’t think that’s available in Mercedes colours? Maybe it is, I have no idea
Mercedes traditionally always used synthetic enamel - if memory serves the original paint , if bought from MB was Glassurit

I've shot a couple of cars at home and they came out okay. Both were solid colors (the metallic cars I shot.... not so much). As you've heard a million times before. It's all in the prep so make sure that you sand it well so that you have a good surface. Fill in any dings and fix any rust, prime and block (BLOCK BLOCK BLOCK).

I have a 60 gallon compressor at home and shot with a HVLP paint gun that cost $40 from Harbor Freight, using Nason brand (Dupont budget line) base and clear. Make sure that you get a good respirator and cover everything that you don't want paint on.

1595819387794.png

1595819401678.png

1595819434634.png

Last edited:
Thanks very much guys for your help and advice.

I’m going to go with synthetic enamel, which is what I used to paint the Land Rover.

I’ve found a local supplier who will match the paint to the fuel filler cap, then I’m going to practice on a scrap wing and see how I get on.

Here’s the car in question , a 280te, looking forward to getting stuck in!

Attachments

• 350DEFC4-63A5-46B1-979A-8A8E73642112.jpeg
    350DEFC4-63A5-46B1-979A-8A8E73642112.jpeg
    163.8 KB · Views: 11
  • BAC73D44-556B-47B8-BF7D-844D1325C9C6.jpeg
    BAC73D44-556B-47B8-BF7D-844D1325C9C6.jpeg
    73 KB · Views: 12
I've shot a couple of cars at home and they came out okay. Both were solid colors (the metallic cars I shot.... not so much). As you've heard a million times before. It's all in the prep so make sure that you sand it well so that you have a good surface. Fill in any dings and fix any rust, prime and block (BLOCK BLOCK BLOCK).

I have a 60 gallon compressor at home and shot with a HVLP paint gun that cost $40 from Harbor Freight, using Nason brand (Dupont budget line) base and clear. Make sure that you get a good respirator and cover everything that you don't want paint on.

View attachment 100137

View attachment 100138

View attachment 100139

Nice job! Nice car

If you're going with single stage. Consider Urethane. It's a more modern paint that's less prone to fade. It basically shoots like clear because it is clear with an added pigment

If you're going with single stage. Consider Urethane. It's a more modern paint that's less prone to fade. It basically shoots like clear because it is clear with an added pigment

I’ll speak to the paint supplier about this, thanks for your advice

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom