Home security - alarms and cctv systems

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonnyboy

MB Enthusiast
Car
1991 sl300-24 project,s124 280,w115 no interior, w108 project no engine
All

Anyone got any recommendations for alarm systems and cctv systems?
I am likely to install myself in the coming weeks as my arm continues to heal but I am unable to do any heavy (real!!) work.
We looked at an alarm company doing one for us a couple of years ago as ours needs updating but ended up not proceeding with them (just as well as they went bust about six months ago). They were swaying towards wireless but this house is a mixture of construction types and we do have transmission problems in that regard which worried me, as did the thought of constantly changing batteries. I am happy to lay cabling as I have service ducts all over the place unless there is a good case for wireless.
Ideally want to install a cctv system at the same time - easier to cabling en-masse rather than the upheaval of doing jobs twice. Had looked at Costco's voucher on the Swann system at just over £200 but it is a max of 4 (included) cameras, and what confused me was when it said on the box that its a digital recorder with HD cameras yet classed as an analogue system???

With the above I am not looking to spend thousands - but figure I can "give" more value by doing the donkey-work myself!

Thanks all

J

I have had a Wireless Chubb system for 8 years now, and only replaced the batteries once each in the door sensors as they are activated every day. Windows still on original batteries as is the Sounder unit. Its OK for safety and a deterrent but I don't think my house insurance is any less as its not a monitored and maintained system.

The cameras being referred to as HD refers to their resolution, or the number of TVLines.

The recorder being referred to as digital is because it's recording to a hard drive, it's basically a small computer, rather than recording to tape, etc. You'll get video files like .mp4 etc.

The analogue bit is probably the video signal will likely be composite, using BnC connectors, rather than a digital transmission like HDMI, Video over Ethernet or IP based cameras, which use your existing ethernet network.

Following our last burglary in 2002 we had a G4S monitored and maintained system fitted.

It works well..anytime we have a power cut the first call is from the monitoring station.

For the most part it is wireless and has been flawless, and we set it to cover the downstairs every night.

The batteries in all senders are replaced annually.

No cameras.

Last edited:
Not sure if you are in the catchment area but CIA are doing a no strings/wires system for about £600 fully installed and guaranteed.

Chaps, thanks so far, just to be clear, I am looking to self-fit.

Whichever you go for make sure it's POE or Power over Ethernet. Half the cables and no need for a power point at each camera as all power comes from the DVR.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom