Home servicing?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

benzbarmy1

Car
Searching
As MB used prices seem to be getting lower? I may get one as a second car/ project. Which models were free of the dreaded "computer servicing" only treatment? I shall be searching for a "practical (ly) classic motor very soon. I have serviced my own vehicles for years so am no stranger to spannering. Computers on the other hand ...............

Mike

You don't need a computer to service any car.

Digital electronic introduction varies with model but started to become more obtrusive in the mid 90's There were still lots of work-arounds and an ability to reset fault codes etc with relatively simple equipment such as fault code readers and aftermarket systems. The introduction of Canbus systems however spelled the beginning of the end as system hardware and software became even more proprietary in the new century. Soon I predict even the manufacturer approved diagnostic systems will be available on a rental only basis and even now sometimes they require satellite link directly to the factory for software upgrades

So in answer to your question to be " digital/computer free" pre 1996 would be a safe starting point.

That is roughly what I thought. Early nineties or late eighties it is then.;)
Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom