Home sound system advice.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 37751

We're having a good sized extension built to the rear of our house and I'm wanting to install an integrated sound system at the same time, I'm thinking some sort of Bluetooth enabled head unit which should give me a little bit of future proofing?

Any advice appreciated. :thumb:

What's your budget?

Do you want audiophile high quality, or run-of-the-mill?

What's your budget?

Do you want audiophile high quality, or run-of-the-mill?

Just something decent for the money; I'd not envisaged spending more than a grand, is that a sensible budget? I have in mind flush type speakers, nothing too obvious.

The extension will be circa 40sqm and 3350mm high (internally).

May be I'm old school, I would have thought decent quality cables is better than bluetooth anytime. :confused:

My whole system is wired, always has been and most probably will always be.

When it comes to music, I dont trust wireless set ups as I dont believe they match wired on sound quality.
Yes it is convenient and tidy and easier to install.
But, I am tad conservative on this.

Same was with my PC gaming rig, mouse / keyboard was always on the wire for better response time.

May be I'm old school, I would have thought decent quality cables is better than bluetooth anytime. :confused:

I don't need Bluetooth speakers, there's no problem using good cables because it's a new build. I want the main head-unit to be Bluetooth enabled so I'm not stuck when Apple decide to change their usb again (if that makes sense) and I can wirelessly transmit my music to the head-unit.

My whole system is wired, always has been and most probably will always be.
When it comes to music, I dont trust wireless set ups as I dont believe they match wired on sound quality.
Yes it is convenient and tidy and easier to install.
But, I am tad conservative on this.

I agree with the you on the wired set-up, it's just the main head-unit that I would prefer to be able to receive Bluetooth music, I would be using cables from the head-unit to the speakers.

I agree with the you on the wired set-up, it's just the main head-unit that I would prefer to be able to receive Bluetooth music, I would be using cables from the head-unit to the speakers.

Check out Denon 4100.

Brand new on the UK market, came out last week, has bluetooth and wifi built in, 7 way AV receiver.

Nearly bought it couple of week ago, but ended up with 4520 in the end.

Hi SPX, one of our forum members owns/runs a company installing exactly this kind of thing. I met him at the Benz on the Green event earlier this year, his name is Paul and he has a black SL55. I am sorry that I didn't get his forum id but maybe someone, Ollie or Nick can help out?

Matt :thumb:

We have three separate Denon Ceol units which are cheap and very good. £200 a pop plus speakers - Bose waterproofs in the bathroom and Miller & Kreisels in the other two rooms. You can sync them all to Spotify and control them from iPhone or iPad with the Denon app. Built in DAB, FM etc. Great sound quality and easy to set up. Recommended.

Sent from my iPad using MBClub UK

I can't see you getting a anything decent sounding for the money you want to spend for built in and think you would be better to revert to a traditional system of source/amp and standalone speakers. You have enough space to make a system sound good, so use it to it's best. Speaker placement is crucial.

At that sort of budget I'd be looking at a proper hi-fi system on the used market .

It should be perfectly possible to get a reasonable turntable , amplifier and pair of speakers that will sound better and provide infinitely more musical enjoyment than any consumer audio cr@p you would buy new for the same money - sort of like choosing between a used S Class against a new Daewoo Matiz for the same money .

You should be able to pick up a reasonable turntable for a couple of hundred - Thorens , Rega , Pink Triangle are all contenders , direct drives from Technics etc would be a second choice but a decent belt drive would be best - budget for a new cartridge , or at least new stylus , and a drive belt .

A decent amplifier might cost disproportionally more as they have held their values , again look at Arcam , Sugden or my choice would be something like a Quad 77 pre/power combo : fantastic phono stage and remote control as well ! These typically sell now for about £500 .

If you prefer silver discs to black ones , the Quad 77 CD player is highly respected and would cost about the same as the turntable .

Speakers are a personal thing , but scan Gumtree for some real bargains from the likes of KEF , B&W , Quad and many others : I recently picked up a pair of mint condition Tannoy 611's for £120 ! Although some would regard them as large floorstanders , they are tiny compared to my large IMF transmission line speakers which SWMBO does not like in the living room constantly :( Just the same , the little Tannoys are quite pleasant for casual listening .

Something along the lines of the above will give real musical enjoyment , and additional sources can be added at will . Decent hi-fi never goes out of date and many people , like myself , who spent serious money on advanced multi-channel systems have tired of them and gone back to two channel stereo which is much more natural and more rewarding to listen to .

Good luck .

I know its a bit of a distance but i have a pair of Kef Q4's you can have for free if you want to collect them in very good condition just have nothing now to drive them.

Tony.

Who wears the trousers at home?

If you, blinging great tower speakers and loads of mismatched components with a very large amp.

If your Mrs, a small tower system with flat panel speakers.

If you, blinging great tower speakers and loads of mismatched components with a very large amp.

I know I am not alone : a pal has to keep his Linn Isobariks in a cupboard ( using a pair of Sara's most of the time ) and , much like myself , only gets his toys out when SWMBO is away :(

I wonder how common this is ?

Off at a tangent - if you're building a 40 sqm single storey, multi use family room, now is the perfect time to cable for home cinema too, as the room sounds ideal for it (if it floats your boat, that is)

If that was the system I wanted, I'd have it, but I want something a little more discreet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom