Home spot light advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Horrgakx

Car
Audi S4 B9
At the top of the stairs I've hung a picture that I want a spotlight to illuminate. I want it mounted on the ceiling and switched on the wall. I think I'd like LED lighting as it will be low power consumption and can be left on most of the time.

Any advice on what to buy please (as in the lamp & housing)?

Picture below of the area concerned.

Top-of-stairs.jpg

Do you want to control it separately than the landing light?

Yeh, probably the easiest thing is to change the existing single switch for a double and run more wire down there. Access to the loft is easy enough to get to wiring.

It ain't broke :) The developers left it that way.

Chances are the wall the pic is hung on (i presume its the one opposite the head of the stairs) is a studwork wall therefore you could either go for a proper picture light wall mounted, an uplighter below picture, a wall-mounted wall washer, or a ceiling mounted directional downlighter (prob best solution).

Be aware some led downlighter bulbs are very very white, almost blue-white - get a "warm" coloured one. For an LED you could possibly direct cable it in up in the loft and leave on permanently (if you intend to have it always switched on anyway). Saves faffing with a switch tail down inside the wall if it isn't trunked well...

Yeh a ceiling mounted directional downlighter (a 'spotlight' to a layman like me) is what I had in mind. Permanently on I'm not sure about though from the ceiling to the existing light fitting might not be too difficult.

Do you have a product in mind?

Yeh that looks like the thing - wondering if the angle will be enough, maybe a wall lighter?
This WL020 LED3 RGB looks funky :) though not good for a picture - but the idea is there.

Last edited:
Those echo switches look interesting, especially as they are from a recognised, not snake-oil, company

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom