Home Theatre Media streaming ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LTD

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Polo GTi (and a travel pass for the train and subway)
Bear with me on this one ...

My iMac sits in a different room from the main TV (as yet an unpurchased flat screen to replace an ageing CRT).

I have the vast majority of my movies ripped to an external HDD that is attached to said iMac. I used a wireless router (n spec)

I have Plex Media Server installed on the iMac and also on the 'i' devices that we all have.

I do not have any CAT 5/6 cabling between the rooms and it is well neigh impossible to install without a whole load of grief.

So the question is ....

What would be your solution so that I can stream movies/TV from my iMac to the TV and control things from the main living room ?

If you're prepared to use iTunes to manage your movie library then Apple TV will do the trick for £100 quid

Don't want to be tied to the single movie format Apple use - don't want to rerip all my movies again.

iTunes can only use on HDD as it's location AFAIK. I have movies on one, TV on another, music on a third etc. ...

Last edited:
I use a wd (western digital) Media box hooked up to a 1tb drive with films etc. it also had another USB that I attach either pen drives or smaller external drives with films etc.

The new models have built in hard drives also.

It plays all the 1080p Mkv files not sure the apple box does 1080? Only 720

I've found no file format it will not play

Thanks A210AMG

I've got a WDTV like you. It's good but not ideal for the end result I have in my mind's eye.

I like the visuals of the ATV2 but I don't like the limitations of file formats, locations and resolutions.

I really like the Plex interface as it's very much like the Apple offering but with many more options on everything that the ATV2 suffers.

I've looked at the LG 'Medialink' enabled TVs as this is basically the Plex architecture but that ties me into a Smart TV and I'm not sure if I really want to go down that route. Getting the data from one room to another could be as simple as using Homelink units to send files via my mains cables and an ethernet cable to a TV/streamer.

The answer will be out there ...... and I know it's not a jailbroken ATV2

Just been Googling - there might be a solution to the multiple HDD issue.

If your going wireless you need to bear in mind wifi speed, especially if your using HD content. If you don't have an N speed network I'd recommend upgrading that too.

Thanks for that - already using an N spec router.

Thanks A210AMG

The answer will be out there ...... and I know it's not a jailbroken ATV2

Any reason not to go for a jailbroken ATV2? A jailbroken ATV2 with XBMC will offer all that you are looking for (although it has a limit of 720P)

In my mind, you have the big TV, surround sound etc etc so why limit yourself to 720p

OK maybe I would not be able to tell the difference 720p, 1080p bu I'd rather make full use of the equipment.

I thought a new Apple TV was due out which wll be 1080p?

In my mind, you have the big TV, surround sound etc etc so why limit yourself to 720p

OK maybe I would not be able to tell the difference 720p, 1080p bu I'd rather make full use of the equipment.

I thought a new Apple TV was due out which wll be 1080p?

Fair point, I have xbmc on Linux running at 1080p and you can tell the difference so I can understand that reasoning.

I'm also hoping that the ATV3 will be running the A5 chip so it'll support 1080p (I have xbmc running on an iPad 2 and that is 1080p on an A5 chip)

Any reason not to go for a jailbroken ATV2? A jailbroken ATV2 with XBMC will offer all that you are looking for (although it has a limit of 720P)

The 720p would be the reason.

I'll be getting a 1080p TV set so there is no point in restricting the viewing that way.

At the moment, the box seat option for me is to stream from an iPad that uses the Plex app with the HDMI cable. That will do the 1080p and give me an interface that I really like (very much like XBMC as you probably know).

It also allows me a free choice of panels - if I was to limit myself to the LG app then I need to buy an LG TV.

A Mac Mini would also do the trick but that's a lot more than nicking the wife's iPad !!!

LG NAS device (suggest N1T3 > N2A2DD2 or N4B2ND4) will connect to your wireless router and stream media to any device that can access the internet.. put ALL your music, films, photo's, documents and so on and access Where ever you are ...(where ever you can get access)

I currently use a wii to access mine at home for films etc, but as above I can also pick up on my phone or laptop ..

DDNS (yourname.lgnas.com) comes with.

I AM however slightly BIASED as I work for LG and in fact, I look after the UK channel for LG NAS devices :D

Being honest, most competitors also offer a similar NAS solution

(Network Attached Storage)

N1T3 (1TB) is our latest offering ...

LG Electronics N1T3 1TB NAS iTunes Server, DLNA and Built-In DVD-RW (N1T3) - dabs.com

The 720p would be the reason.
I'll be getting a 1080p TV set so there is no point in restricting the viewing that way.

I've got a Pana V series 50" plasma and stream from ipad/laptop via ATV2. I also watch bluerays direct (so 1080p) plus Sky HD (1080i where available) and I'd have to be sat in absolutely the right place (distance/ height from screen) to see any measurable difference between 720p and 1080. Any difference certainly doesn't spoil my viewing enjoyment.

I did use a laptop and then PS3 slim to stream, but find the ATV2 so much more convenient that I only use that now and just convert everything with handbrake if its not already ATV2 format. I completely understand your reluctance with ATV2 if you need to format all your media as handbrake is slow. ATV2 can also be a right pain to jailbreak. I know a few people that gave up despite being dab hands at jailbreaking iphones.

I've been looking at getting an Apple TV and have still not made my mind up. Worth looking at the Boxee Box, it's had some good reviews and I'm tempted to get one:

D-Link Boxee Box Digital Media Player | Ebuyer.com

It supports loads of file formats and is 1080p however I'm not sure about streaming to it from a Mac though.

Slightl hijack, but does anyone know of a way to stream between two DLNA clients?

I have a smart tv with a lovefilm app, and a Panny DVD (vieracast) player in another room.

Both have DLNA built in, but the Panny doesnt have the Lovefilm app, so I would like to stream films from the smart tv to this.

Slightl hijack, but does anyone know of a way to stream between two DLNA clients?

I have a smart tv with a lovefilm app, and a Panny DVD (vieracast) player in another room.

Both have DLNA built in, but the Panny doesnt have the Lovefilm app, so I would like to stream films from the smart tv to this.

I don't think you can do this, the smart TV isn't storing the data (AFAIK) so it can't send the data on ... you need to have a server of some description (like the NAS device) ... downloading from Lovefilm to the NAS and then can stream to any other DLNA client. Advice would be to talk to AV professionals - or post AVForums.com - UK Online

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom