Homebrew Ethanol...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinal

MB Enthusiast
Car
x254, G350, Duster, S320, Mach1, 900ss and a few more
With the increasing price of fuel, I've been looking at alternatives...

I found an article on this thing...

EFuel100, Earth's First Home Ethanol System, a Product of E-Fuel Corporation

Apparently, for 10,000 dollars, you get a blend between a fridge and a distillery... just add water and sugar. I haven't read up fully, but from the marketing spiel, it would appear to make 150-odd litres of fuel a week, which is more than I use now...

Looks to good to be true... has anyone got one, or seen one in operation?

M.

I suspect most insurers would take a fairly dim view of an ethanol production plant anywhere near your home. There are probably legal restrictions on storage, too (from a fire/explosion POV).

I foresee a imminent visit from H.M. Customs and Excise if you were to go down such a path. Even if you didn't make any ETHYL ALCOHOL!!!! in it, possession of unlicenced equipment to do so is an offence in itself. HM Revenue & Customs

But wouldn't it be the same as running your car on chippy oil? Don't you just declare it at the end of the year?
Technically, it isn't "drinking" alcohol... I'm fairly sure you wouldn't live long if you drank that... does the same law apply? (e.g. from morrisons E85 pumps; do they have to pay alcohol duty?)

Doesn't a vehicle running on ethanol require a corrosion proof fuel system?
You would definitely have to research what impact ethanol will have on the engine oil. Expect negative consequences - 'galation'.

But wouldn't it be the same as running your car on chippy oil? Don't you just declare it at the end of the year?
Technically, it isn't "drinking" alcohol... I'm fairly sure you wouldn't live long if you drank that... does the same law apply? (e.g. from morrisons E85 pumps; do they have to pay alcohol duty?)

Fraid not---its the alcohol duty implications. Historical in nature but still extant Mixed with petroleum guarantees its undrinkable just as denatured alcohol is supposed to be --but people still drink it! :eek: You can bet that the plant that blends the petrol/alcohol fuel is constantly monitored by HM Customs and Excise. :cool: Chippy oil on its own has no duty implications- unless its used as motor fuel of course.:p

Operating costs may mount?

"OPERATING
Temperature: -20° F (-29° C) to 120° F (49° C)
Output potential each 7 day cycle: up to 70 US gallons (280 gallons using En-
hanced Feedstock)
Water consumption: 0-4 US gallons per gallon of E-Fuel100 produced
Waste output: water and respective feedstock residue less the alcohol
Power consumption: Standard Feedstock approx. 3 KWh/gal E-Fuel100; Enhanced
Feedstock approx. 1KWh/gal E-Fuel100 produced
Automatic fire suppression system: ABC dry chemical
REQUIREMENTS
Power: 220-250V, 5-0-60Hz, 20 amp dedicated breaker
Water supply, min 30 psi, 10 gallons per minute
Level installation pad and drain
Subscription to the E-Fuel Global Network (monthly fee may apply)
E-Fuel Global Network access 24x7 (Internet Wi-Fi, data cell or satellite)"

Looks to good to be true... has anyone got one, or seen one in operation?

M.

"The Organic Fuel Tank holds organic waste (feedstock) for processing by
the MicroFueler. Typical feedstock consists of waste identified and aggregated by your E-Fuel distributor.

On an as needed basis, your distributor delivers feedstock to your MicroFueler
which in turn produces E-Fuel100 ethanol. Enhanced feedstock may be
used to increase daily E-Fuel100 production. Enhanced feedstock has been
pre-processed by your distributor to increase the alcohol content up to
50%. Standard feedstock typically contains 15% alcohol."

Sooooo you have to the buy the "standard" feedstock (which is 15% alcohol) from them

To get 150 litres per week, assuming a 100% extraction rate, that means you would need 1000 litres per week of "organic waste".

What precisely is this "organic waste"? How much does it cost to be delivered?

How much is the "enhanced feedstock"?

The feedstock can be pretty much anything.. they will deliver "waste" to household users - but if you're on a farm, school, etc you can sign up for their "self suffient user" thing, where you provide your own raw material...

That said, the 3KW/gallon doesn't sound too good...

M.

The feedstock can be pretty much anything.. they will deliver "waste" to household users - but if you're on a farm, school, etc you can sign up for their "self suffient user" thing, where you provide your own raw material...

That said, the 3KW/gallon doesn't sound too good...

M.
I thought it said 1KWH/gallon

EDIT: ignore that, its for the enhanced feedstock :doh:

Surely if its that good, someone somewhere - ie. industry - would already be doing it on a large scale, and it would alredy be freely available?
You can produce ethanol from more or less any organic waste with the right microbes. Its just a simple fermentation process after all.

Surely if its that good, someone somewhere - ie. industry - would already be doing it on a large scale, and it would alredy be freely available?
You can produce ethanol from more or less any organic waste with the right microbes. Its just a simple fermentation process after all.

Most developed countries now sell ethanol... or at least have ethanol in the unleaded fuel...

In Italy, standard unleaded has 15% ethanol at most pumps. Brazil is almost purely run on ethanol. Morocco is another 15% country. France has the option at many pumps.

Morrisons in the UK is starting at select pump to offer 85% ethanol, 15% unleaded - but they are selling for 2p less than their standard unleaded... so not much of a saving there...

M.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom