Honda Accord throws a wobbly - replace/repair?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ade B

MB Enthusiast
Car
2006 Accord Tourer iCDTI EX
Flippin' heater matrix has packed in on my '06 65k allegedly cheap and uber reliable japanese Accord Tourer.

An £800 fix.. :(

As I'm back in familiar CE repair territory, shall I chop it in for a C class estate before the next thing falls off...? I'm thinking the depreciation hit and financials will probably cost a bit more than the repair - but I'm a bit peed off that my switch to a 'modern' car has provided less than 6 months of trouble free motoring over 9k miles... it will need new tyres soon as well... :rolleyes:

Ade

Last edited:
Chop it, come on home.

Many points to consider I know. Any car needs tyres from time to time, exhaust and battery next I should not wonder.

Chop it, come on home.

Many points to consider I know. Any car needs tyres from time to time, exhaust and battery next I should not wonder.

Don't mind maintenance costs, they are just part of car ownership - its just surprised me that a relatively new car has something so basic break after 4 years... am I being unreasonable in my expectations?

From the MB perspective, I'd really prefer a 211 estate but the kind of age and mileage I'd be buying into would leave me exposed to similar kinds of issue..

Damned if you do damned if you don't.. suddenly 3 year warranties on a new car look attractive...

Ade

...its just surprised me that a relatively new car has something so basic break after 4 years... am I being unreasonable in my expectations?
Not unreasonable, just unlucky :(

Will Honda not contribute on a goodwill basis?

Ditto. A friend with an Accord had a cracked exhaust manifold on a 6yr old with 90k, plus non-main dealer service history. Honda still paid for 100% of the repair costs. I think it may have been a known issue on some cars.

If it was me, I'd still get the car fixed. Consider the car's had its first warning. Another repeat expensive offence in the next 2yrs and it's out.

Last edited:

Not tried yet, I've not much of a relationship with them (1 service and 1 replacement alloy wheel purchase so far). I took the car to my Indy for what was supposed to be a cheap AC test/inspection - but will put it through Honda to repair if I decide to keep as their quote was the same as the Indy. On the bright side its not cost much to fix so far..

The indy said they'd sealed the leak successfully already (no idea what with and have since read various pros and cons of k-seal and the like - another can of worms...:rolleyes:)

Ade

Ditto. A friend with an Accord had a cracked exhaust manifold on a 6yr old with 90k, plus non-main dealer service history. Honda still paid for 100% of the repair costs. I think it may have been a known issue on some cars.

If it was me, I'd still get the car fixed. Consider the car's had its first warning. Another repeat expensive offence in the next 2yrs and it's out.

The cracked manifold along with the failing leccy boot are known issues and Honda have provided extended 7 year or 100k miles warranties - I had my manifold checked for free last time the car was in.

Every vehicle I've owned has spat its dummy at some point - Old pug GTi had a rotting cooling system (at 16 years old), BMW R1100SS chewed up its clutch output shaft and the CE happily cost me £800 every six months for something or other.. Even my Vespa fuel sytem disintegrated..

Quite like the practicality of the Honda as a well specced motorway cruiser and family hack, I don't fret about its appearance like I did with the CE and it was bought to run into the ground over 5 years - I just didn't expect a corrosion issue at this stage in my ownership.

Hey ho... its only money and all that..:dk:

Ade

I had the cracked manifold on my i-cdti Honda Accord Tourer (no joy from the dealers) and the turbo started giving problems at 90K too. I traded it in, which was a pity since it a decent car to drive. Although nothing like the 320cdi.

The only car I never had a problem with was Pug 306 Xsi. 6 years ownership and never a single issue outside routine servicing. Amazing really.

Oh dear, that isn't good. No idea on the pros and cons of using sealant for a matrix, but I do recall on the inspection of my Bentley the engineer getting very heated with the garage that they had not replaced the matrix as the sealant sent out a stink and he thought they were being incredibly lazy.

I canned my Civic Ctdi after it failed to start three times, at each call out the same AA man (they provided the call out for Honda Assistance) expressing increasing incredulity. They are more reliable than many, but they do go wrong. Perhaps you are fated with cars....

I am not sure current Mercs provide better long term reliability. Skodas are well built....(ducks and runs for cover....)

Well its back in the drive and about to head up to Nottingham (back tomorrow evening then back up again Monday).

The garage has tried to clean the carpets (read soaked the passenger footwell and overmat) and it stinks even more than before..

Heating is currently working, but with all the water in the car, the rear window won't demist :( I expect this to dry out over the weekend with the aid of my dehumidifier..

Will monitor and then decide what to do. Right now I'd happily douse it in petrol and strike a match, but I know in a couple of days I'll be reconciled to my (and the car's) fate. When it all works, its rather a good package for what I paid for it judging by my brief foray into autotrader this afternoon. The equivalent MB is double the cost and I don't want to despec/down size as its a perfect size for us now, has a good balance between performance and economy and importantly has all the toys I like (including heating!).

Re the wrong coolant - I'm fairly certain it now contains the wrong stuff courtesy of my Indy.. until today it had a full Honda SH and maintenance record..

Ade

Is it an estate that you need? ;)
It's just that I know someone about my size selling a near-mint W211 320 Cdi Avantgarde....:rolleyes: :thumb:

All repaired and back on the snowy street - I spent 1/2 hour this afternoon digging my neighbour's A124 out the drive and didn't want to repeat the exercise in a hurry...

Honda even made a small goodwill contribution and they rotated my tyres to get the best tread back on the front.. Did a fair bit of test skidding to get confidence back on the way back.

Nice to have my car back :)

Ade

You can get 2yrs full warranty when buying used at the moment can't you from mercedes?
Perhaps this deal has expired but worth a look!
S

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom