Honda Accord

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

woodfield

The which report was the last straw for me.
I know I will stand accused in this forum of being a boring old bar steward but I am ordering a new Honda Accord 2.4vtec Auto Executive. It has most of the bells and whistles as standard AND, they wont charge me £80 for a vanity mirror or £300 for split and folding rear seats.
I thought the MB C180 was a great car to drive but the 'extras' two of which are above, add up very quickly.
Good luck to all you nice people, it's a shame I won't be telling you of my exploits in my new MB.

Get out of here and don't come back you traitor!

Only kidding. :D

Hondas are really nice cars. I am surprised that they don't have better market penetration here in the UK. In Australia they do rather well.

Had a Civic VTi before I got my CLK. Must admit that it was an absolute scream to drive. It was the 180 bhp version with the 1.8 litre engine - the hot hatch of their range until they brought out the Type R.

Never had any problems with it - great car. Just not ideal for wthe type of driving I normally do which is up and down the motorways all day! CLK is much better at that. High revving engine creates a monotonous droning noise at motorway speeds after a while. Handled like it was on rails though and was just so flickable and controllable, even when the front end breaks loose it does it in a way that makes you smile, not crap your pants! Brilliant level of interior trim too for the stndard price.

Would have no hesitation in getting another Honda though - having driven the Type R Accord I would have one of those any day - ANIMAL! Although again, not while I am doing the motorway thing.

Have a friend with an S2000 and he has nothing but good things to say about that too!

Hope that you enjoy the new car.

Guy

It is a sad but true situation... Most German marques (but especially Mercs & Bimmers) are expensive when it comes to 'optional extras' whereas most Japanese makers tend to throw everything in as standard.

Hope you enjoy the new Accord! The vtec engines are supposed to be pretty sweet.

S.

Originally posted by Gizmo750

Would have no hesitation in getting another Honda though - having driven the Type R Accord I would have one of those any day - ANIMAL! Although again, not while I am doing the motorway thing.

Agree . . . Guess what I had before the C200 . . . .

atr.jpg

212 BHP :D from a normally aspirated 4 cylinder 2.2 !

so I've taken a serious downgrade performance-wise :( :( but the Accord was high maintenance & costly on fuel, I now have a much less bumpy time on the motorway !! (and the Merc is much cheaper to insure !!!!)

Originally posted by sym
212 BHP :D from a normally aspirated 4 cylinder 2.2 !
Shame you didn't have that to take to Germany, that would've been awesome around Nurburgring :devil:

S.

Not that awesome - I have an S2000 at the moment (thinking of swapping for a C270 CDI hence being on this board) and that produces 237HP from a 2.0 litre NA !!!!

Hit 6000 revs, allow VTEC to kick in and whoosh - all the way to 9200 rpm !!!

Originally posted by rooney1000
Not that awesome - I have an S2000 at the moment (thinking of swapping for a C270 CDI hence being on this board) and that produces 237HP from a 2.0 litre NA !!!!

bet that engine won't last 400k without a hickup like that E300 TD :D :bannana:

Originally posted by rooney1000

yep . . . lots of fun . . . sadly not a "family" car though :( :(

one day . . . . . :rolleyes:

Just re-read my post - didn't mean it to sound like I was saying the Accord was not up too much...just highlighting what Honda can do with their engines !!

Family car it isn't - although for two people it has a surprising amount of room. I can get my golf clubs, trolley and some soft storage in the boot at one time....compare that to my Elise I used to have and it feels practical !!!

Originally posted by fuzzer
bet that engine won't last 400k without a hickup like that E300 TD :D :bannana:

Evidently not, I heard that out of over a million VTEC engines only one or two have self destructed.

I think the Japanese car makers are taking over from the Germans. I know we sell more parts for BMW's, MB's, Audi/VW etc than we do Honda's, Toyotas and even Hyundai's. That does not include Daewoo's though!!

Interesting that a friend has a Evo producing 330bhp from 2litres and another with a Honda Integra producing 200+ from a 1.8Litre.

I love my Merc to bits, but unfortunately I doubt if I will get another, perhaps not because of the cars themselves but more because of the Dealers, they stink!!

Originally posted by GrahamC230K
Why not??

4 doors, big boot no?

I was referring to the S2000 !!

Yeah - the Accord was adequate space wise . . . just needed that LITTLE bit more !

S.

Many thanks for your good wishes folks.
I guess I'll have to squander and wander over yonder through the rhonda in my honda of which I'm..er.. fonder!

Originally posted by jimmy
Interesting that a friend has a Evo producing 330bhp from 2litres and another with a Honda Integra producing 200+ from a 1.8Litre.
Hehe, 86bhp from my 698cc Mercedes lump - but they have been known to go pop at suprisingly low mileages :rolleyes:

Woodfield, Wish u good luck with ur Honda.

I have just swapped my Accord 1 week ago for E class and for around 3 years I have never had any problems with it.
The dealers are great the car is biult to last.
B4 i plunge out for the MERC I was opting for the Accord diesel due in Feb, the New 5 series or the E Class. In the end i went for the E220CDi which has a superb drive and road presence.

I have never had so many compliments from friends and the respect on the roads makes u smile.

Anyway..I do miss the Accord and could give it a bit of welly now and then and it would still do its job...the engine can be revved to theheaven and its still works. I'm more reserved with my E class and give it respect and since its relatively new I look after it.

I have great respect for Hondas and will buy a CRV as 4x4 when it gets the Cdi engine next year.

Now i wish they brought out an New accord type R that would be my wish list. Then I can misbehave in the Type R and be mature again in mY E Class.

Good luck and i might see u on the Hondaforums.co.uk

Adam

Originally posted by smartbrabus
Hehe, 86bhp from my 698cc Mercedes lump - but they have been known to go pop at suprisingly low mileages :rolleyes:

Tell me about it!

We are convinced our little Smart is going to go bang any day now.:( Recently had a new turbo and manifold but that didnt completely cure the loss of power it has occasionally. It has also developed a rather worrying drink problem, 4litres of Mobil1 every week.:crazy:

The piston rings are worn on at least one cylinder, it's not quite 3 years old and has just gone over 50K miles, not good.

Incidentally is the gear change any better on your new one or can you still make a cup of tea between gear changes?:D

Looks like the stealer did my wife a favour!

I posted about my wife getting the hump after the stealers behaviour towards her and she went and bought a Honda CR-V instead of a C Class in a fit of temper… It looks by some of the previous posts they may have done her a favour!

A regards the V-TEC engine, I was watching Clakson on Top Gear testing an S2000, he says its 10 million V-TECS with major mechanical failure!! Jeez, that is relaibility! CR-V = Honda = Reliability :)

And she is still rubbing it in about my Merc going phut again…

I'd agree the CRV is a very reliable car and is better biult compared to the ML which get the worst reviews everywhere. If i was going for a prestige brand in 4x4 it would be the X5. If i was serious about off-road it would be the Range Rover.

I may consider the RAV4 or the CRV but the Honda diesel 2.2CDi has the edge in performance and economy. It delivers 340Nm torque same as the E220cdi and around 140Bhp. and around 50mpg. I guess the fiqure will be lower in a 4x4.

Recent reviews in autoexpress(this week) shows Honda Cdi as best purchase in comparing BMW 320d. C220CDI and others.

The Cdti Honda engine won on all counts...price, performance, fuel economy. euro 4 compliance and diesel clatter(so much like a petrol engine). Now this isn't an ad for Honda....but I'd rather drive my MERC....just hope MB learns from Honda and then we won't have to look at the grass on the other side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom