Honda FR-V or Toyota Corolla Verso?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gchild

Car
C280 Sport
Anyone have any experience of these cars? need a good reliable MPV for an increase in family numbers!

How many seats do you need? FR-V has 6, Verso has 7. No personal experience of either, but I suspect both would be fine from the reliability POV. We were looking at used 7 seaters last year and the Verso (in diesel form) seemed to be the pick:

http://mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=49910

Have to say I saw FRV a while back mum and dad each side and little on ein car seat in the middle, looked a little set back.

Thought that was a neat idea. As in our car when the sprog was tiny wife sat in back with her.

Never looked at one up close, but being a Honda it should all work and keep working. The 2.2Cdti engine is very good as have a friend with a CRV and that does 40mpg easy.

We use the 3+3 seating arrangement in our Vito and it works very well.

We were boring and bought a Zafira two years ago

And.....its an excellent (MPV)

The Verso's rear two seats are tiny and the boot when up is not usable
A friend has one and whilst its nice inside, its not as practical if thats what you want one for.

The Zafira, rear two seats are very good and you can get several bags or buggies behind them

The VW one (so boring I forgot its name) was like sitting in a coal mine it was so grey

Didn't look at the FRV

Would recommend looking at a hi spec Zafira if you do though (low spec ones don't have the suspension set up of the Design)

PS Madza MPV middle seat was a joke, its not even a 5 seater with a boot!

saw the mazda 5, FR-V and verso at cargiant yesterday.

Agree mazda was a joke the middle seat in the 2nd row.

Verso was ok, but the clutch was very heavy (or has driving an auto benz just desensitized me?). with all seats up, there was little/no boot space.

The FR-V looked like the best compromise to me with six seats plus a usable boot. didn't get inside to have a look as they lost the keys!

How would mpg stack up say between a 2.2 diesal and a 2.0 or 1.8 petrol engine?

I'd recommend the FR-V over the verso any day. I had a Stream which was a 6 seater Honda MPV pre FR-V and it never missed a beat in 2-1/2 years and 30k, very reliable and comfy, plus reasonable frugal too, 36mpg from a 150bhp 2.0 V-Tec isn't too shabby.

Put it this way, I would have got one if i could have afforded one before i bought my w124 as there wasn't much else that ticked all my boxes.

"How would mpg stack up say between a 2.2 diesal and a 2.0 or 1.8 petrol engine?"

Our 2.2 petrol Zaffy does 40mpg on a long run, just under 30 round town

I suspect most 2.2 petrol MPV's would show you the high 30's or so, the 1.8 a friend has isn't as good and lacks power when full up.. so I would recommend a larger petrol engine

The diesel MPV should be good for nigh on 50mpg these days (but was £3k more expensive to buy like for like, and at 10k pa, that would have meant 10 years to claw the £3k back...)

My mate has a petrol FRV he bought new, he loves it. Having been in it a few times, the only thing that sticks in my mind is it has hose down rubber floors in a leather + walnut trimmed car and the middle seat would annoy me when its folded forward as it looks like the back of a folded seat and not a leather arm rest..

Aside from that, it seemed great and has given him no grief mechanically in 2 years or so..

Ade

Ade - not keen on the walnut too, luckily they replaced it a couple years back for brush metal i think.

Fabes - when you do the calcs as you've done, it does takes some time to get the additional spend back vs the increase in mpg. i reckon i will stick with what i know and go for petrol, unless i can get a diesel version for a similar cost

My wife has a 2.2d Verso. We got it new in 07.
Got a leaflet thru the door last week - new price now c.14k. We paid 18k but heyho
She loves it. I'm not that bothered. It rolls about a bit round corners but goes quite well. The seats in the boot are tiny - only for kids -and no boot space when they are up but the boot space is excellent when they are down.

Against
The brakes are a known problem. Toyota used much too abrasive pads for the discs so the fronts score easily. I'm sure they have fixed this now. At next service I will get the discs replaced.
The cruise control is very rough compared to the CLK.
Very poor towing capacity I think 1500kg is max
The switches are just a little strange - for example you turn the temperature up with a dial and increment the fan speed with a button - not natural. You can't put the windows up unless the key is in the ignition and it is turned on. A PITA but hardly a major gripe.
Nothing else

For
It is a tough car and 2 kids and dog haven't damaged it yet
It averages 41mpg around town (with Mrs driving) I got 60mpg on a 170 mile run (worked out from tank to tank - not computer)

Good Luck

depends how big you are as i am 14 stones and find there is no space if you seat 3 at the front and my elbow keep hitting the door panel on the frv

Mrs BTB announced tonight that she wants an FR-V to replace her old Audi ...

finally got round to checking out a FR-V. does seem like the best mpv i've seen so far as all 6 seats seem usable, and with boot space to spare. the car did feel quite wide, and the handbrake position/operation a little strange.

also checked a VW Touran - good build, lots of space for driver, but fairly useless back seats for anyone other than kids. Plus poor user reviews suggests its a no no...

still need to check a zafira.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom