honda type r and cdti engines discontinued in the uk

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mercmanuk

MB Enthusiast
Car
C180 AVANTGARDE SE SPORT GONE AND MISSED LANDROVER FREELANDER 2 LET IT SNOW LET IT SNOW LET IT SNOW
honda are to stop sales of the type-r and cdti engines from end september this year in the uk due to emmisions.i was talking to a sales rep today who was saying the new engines will be available 2012 so what will they do untill then.60% of honda sales are the diesel engine.he was saying he's looking for a new job with another manufacturer.
he seemed genuinley concerned with hond's sales for the next 1-2 yrs.

he seemed genuinley concerned with hond's sales for the next 1-2 yrs.
I concluded that Honda's motorcycle division had completely lost the plot two or three years ago. It seems that their car division is similarly blessed with incompetance. Poor old Sōichirō must be spinning in his grave :(

And you were what, surprised?

No just laughed at when I came behind a SAAB convertible and had to hold the revs at 6000rpm in order to be ready to overtake. The occupants had a look of disdain as they turned round at the revving plonker behind them :D

I had read about this a couple of months ago on the Civinfo forum, quite amazed, as the CTDi engine was Honda's first attempt at a diesel, you'd think with their attention to detail that they would have been up to speed with emission compliance.

It's a real shame, as has been pointed out before the CTDi is a big seller, I really like the power delivery, performance and economy of my 2.2 EX.

Could be a very big mistake for Honda.

Can only assume there's more to this than meets the eye? They left Formula one in abrupt fashion. Wonder if they are going thro the same management problems Mercedes went thro in the late 90's when the company was run by accountants who appeared to pay scant attention to the all important brand quality ? :dk:

Withdrawal of the CDTI...............NO SURELY NOT!!!!

I watched adverts with all other diesels being head butted by goats, swallowed by frogs and hammered by Penguins, because they were too dirty and clattery. Whilst the Honda CDTi just hummed along emitting cleansed air.

I feel cheated!!!!

[YOUTUBE]ZXf5UUnLzwQ[/YOUTUBE]

Sorry - thought Honda had replaced that diesel engine with the DTEC as it is more emission friendly. Well they have on the Accord and CR-v - surely the Civic will follow suit asap ....

Last edited:
No just laughed at when I came behind a SAAB convertible and had to hold the revs at 6000rpm in order to be ready to overtake. The occupants had a look of disdain as they turned round at the revving plonker behind them :D

Did you test drive it? Not sure why you'd buy a car if you didn't like its #1 characteristic. The sound and push at VTEC is the whole point - otherwise it's a conventional medium-tune 4-pot daily driver.

And worrying what Saab drivers think of you... :D

Withdrawal of the CDTI...............NO SURELY NOT!!!!

I watched adverts with all other diesels being head butted by goats, swallowed by frogs and hammered by Penguins, because they were too dirty and clattery. Whilst the Honda CDTi just hummed along emitting cleansed air.

I feel cheated!!!!

[YOUTUBE]ZXf5UUnLzwQ[/YOUTUBE]

Nope, that ad pretty much sums the driving experience up ;)

Cracking engine, now replaced by DTEC as mentioned.

Ade

I had a CRX VTEC back in the day , the VTEC howl was what it was all about .

I really miss that car. If i have a lottery win , in amongst all the exotica in my garage will be a factory restored J plate CRX VTEC in Blade Silver.

P.S. Hammond is a **** , there'd be an NSX-R in there too.

Last edited:
Even though I had one and I liked it but they do my heading now so here we go..

torque.gif

Nope, that ad pretty much sums the driving experience up ;)

Cracking engine, now replaced by DTEC as mentioned.

Ade

My experience of the CDTi is that it is neither refined nor clean, which surprised me from Honda, and a brand new engine.

Replacing the older design CDTi with the newer DTEC would be better than leaving the brand with no diesel engine in its range of models. Makes a lot more sense now-- I was mixing up the honda engine acronyms :eek: The early CDTi diesels were plagued with excessive oil consumption while in the running in phase and was one reason why Honda re-introduced the engine dipstick with strict instructions to monitor engine oil levels on a regular basis. The new DTEC appears to be a further development of the original CDTi engine with numerous modifications to achieve better emissions. The most noticeable externally is the shifting of the turbocharger from the rear [ bulkhead] side of the engine to the front- effectively reversing the cylinder head and induction /exhaust system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom