Honesty in car parks

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gollom, May 18, 2007.

You cause some damage in a car park - what would you do?

1. Leave your full details

37 vote(s)
    50.7%
  2. Leave the car park

8 vote(s)
    11.0%
  3. Like to think you would leave your details, but when it comes down to it....

28 vote(s)
    38.4%
  1. Gollom

Gollom Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    S211 E220CDi AvantGarde, NTG 2.5 with Linguatronic
    OK. You are in a car park and accidentally cause some damage to another car. Nobody has seen you. Do you:

Results are anonymous.....

2. MBManInKen

MBManInKen Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mercedes S500 LWB (V220)
    Most definitely.

3. pammy

pammy MB Club Veteran

Car:
    hers - slk 320, his - dull diesel BMW fleet :/, Xtrail, Honda CBR 1100xx, Yamaha YZF600, Ribble Road
    I'd like to think that I am careful as far as possible so as not to cause anyone any damage in the first place. So if I did, then it would be accident and I hope I would be upfront and honest about it.

4. Dave Lewis

Dave Lewis Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    '06 Subaru Forester 2.5XT, '98 Subaru Forester
    CCTV! Best to come clean.

5. Bobby Dazzler

Bobby Dazzler MB Club Veteran

Car:
    ML AMG-line Black Series
    There is always an opportunity to "do the right thing", and owning up to damaging somebody else's property is the perfect example.

6. fuzzer

fuzzer MB Club Veteran

Car:
    F25 X3 20d SE
    i like to treat everybody as id like to be treated myself. As a rule of thumb in carparks tho , i never park next to anything worth less than my wheels. :)

Oh , and mine is the car at the other end of the car park in the middle of nowhere over 2 spaces.

7. OP
    OP
    Gollom

Gollom Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    S211 E220CDi AvantGarde, NTG 2.5 with Linguatronic
    Maybe we should have another poll? :bannana: :bannana:

8. WLeg

WLeg Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    CT-200h, VW Polo, Rav4,
    The last 3 people (1 door dented with trolly, 1 bumper scuffed, 1 mirror broken), who have marked my car were obviously not members of this nice, honest law abiding forum !!!!!!

9. ROBB

ROBB Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2001 W203 C220 CDI Estate (Rare Manual!)
    absolutely - place of choice is next to the most expensive one i can find - if it looks wel looked after - they will be more likey to look after it!!

10. masqueraid

masqueraid Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    E220 CDi & A170CDi

But as pammy has already pointed out in another thread, the minute you leave so does the more expensive motor only to be replaced by .... :crazy:

11. pammy

pammy MB Club Veteran

Car:
    hers - slk 320, his - dull diesel BMW fleet :/, Xtrail, Honda CBR 1100xx, Yamaha YZF600, Ribble Road
    ....someone else following the same principle - until you end up at the lowest common denominator :crazy: where they reckon you won't ding them but they don't care about dinging you :mad:

12. A210AMG

A210AMG MB Club Veteran

Hello,

My wife is use to the way I park, always miles away from anyone (it seems people don't like to walk a little). In a multisotory I always try and get near a wall so only one side of my car can be 'attacked' by people who don't give a .....

If plan A doesn't work, park next to another car that looks well looked after and cared for.

Avoid, people carriers and the like (even though I'm in a big bus)

I would like to think if someone hit mine they would also leave their details just as I would,the reality is that in the world today I somehow think they would drive off.

Good thing is now I can park in the baby bays (when I have our baby with us!!) which at our supermaket leave enough room round the car to open doors fully...and be no where near the next car.

Cheers

13. Bobby Dazzler

Car:
    ML AMG-line Black Series
    I always thought the same, until I heard someone the other day say: "I treat everybody in the way that they would like to be treated". True enough, that was in the context of sales & service rather than car park dings, but an interesting twist I thought.

IIRC you mentioned last year that you were taking a fancy to a Bentley - that might limit the number of parking spaces available to you!! ;)

Me too!!

14. Bobby Dazzler

Car:
    ML AMG-line Black Series
    Baby & toddler spaces rock!! :rock:

Trouble is though our local shopping mall requires a permit for such parking, and you're only eligible until the child is 4 years old. Looks like Mrs D and I will have to get diggy wid it every third year to maintain our eligibility!! :D ;)

Re Get diggy wid it - I know what you're thinking. How can this man be a Dad when his street lingo is so kool? I amaze myself sometimes. :D ;)

15. fuzzer

fuzzer MB Club Veteran

Car:
    F25 X3 20d SE
    My wheels on the X5 are already £1000 each :):D

p.s. im still looking closely at them too lol

16. Bobby Dazzler

Car:
    ML AMG-line Black Series
    :eek:

I don't know about avoiding other cars, you ought to be avoiding kerbs!!

17. MBManInKen

MBManInKen Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mercedes S500 LWB (V220)
    Well, you would think so, wouldn't you? I park in a secure underground compound. It's fairly expensive and perhaps as a result almost exclusively filled with Mercs, Bentleys and BMWs as well as the odd chelsea tractor.

So, I thought I'd be safe in there. Well, first week I had the current car, some ba***** scuffed my front bumper. Only tiny mark, but still.

We have allocated, numbered spaces so I can safely assume it's one of the 5 or six cars in the spaces opposite me, but of course no way of proving and no one confessed to it either. :mad:

18. grober

grober MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C200CDI Estate
    Watch who your dealing with.

One potential problem to be aware of, is the honesty of the "injured party". :eek: Some people immediately see Mercedes owners as "loaded" and feel they can exploit the situation, perhaps by exaggerating the damage to their vehicle.:crazy: I'm not saying you shouldn't do the right thing just to be aware that not everyone you deal with has the same scruples as yourself. :mad:

19. Bobby Dazzler

Car:
    ML AMG-line Black Series
    Good point.

That's where having a mobile phone (with camera) can be incredibley useful - for taking photo of damage to both cars immediately after it's happened, ideal with the vehicle in the position they were in when the mishap happened.

20. purplegoddess

purplegoddess Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    89' 190e (Leo)
    Originally Posted by A210AMG [​IMG]
    Good thing is now I can park in the baby bays (when I have our baby with us!!) which at our supermaket leave enough room round the car to open doors fully...and be no where near the next car.

all car parks should have them but they are normally full of peoples nice cars and not a baby in sight:( :(

Last edited: May 18, 2007
Tags: