Hood movement R129

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dog

Car
BMW 530i, ford focus, Mercedes 300sl, Kawasaki zzr1100
The hood on the merc r219 (i am just curious) if is ok or not. When opening the hard top hood or soft it make a loud bang from the latches above the wind screen when unlocking. Which has been greased.
When closing the soft top above 6 to 7 inches from the windscreen it drops heavy onto the top of the screen is this norman ?
All works fine just a little worried it don't crack my windscreen.

Last edited:
The loud bang on release is normal, there's a lot of tension in the frame and mechanism. It shouldn't drop heavily on to the top rail though.

What Doodle said :)

Mine needs to land with a certain weight onto the windscreen top rail or it doesn't latch in , needing gentle pressure on the central grip to complete ; it works fine 9 out of 10 times but the other once it needs a little help .

I have a few loud clicks as suggested above it sounds like releasing/applying tension but the soft top land on to the roof quite gently

I have a few loud clicks as suggested above it sounds like releasing/applying tension but the soft top land on to the roof quite gently

I said heavy on to screen should have said quite firmly on to the top of the screen after the drop from about 6 to 7 inches. It does not drop softly maybe some soft tops are different on the r129 .
Is there a service or maintenance on the soft top ?

Can you not cusion it with your hand as it comes down to lock in place?

It sounds quite normal. Sometimes my passengers are shocked when it 'bangs' upon opening!

If you want to get the front catches checked and serviced, I highly recommend a guys called Adam at Cayman Auto Services in Dorking. he adjusted mine after I had a new hood fitted and he was recommended by the replacement hood manufacturers.

My hood would not click in fully due to the new tension created by the replacement hood, so he did a great job of sorting it in an hour or so.

Cayman Autos - Cayman Auto Services & Vehicle Repairs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom