Hood waterproofing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

langlois

Car
sl320
Hi,

Living in France, I have a 129 sl320, 1998, and when left outside in the rain, the hood leaks above driver's left knee (lhd car). I've tried silicone grease to no effect and today discovered that water is not coming past the seal, but past two screws an inch or so behind it - in other words maybe through the actual fabric.
I suppose I should re-waterproof it before going any further.
Does anyone have any advice about the best product to use and how to go about it ?
Thanks for your help !

Langlois

I use Fabsil - available from any camping shop.
Give the hood a good clean first.

I use Fabsil - available from any camping shop.
Give the hood a good clean first.

What he said.
I used it on soft tops for 9 years.
If you want to clean it first use Johnsons Baby wash (the unscented version which used to be in the blue bottle).

As the previous two, Fabrisil on mine as well, gentle wash and let the hood dry and then brush on with a new paint brush on a dry day. I gave mine two coats at 90 degrees front to back and left to right and it's been fine. :)

As the previous two, Fabrisil on mine as well, gentle wash and let the hood dry and then brush on with a new paint brush on a dry day. I gave mine two coats at 90 degrees front to back and left to right and it's been fine. :)

done the same myself fabsil from camping world they sell it in 5 litres is cheaper although for one car one coat is ok best to leave to dry and do second coat apply with brush.

do it on dry none windy day so it is absorbed and soaked.

if ragtop shrunkmthen u need to apply petrolum gelly ut then means u need several sunny days for that to be absorbed then for sealent coat/s applied

if faded u can apply fabric paint to restore the colour avail on ebay or simple fabric paint

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom