Hope You Can Help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

speedtriple

Car
MB ML70 CDI, Mitsubishi L200
I have a 2004 Mercedes ML270 Auto, on AMG 20" wheels and wondered if anyone has come across or had a similar fault or any ideas as to what it might be.

I have not had the ML long and there was a grating noise from the front end, it sounded like the pads required replacing even though the brake warning light was not lit the console. On inspection the front pads were low and the discs were worn, both have been replaced but the noise is still there.

I have checked the rear brakes just in case and all is well. I have spun all the wheels individually to try and replicate the offending noise thinking it might be a wheel bearing, nothing, and there does not appear to be any discernible movement. I know jacking the car up and spinning the wheels is not the same as driving with over two ton resting on the wheels, but before I change the wheel bearings I thought I would ask the question.

Just a couple of points, there is no vibration coming through the steering or car, the gears change smoothly, and everything feels as it should, just this noise.

Hope you can help.

Gary.

Have you 'rocked' the wheels from top to bottom? Spinning the wheels alone will not detect wheel bearing issues. Is the noise coming from both wheels or just one?

The noise is to metallic for tyres, I thought this was possible at first, checked any play on the bearings by rocking, none at all. The noise appears concentrated on the nearside front. I will bring a Laser Temperature Gun home on Monday so able to see the temp of hub carriers on the front, see if there is a significant difference.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Gary.

Its worth checking your front differential

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom