Hoping to be a new ML owner

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mlm3s3

Car
Mercedes e220 cdi
Hi guys,

I was hoping that you could help me out. I am looking at buying an ML. I will be using the car daily mainly to work and back which is around 4 miles one way so not massively far and the odd drive up the mway.

I am looking for something comfortable, reliable and relatively economical (although i dont expect a miracle).

So the first question I have is which is the better of all the engines: 280, 350, 320 cdi or the 500. my budget is 16 - 18k, the 280 i would have thought is quite slow, but i could e wrong

Any advice would be much appreciated.

The 500 is the best engine, bullet proof pretty much, smooth, effortless.

It comes with a cost of 15-20 mpg. They also tend to be higher spec.

Really depends what you want though from a running cost perspective vs performance.

And welcome by the way.

500 best, then 350cdi I guess, but at £16-18k I think I would just be happy with a facelift (MY09 from sept 08 build).
Interior a big jump up.

280 is the same as the 320 I believe with a different ECU, so it is easily remedied by a brabus D6 kit.

I had the 320 CDI 06 plate. Was very good. Heartily recommend them. Especially with Airmatic and 22" wheels.

At 4 miles each way you wont see the value of the diesel over the petrol. Even more so in a big car.

It depends how much mileage you do at the weekends that should swing you - worth seeing the cost per year in fuel at the mileage you do to get an indication of the actual £ difference. You should be able to get into a petrol one much cheaper as their residuals are normally worse.

I assume if you are keeping it a few years then you wont be expecting huge amounts back for it anyway, regardless of fuel type.

If youre doing such short journeys in a diesel you will have to expect some DPF problems at some stage, so it may pay to go petrol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom