Horrible racket coming from behind instrument panel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonw2000

Hi

I have a C Reg 260E and whilst on the M11 going to Stansted on Friday (doing around 70mph) a terrible racket all of a sudden appeared and it seemed like it was coming from behind the instrument panel. It didn't sound as though it was an engine noise, although I can't be sure. The noise gets louder and harsher the faster the car goes and the higher the revs.

Has anyone experienced this before? It sounds like something may have come loose to do with the speedo or the rev counter.

Thanks

Jon :crazy:

Do the Speedo and Rev counter still work? As it sounds like the cable off one of them has broken?:confused:

sounds like something to do with speedo cable to me... Why dont you pull out the cluster, should be something obvious...

you can get at the cluster from underneath. Take the footwell trims off and push the speedo from behind quite hard. Dont try and use a screwdriver on the dash as it will leave a mark..

Jay

Yep, the speedo and rev counter still work

I will try to have a look myself. In the meantime I was wondering whether it is safe to drive or whether it may cause further damage.

Thanks

Jon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom