Horribly neglected W163 ML270 CDI - few issues sorted, few remain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

aquilaalba

Car
2003 Mercedes E320 CDI W211
Hi peeps! I've acquired a 2002 W163 ML270 CDI - car that was a non-starter, dead on arrival. Found few problems so far - some might help someone, hence the thread, will add a question at the end of the topic. It turned out to be a dead battery and someone put the 100A block fuse on positive battery terminal incorrectly - it was wire straight onto bolt, then fuse (blown) and plastic nut. That contraption wasn't making proper contact, so ended up replacing it (temporary with external maxi fuse box). Then I found out the coolant and glow plug lights would stay on. After connecting to diagnostics it was coming up with glow plugs and loads of other messages, also coolant temp was showing -40C. When I was looking for sensor to replace it, I found out that it was disconnected, so if it shows -40C, check plug and wiring. Next I had to add almost 7 litres of distilled water to coolant, didn't expect to add this much, but wasn't sure what colour coolant was used previously, so added water. It runs now with no lights after deleting errors, only ones left are two for left mirror, worrying one is B1108 - M13 Heating water circulation pump M2/2 Module box blower motor, B100A - M2/1 Rear blower motor, B1206M2/12 rear shut off flap position motor and lastly C1401 A7/3m1 High pressure and return pump.
What was odd, when I've replaced 100A fuse, the rad fan was on full blast constantly, rad light was on and codes were present P0115-2 (coolant temp sensor), P1482-4 (glow output overcurrent), and 2, 4, 5 glow plug failure. Connecting the temp sensor cleared the codes, don't ask me how, also the fan gone back to normal. Now I've got a coolant leak, weird as it's not very consistent, seems to weep from under the washer bottle area, thought it was that to start with, but seems to leak coolant. Will check tomorrow, but so far it runs and seems way better. Also oil is a sludge, not really oil, local servicing policies here I guess. Anyhow, wondering if it didn't cook the head gasket with that much coolant missing, will try to find where it's leaking from and change oil. The contraption on positive post was all backwards and was not making proper contact as it was all loose, hence I had the car as a dead lump. Looking forward to getting this back right, but why do people neglect cars this much in the first place? Is there any place where you can find an online PDF of service manual for these?

Here you go mate

Attachments

• IMG-20210209-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20210209-WA0003.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG-20210209-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20210209-WA0002.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 9
Checked the leak and it seems more like the washer bottle leaking rather than coolant, you can see drops of liquid on the bottom of ABS pump, it's sour to the taste and if it would be coolant it'd be sweet, so I'd say it's the washer bottle. Pity I filled it up too, also pity that both - the coolant and washer liquid - are blue in colour... I'll drain the washer bottle tomorrow and see if the leak persists or disappears. Also, to start the beast it takes over a minute of combined cranking, once started that day it will start quicker, so probably air leak from orings I read about. Any good description of that job anywhere? Got 6x oring from Mercedes, so ready for it, will start with new fuel filter tomorrow and will try to get few orings replaced. There's two on the pump and one on the fuel filter I know of. As for the manual, I will try to find one in PDF somewhere. More after service one. Thanks!

Captain's log: the leak turned out to be washer fluid leak, after draining the reservoir the leak stopped. Changed oil with oil flush, tappets are a lot quieter now, engine runs a lot nicer. Oil and air filter filthy as hell, oil was nasty too, upon arrival (came in dead) there was around 7 litres of water topped up so almost no coolant in the engine. How people can live like that? Now the fuel filter and fuel lines oring seals to do, as it starts after few looong cranks. Any videos or tutorials on that one?

I remember a customer brought in a porsche cayenne; he had owned it from new and it sounded like a tractor. Turns out he had never had it serviced in its lifetime and the engine was trashed :)

Another update, orings in fuel lines replaced, also new fuel filter - starts first time every time no problem now. Few niggly bits left to do, injector number four has 'black death' syndrome, but got myself a reaming tool, washers from Honda, new bolts and ceramic grease and will attack it soon, to sort out. How's your experience with using the truck with a known problem of this kind? I mean days, rather than weeks or months, some spitting under the cover, not completely filled with tar yet. Just loads of other little issues to iron out and need to run it a bit to find out what else is wrong, since it's been standing for a bit. All in all, runs lovely now and stops great, so main two things are there. Indicator stalk engages three blinks on right turn but refuses to carry on blinking when left on, not sure if it's common too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom