Horror story

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brian 1

Car
MB A Class 180d sport
My A180 front off side indicator stopped working, went in for a replacement under warranty, 22 days later I am still waiting for it back.
Communication is appalling, they returned a call on 1/8 and nothing since, my question is do Mercedes-Benz have to get parts from Germany?
(As they are saying), and we are talking about a new car here.

Most parts will come from Germany, but those that are routinely used will be stocked locally in the U.K.

Having to wait for unusual parts isn't itself unusual, but the lack of communication by the dealer is inexcusable. Do you have a courtesy car from them? If so, satisfy yourself that you're putting wear and tear on their car not yours; if you don't have a courtesy car then insist that they provide one.

Sounds like they are having you on mate, 22 ****ing days for a side indicator? That's an absolute joke.

I had ordered window seals for my w123 from uk dealership whom had them ordered in from Germany. Took less than a week to arrive!

Most parts will come from Germany, but those that are routinely used will be stocked locally in the U.K.

Having to wait for unusual parts isn't itself unusual, but the lack of communication by the dealer is inexcusable. Do you have a courtesy car from them? If so, satisfy yourself that you're putting wear and tear on their car not yours; if you don't have a courtesy car then insist that they provide one.
Hi Phil, yes we have a car supplied by Eurocar at their expense, just think they are taking the Micky and I prefer my car and want it back, just going drop in and see if they will be all over us like a rash,as they were when we were buying

I had ordered window seals for my w123 from uk dealership whom had them ordered in from Germany. Took less than a week to arrive!
The key difference is that the demand from build for your window seals was zero, whereas for a current production model a spares demand is competing with a demand for another new build. So the manufacturer has the choice of tying up a fully built new car minus the one missing part, or putting someone who has already purchased a car in a courtesy car. Guess which one they do?

It's probably been forgotten about. Having said that, they probably don't have it on express order either, as the parts department won't want to class is as a VoR (vehicle off road). So a kick up the **** is definitely over due! Start asking some questions and if they try to fob you off then log a complaint with MB directly and let them know you're doing it!

Are they telling the truth? Have you seen your car in the interim period? Things happen in the custody of dealerships

That sort of lead time is a disgrace. I remember, back in the 70s, my local MB parts department would say, on a Saturday morning, "Tuesday if it's in the UK, Thursday if it comes from Germany".

RayH

Its probably true given our recent experiences of ordering routine parts. Many items are on back order with no date. Had an Exhaust back box for a w203 on order for several months now.
Many parts just aren't stocked in the UK anymore.

Don't get me started on classic parts.

Possible scenario is that because its a new part from a new model that the existing component has a design fault meaning it has to be redesigned or resourced from an alternative supplier- This can lead to supply chain problems till a new supply stream of redesigned parts becomes available - and as said previously the production line is always going to have priority over the needs of owners of cars already sold. A quick check of the EPC often reveals frequent changes of component part nos often acompanied by the footnote [ in the event of failure the older part no should no longer be used!]

Are they telling the truth? Have you seen your car in the interim period? Things happen in the custody of dealerships
No we haven't seen the car at all, ringing MB complaints tomorrow

Possible scenario is that because its a new part from a new model that the existing component has a design fault meaning it has to be redesigned or resourced from an alternative supplier- This can lead to supply chain problems till a new supply stream of redesigned parts becomes available - and as said previously the production line is always going to have priority over the needs of owners of cars already sold. A quick check of the EPC often reveals frequent changes of component part nos often acompanied by the footnote [ in the event of failure the older part no should no longer be used!]
Thanks for the info

MB UK Complaints are useless, as other have mentioned it is likely a delay in parts. If it is being done under warranty it could be that MB in Germany are dragging their feet processing the dealer's warranty claim. I had issues with a seat belt when I had my A Class and MB Germany were taking the pi$$ regarding the warranty claim. Dealer could do nothing until it had been processed.

In general a parcel can be delivered from Western Europe to the UK without incurring the higher cost of overnight delivery, within 2 to 3 working days. Delaying the delivery any further than that does not result in any significant cost saving.

So given the long delay there could be many factors at work here such as the item's availability, backlog of paperwork, etc, but the physical distance isn't one of them.

why not ask them to remove the unit from another new car, fit to yours to get you going again, then they can fit the ordered one to the other car when it arrives

Brilliant idea jod will give it a try

jod we put this question to the manager and the reply is.... we are not allowed to do that, we have to use the one from Germany.
Nottingham MB have had a guy from head office to get a move on, but it seems it's the fault of Germany. Fed up now going to look at a BMW.......lol

It appears that a faulty seal may have been fitted to the front off side light system and has let water in to the LED's......??

jod we put this question to the manager and the reply is.... we are not allowed to do that, we have to use the one from Germany.
Nottingham MB have had a guy from head office to get a move on, but it seems it's the fault of Germany. Fed up now going to look at a BMW.......lol
That’s because your dealer doesn’t care about the cost of a hire car because the dealership doesn’t pay for it. However if the dealer provides a part from a car in stock then they won’t be able to sell it until the new part arrives, and so the dealsip does care about that. Bonkers but almost certainly reality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom