Horror story

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
i think i would jump up and down a bit, and demand something in compensation from MB

I will give it a try, I think I definitely deserve it.........

Its probably true given our recent experiences of ordering routine parts. Many items are on back order with no date. Had an Exhaust back box for a w203 on order for several months now.
Many parts just aren't stocked in the UK anymore.

Don't get me started on classic parts.

......This is something that I could turn into a serious 2 hour long rant.

Parts orders have been a nightmare lately they really have. SO many things back ordered that should be readily available. And yes, don't get me started on classic cars either...

I can well believe that they are having to wait ages to get your part!

Natacha

Looks as if they have replaced an indicator incandescent filament light unit with a mini LED array.
In doing this it may require in line resistors so that the CANBUS can sense a resistance similar to the old bulbs otherwise it may flag a faulty unit. Don't know if these Leds are built into the lighting units or are separate components? The custom car guys may know?
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I find it hard to believe a top Marque like Mercedes-Benz is so unorganized, from the receptionists who never return a call, to the management who seem to think the loan car will allow them to drag their feet......

I find it hard to believe a top Marque like Mercedes-Benz is so unorganized, from the receptionists who never return a call, to the management who seem to think the loan car will allow them to drag their feet......
I don't.

To be honest pal, you get to drive another Mercedes free of charge. Saving a lot of wear and tear on your motor, keeping it nice and fresh ;)

The key difference is that the demand from build for your window seals was zero, whereas for a current production model a spares demand is competing with a demand for another new build. So the manufacturer has the choice of tying up a fully built new car minus the one missing part, or putting someone who has already purchased a car in a courtesy car. Guess which one they do?

I suppy into Automotive sectors and know very well that this isn't the case.

There isn't just one basket of parts for the entire requirement/distribution of both production and spares to all sectors of MB. MB will have different orders for both production requirements and spares. A number of parts will be made for cars currently being manufactured. And then there will be a different order/requirement for spares which should be readily available for people like our man Brian here. These are, more time, delivered to different destinations.

Seriously, you guys must love getting shafted by MB dealerships if that's the kind of thought process that goes through your minds to excuse such a shit service.

There isn't just one basket of parts for the entire requirement/distribution of both production and spares to all sectors of MB. MB will have different orders for both production requirements and spares. A number of parts will be made for cars currently being manufactured. And then there will be a different order/requirement for spares which should be readily available for people like our man Brian here.
You're not considering far enough up the supply chain.

When the component manufacturer is capacity limited and they are on a penalty for line stoppages if they don't supply on time for production, which order(s) do you think they satisfy first?

You're not considering far enough up the supply chain.

When the component manufacturer is capacity limited and they are on a penalty for line stoppages if they don't supply on time for production, which order(s) do you think they satisfy first?

No sir. It is you who is not thinking far up enough.

In Automotive industry today for something commodity like an indicator (which is probably a moulding assembly), they will have several different suppliers in place who conform to their quality management systems and will have identical tooling to mould the components. As long as drawing remains same at same issue level, material remains same etc, they will essentially get the same part which are fed in to their system at several different tiers in enormous volume.

In this day and age, there is no excuse for a 25 day lead time for an indicator assembly.

In this day and age, there is no excuse for a 25 day lead time for an indicator assembly.
But there are a multitude of reasons why it can happen, some economic, some engineering, some external factors. Think back to when the Fukushima nuclear plant blew up: there were some very strange supply chain disruptions after that one and it didn't matter how many suppliers for given components were in place. JIT supply chains are much more fragile than many believe, generally for reasons they believe could never happen.

Updates...... been down to Mercedes-Benz today, did some jumping up and down, demanded to see my car etc, my car is outside the garage with the lower side front off, apparently because it is the new model this problem is a fault which has to be rectified in the seal therefore until it is rectified it's taking more time to get the parts.
In the meantime it's costing them £90 a DAY to keep my loan car, the girl was very helpful and they are trying their best to get it done. I am going to get compensation as in free service, a lot in my update has been said on here, thanks for your input,feel free
To comment.

Takes an awful lot of effort to be so disorganized as well.

Seems pretty bad atm. I am waiting for a week and counting now for a hinge on the SL.

Firstly I'd suggest you contact a moderator and ask them to move this post so it is in a thread of its own.

You will need to get an independent engineer to examine the car and report on it. Your insurer may wish to do this on your behalf if they believe that MBUK are incorrect in their assessment.

@st13phil, thanks for coming back to me on this. I will be in touch with my insurer now but if that fails can you please advice me of any independent engineer I can contact?

The problem any inspecting engineer will have is separating the damage that occured prior to or after what would appear to be a catastrophic failure of one of your wheel + tyres leading to a loss of control of the car. Unfortunately with todays low profile tyres wheel + tyre damage is an increasingly common occurence. If this happens at speed considerable subsequent damage may be done. Tyre failure can have many causes from incorrect fitment, running at low pressure, puncture, hitting a pothole , road debris, kerbing sidewall damage or vandalism ---and the initial damage may have occurred well away from the scene of the accident- its only when the accident occurred it decided to "let go" I would be advised by your insurance company. By all means express your concerns to them but in the light of no one being hurt and Mercedes own engineering report I doubt they will take it further.

How on earth were MB able to determine that the impact damage to the rim and steering rack occured before the rim failed, and not after???

I remember that we had to lose several Comets (and sadly, their passengers) before scientists were able to determine that the fracture on the window frame happened prior to the crash and not after.

At best MB should say that it remains inconclusive if the impact damage caused the accident, or was the result of it.

Sounds unbelievably amateurish.

Also, if the damage is high enough, you might be able to get your insurer to fight this for you.

They will then send their own expert to the MB garage and arrange a joint inspection, where the insurer's expert will ask some very difficult questions regarding how MB can prove when the impact damage was caused.

Only problem is that the insurer will only bother if they stand to save a substantial amount, otherwise it won't be worth their while to fight this for you.

Its probably true given our recent experiences of ordering routine parts. Many items are on back order with no date. Had an Exhaust back box for a w203 on order for several months now.
Needed one for my S203 a couple of months ago and my indie was told there were none in UK or Germany, and there was no estimated delivery term. To be honest I was happy with that as the pattern part was half the price. But it's rattling. He said it would.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom