Horsepower, torque and acceleration

Quicker from 70-90mph

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've voted for the E250 purely because of the aerodynamics and, having driven a vehicle with CVT, the Mercedes 'box should be slightly more predictable in it's power delivery.

Perhaps he should return and ask if any forum members would buy a car that was speed limited to 70mph.....

All civilian vehicles , whilst on UK public highways ARE limited to 70 mph ( or less , depending on the road ) , by Law .

:fail

Any chance you could show some decorum on this public forum?

This is one of times when you DON'T say what you do outright, you put the question hypothetically or substitute autobahn for motorway, for example. Very poor form.

:doh:

I'm guessing my mate Dave who recently saw an XJ giving it the beans, before catching and passing it at 148mph on a dual carriageway, shouldn't be telling the forum about it then :dk:

I'll have him executed forthwith.

Thanks to Pentoneer and GiantManVan this has turned into quite a funny thread. :bannana:

You might not find it just so funny if GVM's colleagues pull you for accelerating beyond 70 mph , or mine have to cut you out of your car or clean you up off the road following an incident :bannana:

I'm guessing my mate Dave who recently saw an XJ giving it the beans, before catching and passing it at 148mph on a dual carriageway, shouldn't be telling the forum about it then :dk:

I'll have him executed forthwith.

That Dave is quite a Jack the Lad , going by his various exploits we all keep reading about :D

Thanks to Pentoneer and GiantManVan this has turned into quite a funny thread. :bannana:

However, the results from the poll so far aren't very conclusive.:dk:

Oh well - only one way to test this. Drag race! :rock:

Deffo the way to do it, At a proper venue of course lol:D

You might not find it just so funny if GVM's colleagues pull you for accelerating beyond 70 mph , or mine have to cut you out of your car or clean you up off the road following an incident :bannana:

...instead you seem to think that you comment is funny?!
Assuming your dancing banana is an attempt at humour.
I retract my earlier comment on your input to this thread.

So, on a more serious note let me share something with you.

I'll confess I have actually accelerated over 70mph before - (for the record I think it was 72mph :rolleyes: ).
However, more importantly:
1. I didn't get arrested :eek:
2. I didn't cause an incident :eek:
3. I didn't have to get cut out of my car :eek:
4. I didn't get cleaned off the road :eek:
5. Lastly, it was fun - because life should be! :thumb:

3. I travel to Germany occasionally - usually at speeds of around 600 mph. For the record - this is not on any A roads, motorways, or other interesting country roads.

Thanks again. :thumb:

Now let's see.... 600 mph equates to 521 knots, so yes, that's about right.

Airbus or Boeing?

Robert :)

Now let's see.... 600 mph equates to 521 knots, so yes, that's about right.

Airbus or Boeing?

Robert :)

Thanks - I'll let the Airbus pilot know he's flying at the right speed. I'm sure he'll be glad to hear.

Airbus or Boeing?

Difficult decision.

On one hand, "if it's not Boeing I'm not going"

On the other hand, easyJet fly Airbus - if I want Boeing I'm flying RyanAir.

Bearing in mind the level of customer care (and hand baggage weight) between the two companies, It's going to be an A320 (or 319).

...instead you seem to think that you comment is funny?!
Assuming your dancing banana is an attempt at humour.
I retract my earlier comment on your input to this thread.

So, on a more serious note let me share something with you.

I'll confess I have actually accelerated over 70mph before - (for the record I think it was 72mph :rolleyes: ).
However, more importantly:
1. I didn't get arrested :eek:
2. I didn't cause an incident :eek:
3. I didn't have to get cut out of my car :eek:
4. I didn't get cleaned off the road :eek:
5. Lastly, it was fun - because life should be! :thumb:

Humour was not my intent , and since I didn't think your banana appropriate , I was returning it to you .

I'm fairly confident that the E will be quicker accelerating between 70 and 90 mph against a stopwatch, thanks to a combination of frontal area and drag coefficient, but the Murano will feel faster as it will be more audible.

As the OP states that he only wishes to do 72 mph, which car will accelerate faster from 70 to 72?

What Car says the E250 accelerates well in gear but isn't refined enough and clatters like a diesel. Also, it's harsh and boomy.

2013 Mercedes E-Class review - What Car?
Mercedes Benz E-Class E250 Cgi Se 4dr Review | What Car?

Phone around dealers, find out who has one (even if second hand on the lot) then go and drive one.

Thanks for this. Read before and it's a relatively harsh review of an otherwise good engine. Engine also been enhanced slightly since this review - little more power and a little more refined.

Wrt dealers. Yes - obviously been my first port of call. My closest dealer with an E250 is in Guildford. I'm in Bournemouth - so not exactly local.

Jesus wept, this forum sometimes!! :wallbash:

I think it depends more on the gearing, but in theory I would guess the 3.5L V6 may have the edge, but not by much.

BHP is everything, torque is simply a figure you use to multiply with rpm to get the BHP figure.

People talk about a 220cdi being quicker from 50-70mph in 4th than a 350 V6 petrol, what they forget is the petrol driver could drop down to 3rd and leave the 220cdi for dead.

Jesus wept, this forum sometimes!! :wallbash:

I think it depends more on the gearing, but in theory I would guess the 3.5L V6 may have the edge, but not by much.

BHP is everything, torque is simply a figure you use to multiply with rpm to get the BHP figure.

People talk about a 220cdi being quicker from 50-70mph in 4th than a 350 V6 petrol, what they forget is the petrol driver could drop down to 3rd and leave the 220cdi for dead.

That's really interesting. I always used to think BHP was the figure to look at. This was also supported by an Audi salesperson.
However, hearing more and more people telling me to look at the torque.

Plenty of stuff on net - must take a read. Maybe come across something to help me compare these two cars before I take delivery on the MB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom