Horsepower, torque and acceleration

Quicker from 70-90mph

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

harvin1975

Car
E Class Estate W212; VW Golf
Hi,

I've got a petrol E250 E class estate on order.
However, I haven't been able to test drive one of these engines as my local dealership doesn't have one.

Merc E250 petrol
211hp/5500
258lb torque
0-60 7.8s
Weight 1785.
Trans 7sp
RWD

I also have a Nissan Murano V6 3.5l petrol with the following:
245hp
246lb torque
0-60 8.9 s
Weight 1807
Trans CVT
FWD

So - on paper Merc is quicker to 60.
But accelerating say from 70-90 (typical motorway overtaking manoeuvere) - which one is likely to accelerate me quicker?

Although Merc is down on HP when compared to the Nissan I'm hoping it isn't going to be significant/noticeable.

Any techies around who can help with an answer?

Last edited:
The Mb should be quicker as its lighter and has more torque which it whats makes the difference ;)

Cancel the order and buy a 2nd hand E63 estate, before cars of it's type are legislated off the face of the earth :thumb:.

You're a long time dead :cool:.

Cancel the order and buy a 2nd hand E63 estate, before cars of it's type are legislated off the face of the earth :thumb:.

You're a long time dead :cool:.

Haha - would love one of those. But don't want to visibly see the fuel indicator go down at the same time as my right foot.

Aerodynamics play more of a part than mass to be accelerated at higher speeds .

How often do you travel to Germany , as speeds above 70 are not legal on UK motorways ?

Or can you claim exemptions in connection with work ?

Hi,
Murano will definitely be quicker from 70-90 due to the strange rev nature of the CVT gearbox.
CVT always keeps engine at optimum part of power and torque curve.
Cheers
Steve
P.S. I have a similar engine to the Muranos in our other car - Infiniti G37S coupe - it has the 3.7 litre version of the engine which in Middle East market develops 330hp and has the 7 speed auto with flappy paddles. It used to feel very fast - but now we have the ML63, the Infiniti feels very flat!!

So - on paper Merc is quicker to 60.
But accelerating say from 70-90 (typical motorway overtaking manoeuvere) - which one is likely to accelerate me quicker?

:fail

Any chance you could show some decorum on this public forum?

This is one of times when you DON'T say what you do outright, you put the question hypothetically or substitute autobahn for motorway, for example. Very poor form.

:doh:

This is one of times when you DON'T say what you do outright, you put the question hypothetically or substitute autobahn for motorway, for example. Very poor form.

Oh no the cops are here!!!

Apart from the above , acceleration through a speed range is indeed important for making progress on A roads or other interesting country roads where an opportunity may present within a finite gap or distance .

It is absolutely unimportant on a motorway or other multi lane road where , with proper planning , you may close on a slower vehicle , move out , pass , and move back in - all at a constant speed : given that you have all the time and distance you need to carry out the manoeuvre .

Pontoneer said:
Aerodynamics play more of a part than mass to be accelerated at higher speeds . How often do you travel to Germany , as speeds above 70 are not legal on UK motorways ? Or can you claim exemptions in connection with work ?

I regularly drive at 110 on British motorways without any risk of prosecution.

I just use Km/h...

Apart from the above , acceleration through a speed range is indeed important for making progress on A roads or other interesting country roads where an opportunity may present within a finite gap or distance .

It is absolutely unimportant on a motorway or other multi lane road where , with proper planning , you may close on a slower vehicle , move out , pass , and move back in - all at a constant speed : given that you have all the time and distance you need to carry out the manoeuvre .

Aerodynamics play more of a part than mass to be accelerated at higher speeds .

How often do you travel to Germany , as speeds above 70 are not legal on UK motorways ?

Or can you claim exemptions in connection with work ?

Thanks - valuable input from you guys :thumb:

1. Appreciate the advice on how I plan over taking manoeuveres. It might be confusing if I come across an interesting multi-lane A road. However, I will note down your advice on proper planning.

2. I feel deeply ashamed about my etiquette and behaviour. What was I thinking. Clearly deserve the ticking off here. I might send myself to bed tonight with no supper.

3. I travel to Germany occasionally - usually at speeds of around 600 mph. For the record - this is not on any A roads, motorways, or other interesting country roads.

Thanks again. :thumb:

Last edited:
3. I travel to Germany occasionally - usually at speeds of around 600 mph. For the record - this is not on any A roads, motorways, or other interesting country roads.

Thanks again. :thumb:[/QUOTE]

600mph what do you actually drive. . A rocket?

I rather think there was a note of sarcasm and wit in his reply ...

Maybe he's a pilot... :D

I travel to Germany occasionally - usually at speeds of around 600 mph.

I travel to Spain frequently at similar speeds, but someone else is driving.

Some say that he's the Stig… but they are wrong.

All we know is that the vehicle says "easyJet" on the side...:thumb:

I rather think there was a note of sarcasm and wit in his reply ...

I'm just thankful he didn't ask what the top speed of the car is - for his sake, not mine.

600mph what do you actually drive. . A rocket?[/QUOTE]

I fly there :D

I'm just thankful he didn't ask what the top speed of the car is - for his sake, not mine.

Perhaps he should return and ask if any forum members would buy a car that was speed limited to 70mph.....

Thanks to Pentoneer and GiantManVan this has turned into quite a funny thread. :bannana:

However, the results from the poll so far aren't very conclusive.:dk:

Oh well - only one way to test this. Drag race! :rock:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom