Hose pipe ban east and S.E.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The population of the SE is increasing quite rapidly. It's one of the areas where precipitation levels are low and large natural reservoirs don't tend to occur.

Not virtuous combination to start with.

Now add in reduced levels of precipitation and things ....

Agreed but all of this has been known for many many years and the water companies have done very little about it.
Take Sutton and East Surrrey Water - 85% of their water comes from boreholes and they have one reservoir which supplies 15%. Does not take a genius to work out this is unsustainable but they have done nothing about it.

Just checked our metered water bill and we've paid £463.08 for 161 cubic meters over 12 months.

I'd need to dig a bill out but the water charge is only £1.46 per Cu.m, so how come yours is that much? Mind you, You've used a lot of water there.

I think our bill is about £300 per annum.

The charge for 6 months is:
Supply, 43 Cu.m = £62.81 (£1.46 / Cu.m)
Standing chg = £12.58
Sub Total =£75.39
Used water, 43 Cu.m = £33.09 (£.886 /Cu.m)
Standing Chg = £5.91
Sub total = £44.

Surface water = £40.65

Total for 6 months = £160.04.

Last edited:
Building more reservoirs will hold more water when it rains surely!

Agree live near a proposed site for one, the water company have dragged it on and on, most would welcome it. Water companies seem to want every household on a meter first.

DM I've copied your format if that's OK

The charge for 6 months is: (Severn Trent)

Supply, 25 Cu.m = £36.51 (£1.46 / Cu.m)
Standing chg = £13.65
Sub Total =£50.23

Used water, 25 Cu.m = £14.75 (£.59 /Cu.m)
Standing Chg = £25.18
Sub total = £40.06

Surface water = £0 (?)

Total for 6 months = £90.29

Interesting to see the different pricing for used water and why am I not being charged for surface water I wonder?

Interesting to see the different pricing for used water and why am I not being charged for surface water I wonder?

Have some blokes with an Irish accent nicked your roof... ;)

More realistically, you probably have a soak away.

It's interesting to see the different charge for used water...:dk:

Water supply went up 10p per Cu.m on April 1st 2011.

We save about £600 or more p.a. by switching to a metered supply. :rock:

Your usage seems very low. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
If your surface water is drained directly to a river or the sea you aren't charged AFAIK

If your surface water is drained directly to a river or the sea you aren't charged AFAIK

It all depends on whether the mains drainage system is used at all.

Surface water drainage - If you can prove
to our satisfaction that no surface water or
groundwater from your property drains
directly or indirectly to a public sewer you
may be eligible to pay a lower sewerage
charge.

Has anyone considered the mass unemployment that will be caused by the hosepipe ban. I assume that ""You can legally use a hose pipe to fill a large bucket or container"", will not apply to business users, in particular to our Eastern Block comrades who occupy all of the pub car parks during daylight hours and provide the nations car washing business. No more jet washing for them, only perhaps Easy Jet home.

Has anyone considered the mass unemployment that will be caused by the hosepipe ban. I assume that ""You can legally use a hose pipe to fill a large bucket or container"", will not apply to business users, in particular to our Eastern Block comrades who occupy all of the pub car parks during daylight hours and provide the nations car washing business. No more jet washing for them, only perhaps Easy Jet home.
Hose pipe bans don't apply to businesses, irrespective of where the staff come from. :rolleyes:

Hose pipe bans don't apply to businesses, irrespective of where the staff come from. :rolleyes:

Not strictly true. Our water company is proposing to relax the hosepipe ban for businesses (so as not to damage the fragile economy). It could however enforce it for businesses if it wished.

Not strictly true. Our water company is proposing to relax the hosepipe ban for businesses (so as not to damage the fragile economy). It could however enforce it for businesses if it wished.

Has a hosepipe ban ever been enforced for business users?
This one certainly hasn't been.

UPDATE: Anglian Water confirms first hosepipe ban in 20 years - News - Cambs Times

ANGLIAN Water has today announced it will introduce a hosepipe ban for its domestic consumers, starting from April 5.

Business users are not affected, and there will be a small number of domestic exemptions to protect jobs, livelihoods and the infirm.

Interesting fact.
The ban, the first to be implemented in the region for 20 years, will be enforced to combat the effects of an increasingly severe drought, following the driest 18-month period in more than a century.

No amount of reservoirs will help if the rivers are dry.

The river Prang.

Drought-hit-river-in-Berk-007.jpg

Last edited:
Will there be an amnesty where we can take our hose pipes into a Police station?

Will there be an amnesty where we can take our hose pipes into a Police station?

Mine's been made safe from further use by a registered garden hose professional. It now hangs over the fireplace with its kink in full view.

Hosepipe bans (or restrictions on non essential use) have been applied against businesses in the past. With the economy in the state it is in, it would be damaging for a water company to be accused of being anti business.

Hosepipe bans (or restrictions on non essential use) have been applied against businesses in the past.

I've never known one to be enforced for businesses, even in 1976. Can you show any examples of enforcement for businesses?

I can see hand wash type car wash businesses having enforcement as unlike a mechanised car wash, they don't recycle the water.

The people of Birmingham owe a big debt of gratitute to the foresight of the City Fathers for the construction, 150 odd years ago, of a series on dams in Wales and a pipeline bringing the (lovely soft) water to Birmingham.

And a big thanks also goes to the people of the valley who had to be moved.

If a pipeline such as that could be built so long ago, why not pipe water from Scotland to the south east? We did it for gas.

..or would that hit the water company profits?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom