Hose pipe ban east and S.E.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Move to Cambridge.

Cambridge Water have not announced a hosepipe ban (yet:)).

Yes, I have a rain water butt (sounds like an unpleasant medical condition...) just for watering the yard and cleaning the car occasionally.

Cunning plan? How about lobbying the water companies to actually make an effort to reduce leakage?
And maybe build a few more reservoirs in the SE?
Building some trunk mains to move the water around the country more effectively?
How about a scheme as big as the London ring main, but designed to help the whole country rather than just London?

Might work...

cheers

You can legally use a hose pipe to fill a large bucket or container.

So I have a waterbutt in the garage which I fill when required and then I attach my jetwash hose to the water butt - problem solved.

Perhaps I should get around to linking said waterbutt to the drain pipe of the garage I guess but I doubt I'd collect much.

What did hose pipes ever do wrong?

People leave them on for much longer than when they use the alternative bucket method.

Activity Average weekly use Litres used - per activity Cost per use
Bath 2 80 per bath 15p
Flushing the toilet 35 8 per flush 1.52p
Gravity shower 7 35 per shower 7p
Power shower 7 80 per shower 15p
Washing machine 3 65 per wash 12p
Dishwasher 4 25 5p
Watering the garden 1 540 £1.03
Washing car with bucket 1 (4 buckets) 8 per bucket = 32 litres 6p
Washing car with hose pipe 1 400 - 480 76p - 91.2p

For those with a water meter what's your annual consumption ? We're 50 m^3. (two of us)

Number of People Living at Home ANNUAL WATER USAGE IN CUBIC METRES
Low / Average / High
One 45 / 66 / 100
Two 55 / 110 / 136
Three 82 / 136 / 175
Four 110 / 165 / 210
Five 136 / 182 / 245
Six 155 / 200 / 265

Last edited:
What if you use a hose and the two bucket method?

I use one bucket to stand on to reach the roof and one to keep the stiff brush to use on the lower half in.

For those with a water meter what's your annual consumption ? We're 50 m^3. (two of us)

Just got the latest bill - 115cu.m for the year - approx 3 to 4 in the house

I would appear that nobody has stated the obvious
THERE'S TOO MANY PEOPLE IN THIS COUNTRY

Does this mean it's safe to take winter tyres off now?

Does this mean it's safe to take winter tyres off now?

Judging by the Hyundai Getz I saw with a very mashed wheel-trim and Winter tyres, I guess not yet...

Just checked our metered water bill and we've paid £463.08 for 161 cubic meters over 12 months.

Yes it would but when the population is increasing to record levels year on year with no improvement in infrastructure then it'll only lead to trouble.

How will an improvement in infrastructure make it rain more?

Would only receiving about 50% of the normal level of precipitation have any bearing? :dk:

Met Office: UK rainfall, sunshine and temperature anomaly graphs

The population of the SE is increasing quite rapidly. It's one of the areas where precipitation levels are low and large natural reservoirs don't tend to occur.

Not virtuous combination to start with.

Now add in reduced levels of precipitation and things ....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom