Hospital Appointment Cancelled

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Trickythemerc

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
CLK 220 CDI Sport 2009
At 6.00pm on Friday I got a phone call from a doctor at the hospital cancelling my Monday appointment. Seems they didn't have time on Friday to discuss my scan results before giving me my final lymphoma diagnosis and treatment start date. New appointment set for next Monday and first chemo on the Wednesday, I know how busy these very special people are but having built myself up for this and stopped taking my arthritis meds in preparation for the chemo I am now struggling with the stiffness in my knees and facing another week of struggling to walk and can't go back on the meds.

I have also applied for a blue badge but seem to be playing a waiting game, initial communication was good via email and phone. Last contact over a week back was when they called me to ask for more information on my mobility problems. The result was being asked to attend for an assessment appointment, I am still waiting for the promised letter and getting no reply to my emails.

HO HUM
Need a beer

your knees will soon be ok as there is methatrexate in the chemo,if you dont know methatrexate is a drug used for arthritus

Whenever I read about women offered plastic surgery on the NHS becsuse their appearance was causing them anxiety and depression... I think of cancer patients who have to wait longer for scan results or for a meeting with consultants because of lack of resources at the NHS - and I ask myself when will these patients' anguish and stress be recognised as a real issue that merits the application of the additional resources required to alleviate it?

your knees will soon be ok as there is methatrexate in the chemo,if you dont know methatrexate is a drug used for arthritus
There is no methotrexate in Rchop and I don't ever want MTX again as I suspect that is what caused my lymphoma to kick in. The prednisolone in the Rchop will help the RA hopefully.

I hope it's not the same doctors in oncology that are performing plastic surgery, if it is there are much bigger problems with the NHS than waiting times.
Not same doctors... but their pay comes from the same pot.

If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck.
1501855404_spendpergdp.png

One of the drugs I was administered as part on the R-CHOP regimen was sleep-inducing... can't remember the name now, but I was dozing-off for most of the session... which was a good thing as it can get quite boring :)

I think chemo in general makes you sleepy, I understand that the first treatment can take six or seven hours, better download some books to the ipad.

I feel for the op, this would be a stressful thing for anyone.

Something I can never get my head round is that every time I have been to hospital or doctors recently and due to some issues I have and am going too much is that there are always notices saying this month xxx patients failed to turn up for appointments.

That being said why is it that I always seem to be kept waiting for ages and never get in early.

One of lifes head scratchers.

Robin

If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck.
1501855404_spendpergdp.png

Although I can probably guess the context of this diagram you might want to add a description rather than simply C&P from GOOGLE.

I have sat waiting for my GP appointment and watched the indicator board throw up appointments for people who just don't turn up, makes me very cross because when I try and get an appointment for a simple blood test I am waiting up to ten days, now I know Doctors don't take blood and the Phlebotomist's are only allocated ten minutes per patient so they are under pressure and have to visit two or three different surgeries in the day. The knock on effect of non shows must be a massive waste of valuable time and skills.

A ten quid fine for every non show without good reason or prior cancellation would soon stop these half wits abusing the system, or just kick them off the practise list after say three strikes. Last week I booked a telephone consultation and was given a 7.30am call from the GP, I bet half the non show brigade are still in bed recovering from a booze up or drug binge at that time of day or in MacDonalds with a face full of junk food.

Although I can probably guess the context of this diagram you might want to add a description rather than simply C&P from GOOGLE.

Spending on health: how does the UK compare internationally?

I simply wanted to highlight where the UK stands in relation to its European neighbours. There are many qualifiers of course which should be taken into account but often these simply serve to cloud issues rather than clarify them.
It might be argued that GDP spent on the care of the sick and elderly in a society, which by most measures is now materially better off than when the NHS was founded, is merely a gross reflection of changing societal attitudes. I believe we have become a more selfish society. This is typified at an individual level by the behaviour described by Trickythemerc and I would contend reflected at National level by GDP spending on healthcare . Same thing really but writ large.

Spending on health: how does the UK compare internationally?

I simply wanted to highlight where the UK stands in relation to its European neighbours. There are many qualifiers of course which should be taken into account but often these simply serve to cloud issues rather than clarify them.
It might be argued that GDP spent on the care of the sick and elderly in a society, which by most measures is now materially better off than when the NHS was founded, is merely a gross reflection of changing societal attitudes. I believe we have become a more selfish society. This is typified at an individual level by the behaviour described by Trickythemerc and I would contend reflected at National level by GDP spending on healthcare . Same thing really but writ large.

If you wanted to keep it simple you should have added some commentary, have a look again at your original post, it's meaningless.

I think at the pond life level of thinking it is simply this. Hey the NHS is for free so it matters not that we don't turn up for doctors appointments it's free. I had a serious verbal with some clown in my local who could not understand that his back pain/depression that allows him to drink, sing karaoke three nights a week, go fishing and help his mate in the building trade doesn't convince me that he is a genuine case. He does however feel that my ownership of a Merc and the ability to fund my lifestyle without the need to claim for anything and everything, regardless of entitlement to it is a bit of a joke when I could be on the old disability scam.

Why not he says it's all fu""in paid for innit, so why worry about it. He could have a new car tomorrow on the scam if he wasn't banned for DD and no insurance, that was not his fault....??????:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

I don't mean to be the prophet of doom here, but my wife developed arthritis after her treatment for (NH) lymphoma. Obviously individual results vary...

I have sat waiting for my GP appointment and watched the indicator board throw up appointments for people who just don't turn up, makes me very cross because when I try and get an appointment for a simple blood test I am waiting up to ten days, now I know Doctors don't take blood and the Phlebotomist's are only allocated ten minutes per patient so they are under pressure and have to visit two or three different surgeries in the day. The knock on effect of non shows must be a massive waste of valuable time and skills.

A ten quid fine for every non show without good reason or prior cancellation would soon stop these half wits abusing the system, or just kick them off the practise list after say three strikes. Last week I booked a telephone consultation and was given a 7.30am call from the GP, I bet half the non show brigade are still in bed recovering from a booze up or drug binge at that time of day or in MacDonalds with a face full of junk food.

When we lived in Jersey ( Channel Islands) everybody paid about £40 for a GP appointment, those on benefits went free, but very few people were eligible for benefits, not like the uk. You could get a GP appointment usually within 2 hours.
when we moved to Wales we joined a big practice which was terrible. Then switched to a small 3 doctors practice, brilliant, open surgery 3 hours every morning, you can choose which doctor on duty that you prefer, appointments in advance in afternoons usually within the week. Doctor actually looks at you when you talk to them rather than their computer screen, no only 10 minutes and one ailment rule.
Nurses available without appointment or needing to get doctors referral. I just walk in and say, blood test for... No need for the nurse to check with the doctors, they just check your medical notes which shows what you need.

Talking with other people we know locally we apparently were very lucky that their list was open when we transferred.
Must say also had Prostate removal in Cardiff on NHS as quickly as I could have had it done in Bristol privately , op and aftercare was really first class, although I must admit to switching back to private for ongoing follow up.

The waiting list for NHS surgery is full to capacity with all the immigrants, why will no one say how it is .

The waiting list for NHS surgery is full to capacity with all the immigrants, why will no one say how it is .

Because as a statement it is patently untrue, ignorant and offensive.

Without your "immigrants" the NHS waiting lists would be considerably longer as we have to recruit many Medics, Surgeons, Nurses and other healthcare professionals from abroad to fill the significant gaps in our ability to recruit in to these positions from the pool of UK Citizens.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom