Hotel in Devon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldguy57

MB Enthusiast
Car
Now various and sundry
Can anyone suggest a good hotel in Devon for a quiet mid week break? Not worried about where in Devon but a fairly isolated location would be nice with grounds for just dossing about. Have to give bh a much needed break from stressful job!

Burgh Island Hotel.

Hi,

The Burgh Island Hotel has to be one of the most romantic imaginable, firstly it's an Art Deco style and was visited by Agatha Christie & Noel Coward in the past.

It's actually on a tidal island so you may walk to it across the sands from Bigbury being the closest mainland village at low tide or take a short tractor ride after the tide has covered the beach causeway.

Also close by is The Pilchard inn.

Burgh Island A Beautiful Art Deco Hotel on its own tidal Island in Bigbury-on-Sea, Devon

Dave

I notice there are no prices, what sort of money are you looking at for a weekend ?

Michael Caines has left recently.

I believe he was calling it a day at the end of last year. We were only saying the other day we will have to go see what the new exec chef is like. Mike Wignall I believe who has taken some establishments to their michelin star fame.

I'm down there with work next week but my expense allowance isnt Gidleigh Park generous. So I'll have to slum it at the Carlyon Bay hotel instead.

Last edited:
The Nobody Inn is worth checking out too - good beer and food, quirky and comfortable, off the beaten track and friendly staff and locals.

I believe he was calling it a day at the end of last year. We were only saying the other day we will have to go see what the new exec chef is like. Mike Wignall I believe who has taken some establishments to their michelin star fame.

I'm down there with work next week but my expense allowance isnt Gidleigh Park generous. So I'll have to slum it at the Carlyon Bay hotel instead.

I've a vague recollection that Wignall did a stint at L'Ortolan near Reading which I have always enjoyed.

Gidleigh Park
Bovey Castle
Lewtrenchard
In that order.

I've a vague recollection that Wignall did a stint at L'Ortolan near Reading which I have always enjoyed.

Ah ok I've not heard of that one. This thread has got me wanting to go back to Devon now. I can feel a long weekend coming on :)

Get it booked Ian, you've not been away for aaaaaaaaages!!

:D

I know bloody Canadian wildfires but Germany next then down to Chile in July.

Might aim for end of July before we go back to Cyprus in August.

Mind you see how Germany goes if I end up putting a deposit on an MB that's Devon out of the window :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom