Hotels in York. Your experience please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

trapperjohn

MB Enthusiast
Car
124 300D 24V Estate
As it says in the title. The longsuffering Mrs TJ and me are going to sneak off for a long weekend after the summer madness is over.

Anyone stayed in a really nice place recently in York? I would like some where central near to The Opera House with its own car park if possible. I have tried "google" and have a few in mind. Personal recommendation I always find better than websites any day.

Not interested in £100 a night jobs but something a little "more" than Travel Lodges.

Many moons ago as a teenager I lived in Bishopthorpe so its back to my old stamping grounds for a wee while.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Try the Best Western Dean Court. Its on the corner opposite the Minster, right in the centre of town. Its not one of the cheapest, but its probably the best hotel in York itself. They have their own car park, and do valet parking for you, so loading/unloading is a doddle(especially in the rain!). The restaurant is also excellent, and a destination in itself. They have a variety of rooms, but we generally pay a bit more and get one of the bigger ones overlooking the Minster for the best view in York. The cheaper rooms are nice too, and all seem to be different designs and styles - some really modern, others more traditional in keeping with the building. You'll feel quite smug staying there as its so handy for the town and shops etc, and attracts a lot of people off the street for teas/lunch etc to see what its like. Give it a bash.

And back down again. I have just checked the prices:eek:

I'm more Matalan than Moss Bros, 124 than S Class. Thanks for all the tips though we may pop in for tea:thumb:

Any more for any more.

Hmm.. valet parking, not the place to stay with a C63 then :D

Hmm.. valet parking, not the place to stay with a C63 then :D
They have plenty of tasty stuff in the car park, and there's not the space in the centre of York to strech the legs of a 2CV let alone a C63. Especially on cobbled streets full of Yank tourists.

And back down again. I have just checked the prices:eek:

I'm more Matalan than Moss Bros, 124 than S Class. Thanks for all the tips though we may pop in for tea:thumb:

Any more for any more.

Try the Wheatlands Lodge. Stayed there recently - much cheaper and they have a small carpark. Decent rooms, clean, tidy and does everything you want. Only a 5 min walk from the city walls, and easy to get to from the A64. A basic breakfast was included in the [cheap]price, tho I can't comment on the rest of their food. The bar seemed ok with a strange Laurel & Hardy theme in there though.

The Royal York has a large car park. Check for offers on tinternet. I have stayed at the Royal several times and found it to be at least above average based on price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom