House Alarms

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tan

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
W140 S-Class, Porsche Cayenne and Porsche Boxster
Hi

I am in the process of choosing a new house alarm and in the light of a friend having recently been broken into just after moving into his new house, I think I want to fit a new alarm soon as we can after getting the house.

So my question here is what are people thoughts / advice monitored house alarms, in our last house we had a stand alarm fitted, but this time I am considering if I should go for a monitored alarm.

If going monitored who do you recommend?

Thanks

Tan

We've had a monitored alarm for 10 years. Only one false call in that time. We are with G4S.

We have a monitored system with ADT.
My parents have a monitored alarm too, although there's is with a local alarm company (NACOSS approved)

Wouldn't bother with a standard 'bells only' alarm.

A standard, bells only, alarm can call or text you in the event of a break in though.

Lets be honest, by the time the scum are in, they trigger two zones, the dialler rings the police, and the call gets queued and acted upon, they will be out of your house.

Don't get me wrong, it will minimise the time they spend in your house, but a team of three or four pros will be out of your house in around 3 minutes with jewellery, cars keys and obviously cars.

Most people will ignore house alarms nowadays unless they see someone running out of the house.

You really need to check the strength of your windows and doors, especially UPVC as they can generally be opened with only brute force and a screwdriver.

S

Or does fitting an alarm say, Hey I've got some good stuff in here!

Not sure, but burglars are lazy by nature so will typically go for easier targets such as houses without alarm boxes.

But if you have something nice on display it will not deter them.

Lets be honest, by the time the scum are in, they trigger two zones, the dialler rings the police, and the call gets queued and acted upon, they will be out of your house.

Don't get me wrong, it will minimise the time they spend in your house, but a team of three or four pros will be out of your house in around 3 minutes with jewellery, cars keys and obviously cars.

Most people will ignore house alarms nowadays unless they see someone running out of the house.

You really need to check the strength of your windows and doors, especially UPVC as they can generally be opened with only brute force and a screwdriver.

S

That's very true, in terms of what they look for it's cash, jewellery, watches and of course car keys.

Ensuring that the physical security is as good as you're comfortable with is important. As Simon has stated some locks, especially the Euro style locks fitted to most PVC doors are particularly vulnerable.

As you're moving into a new house, I assume you're going to change the locks on the front / rear & side doors as a matter of course? Whilst doing so, try to see if you can 'upgrade' the lock.

They will rarely take DVD / Bluray players, LCD TV's (although they are sometimes targeted) etc.

Unfortunately if someone is determined enough they will get in no matter what you do. However, the aim really is to get piece of mind and make your home more difficult to get into than a neighbouring property.

Its a sad reflection on society but most burglars are drug addicts so want a soft easy target. An alarm won't stop a professional if they want to get in they will, same as your car alarm if they really want it there going to take it. I have an unmonitored alarm that rings me when activated, touch wood its only gone off twice, when the neighbours cat sneaked in and when my youngest son forgot his keys and tried to get in via a small window.

Totally agree with Simon_M.

Mine is a ADT monitored one. If tripped will try to call me, then my wife, then up to three keyholders. If no one picks up the call goes to the local police station and they send a squad car round.

The other day the window cleaner rocked up unannounced when we were out and tripped it. No one picked up and so Plod came round.

I was quite reassured to know that it all worked as intended.

... I have an unmonitored alarm that rings me when activated, touch wood its only gone off twice, when the neighbours cat sneaked in and when my youngest son forgot his keys and tried to get in via a small window.

My parents and my sister had (and yes this is past tense) similar systems. I was the lucky person to get calls from both of them (and even my sisters tennants when she let our her house!) on more than one occasion.

My exprience was that we had a lot of false alarms from them although I guess if properly installed no problem. I'd rather let a monitoring centre / the Police deal with it and let me know if there's an issue.

but a team of three or four pros will be out of your house in around 3 minutes with jewellery, cars keys and obviously cars.

You keep your cars in the house?

You C63 Boys...;)

You keep your cars in the house?

2425R_BOX.jpg

If you leave it outside, the box might get soggy...............

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom